SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Mar 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #198 of 590
I have to say even though I have purchased grey and brown filters, I have finally got the medium foam tips in and I'm very satisfied, begs the question do I try and change anything, these are simply a dream after apple premium buds and Senn hd25's, loving them, doing what we all should do and enjoying the music :D

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #199 of 590
I have to say even though I have purchased grey and brown filters, I have finally got the medium foam tips in and I'm very satisfied, begs the question do I try and change anything, these are simply a dream after apple premium buds and Senn hd25's, loving them, doing what we all should do and enjoying the music :D

If you are happy then keep it as is. The reason I installed the brown dampers is I wanted a little more bass from my SE530.

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #201 of 590
Little update after having the whole compliment of filters available from Mouser for over two weeks now ...

I've tried all the tips and really only found the white and brown to be enjoyable ... the rest are either too thin or too muddy ...

I had the browns in for a good while ... and honestly, I really like the difference they make over the stock Shure filters ... little more bass forward, mids ever so slightly dialed down ... a very interesting transformation of the SE535's ...

But in the end, I found myself sort of craving that killer, upfront midrange that the stock 535 provides and so I put the white filters in (the Mouser ones) and for the past week I've been listening to only those and have to say, I like them the best. Supposedly these are the same frequency profile as the stock Shure filters and I've found this to be true but with a couple, subtle differences (see below) ...

But I think I prefer the white filters over the brown as I just like the forward mids of the 535 in it's stock configuration ... I've had three pair of these IEMS (including a 530) over the past four years and I guess my brain has just become acclimated to the stock Shure sound profile.

But even though the new Mouser "white" filter I installed is basically the same frequency spread as the filter that shipped from Shure ... I can still say there are definite differences that some users might enjoy (as I do) ... or dislike.

First and foremost ... there is a more striking "clarity" to everything ... the overall sound sig is not quite as "warm" or "lush" as the stock Shure filters. The frequencies all come through sounding about the same but the overall mix is a bit more "clarion," if you will ... a bit more hyper detailed.

Second, instruments sound more distinct from one another ... highs sound more articulate. I find the change to be quite lovely ... especially with small jazz ensembles where the cymbals, piano and upright bass now stand out quite a bit more from each other than before. 

The 535 IEMs ... with the new Mouser white filters, though still very smooth and natural ... are not quite as smooth (super smoothed out) as the stock Shure filters. I like this now that my ear/brain has acclimated to it, but at first it was strange. With the new white filters, the 535 is a more detailed, resolving IEM in my estimation ... and overall, even when using the after market filter that is a supposed match for the stock Shure filter, the IEM is a pretty different beast still. I would venture to say that, without any EQ of any kind, the 535's are even more neutral/flat across the board with the Mouser white fitlters installed. I've always used some sort of EQ settings with my J3/535 combo, though ... and this  is still the case ... but the EQ settings are even more dramatically apparent with the new white filter (again, everything is just more articulate).

I'm going to get a stock pair of 535's in the near future to do a more in depth review/comparison ... but for now, the above is what I'm hearing.

I'm happy with the change. I enjoy the increased detail (especially the improved highs) with the white filters ... while still getting the same basic mid-centric, house Shure sound.

Just thought I would share as even with the white filters that are a reported frequency match for the stock Shure filters ... there are still some rather noticeable differences in the over all sound sig. Differences which I personally enjoy ...

(BTW ... all of those impressions were while listening with the Shure "black olive' foam tips)

Rock.

smile.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #202 of 590
Thanks @s1rrah for that detailed and informative review.  I have been enjoying the brown dampers because I wanted the increased bass and warmer signature.  I still have a pair of the white dampers that i haven't tried yet and after reading your review, I will definitely need to give it a go.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #205 of 590
the broken one is the stock shure red filter and the one on the right is the on I bought from etymotic. They look exactly the same which means they might be exactly the same thing...... Shipping is also cheaper for people overseas too :p don't quote me though I'm still not 100 percent sure and might be suffering new toy syndrome

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #206 of 590
the broken one is the stock shure red filter and the one on the right is the on I bought from etymotic. They look exactly the same which means they might be exactly the same thing...... Shipping is also cheaper for people overseas too
tongue.gif
don't quote me though I'm still not 100 percent sure and might be suffering new toy syndrome

Do you mean the Ety filters are the same as the stock Shure SE535 filters? If so, where are they at on the Ety site? I found ones for the 6i earphone but they look totally different than those ...

Thanks,
Joel

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #208 of 590

Do you mean the Ety filters are the same as the stock Shure SE535 filters? If so, where are they at on the Ety site? I found ones for the 6i earphone but they look totally different than those ...

Thanks,
Joel

Its the grey ones on the accessories page from etymotics. It looks the same as the stock Red LE editions of the SE535 but not the Stock SE535. But Im not sure if it is 100 percent the same.....

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #209 of 590
The boys at the Ety "NRB" thread say the Ety greys are not the same as the Knowles greys:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626457/nrb-mod-nut-rattlin-bass-from-an-ety-yes-yes-yes-how-to-nrb-mod

But the greens are the same.  BTW the cheapest source I found for these filters is Westone where they are $2ea and $6.25 for US shipping.  However, Ety will ship internationally for $2 in shipping!
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/professional-supplies/acoustic-modification-and-venting.html
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/all-acc.html

Another note.  I think I managed to repair my stock SE530 filters which were accidentally "pushed in" during cleaning.  Since the whole filter paper was pushed through and not a hold punched, I fished the filter out of the housing and, using the cleaning tool, fit it back into the metal housing like a pie crust into a pie tray.  I only have the Knowles Grey, "stock" repaired, and Ety Green to compare, but the SE530 "stock" is the blandest, I think that's true of stock SE530 where the sub-bass isn't quite there.  Green boosts the bass, and grey really ruins everything.  Looking to try the browns.

If anyone has spare brown filters and wants to try the supposed "LTD" greys, shoot me a PM!

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #210 of 590
Mouser 1.84 each plus 4.99 shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back