SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Mar 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #212 of 590
  The boys at the Ety "NRB" thread say the Ety greys are not the same as the Knowles greys:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626457/nrb-mod-nut-rattlin-bass-from-an-ety-yes-yes-yes-how-to-nrb-mod

But the greens are the same.  BTW the cheapest source I found for these filters is Westone where they are $2ea and $6.25 for US shipping.  However, Ety will ship internationally for $2 in shipping!
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/professional-supplies/acoustic-modification-and-venting.html
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/all-acc.html

Another note.  I think I managed to repair my stock SE530 filters which were accidentally "pushed in" during cleaning.  Since the whole filter paper was pushed through and not a hold punched, I fished the filter out of the housing and, using the cleaning tool, fit it back into the metal housing like a pie crust into a pie tray.  I only have the Knowles Grey, "stock" repaired, and Ety Green to compare, but the SE530 "stock" is the blandest, I think that's true of stock SE530 where the sub-bass isn't quite there.  Green boosts the bass, and grey really ruins everything.  Looking to try the browns.

If anyone has spare brown filters and wants to try the supposed "LTD" greys, shoot me a PM!

It looks exactly the same as the filter in the SE535 LTD though?  (But I dont think they are the Knowles filter, the knowles filter has a metal ring around it) Which means that Shure didnt use the Knowles filter? Instead I think they shared the same source for the grey filter as etymotic since it is a carbon copy >.< 

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #214 of 590
Hi, I just bought the Shure SE425s from Head Room, and I wondered if these dampers would work with them as well.  I couldn't afford the SE535s at this time, but I'm hoping to get the most out of these 425s.  I'm brand new to the forum, and it's this thread that got me in.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #215 of 590
  Hi, I just bought the Shure SE425s from Head Room, and I wondered if these dampers would work with them as well.  I couldn't afford the SE535s at this time, but I'm hoping to get the most out of these 425s.  I'm brand new to the forum, and it's this thread that got me in.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

Yes. The aftermarket filters will work ...

That said ...

The SE425's are excellent IEMs. Some folk prefer them over the SE535. So don't assume you've short changed yourself by going with the 425's ... they are very good.

I would suggest getting acclimated to the 425's with the stock filters installed, first. Enjoy them for a bit and then read through the thread completely, taking in to account the plus' and minus' ... and then decide if you want to commit to changing the filters. I say this for a couple different reasons:

1. The stock filters sound just fine; and the aftermarket filters, aren't necessarily better, they just slightly change the general frequency presentation (for instance, I some times miss the more smooth tone of the stock Shure filters vs. the more analytic presentation of the aftermarket filters. Even with the aftermarket filters that are a known match for the stock Shure filters (the white ones) ... there is still a clear difference in sound (aftermarket is a tad more detailed, more analytic but also a tad more "thin" sounding compared to the exceptionally warm presentation of the stock Shure filters...this is something I'm okay with but others might not like it.) I find the Shure IEM's to be a much more "reference" sounding IEM with the aftermarket filters ... not quite as "fun" but more detailed, more clear and not quite as "fat" of a sound. Others might disagree with me ... but using the white aftermarket filters, almost exclusively for the past two months ... and having listened to the stock Shure filters for more than four years ... it's pretty clear that this is the case (to my ear, anyway).

2. You will most likely (almost guaranteed) destroy the stock Shure filters getting them out of the nozzles; once that is done, you are bound completely to the aftermarket filters (which are actually quite easy to insert and remove without damaging them if you read through the thread and use the right tools and are careful). But once the Shure stock filters are destroyed, there is no replacing them unless you send the IEMs back to Shure and pay a pretty hefty repair bill per each ear bud. Shure will not sell you filters.

So consider those points.

But like I said, I would just enjoy the IEMs for a bit ... there is nothing at all wrong with the stock filters and again, the aftermarket filters aren't necessarily better. The variety of filters will just allow you to hear different sonics from the IEMs. Personally, I only found the "white" aftermarket filters (same frequency range as stock Shure filters) and the "brown" aftermarket filters (slightly more bass than the stock Shure filters and mid range not as prominent/a bit recessed) ... to be acceptable. And really, being quite addicted to the mid-centric sound of the stock Shure filters, I've listened 99% with the "white" aftermarket filters.

But it's still not the same as the stock Shure filters ... which, although obviously the same frequency mix as the "white" aftermarket filters, is just a bit more layed back, a bit more warm and overall, and has a bit more "fleshy" sound signature.

Hope that helps ... 

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #216 of 590
Cool, thanks for the response.  This makes sense, and I'd probably actually prefer the fleshier sound of the stock filters.  And it's true, aftermarket doesn't always improve on something a good company spends a lot of time getting right in the first place.  I'll hang with the stock for a while...

Thanks again.

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #217 of 590
  Cool, thanks for the response.  This makes sense, and I'd probably actually prefer the fleshier sound of the stock filters.  And it's true, aftermarket doesn't always improve on something a good company spends a lot of time getting right in the first place.  I'll hang with the stock for a while...

Thanks again.

Yup. Always try to stick to the stock. But of course, if you don't like it, you can try the other filters. The white filters(aftermarket) are identical to shure's filters, so it's not too risky.

May 1, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #218 of 590
hello everybody! im looking for this dampers for my 425 and 535 (bronze) both have no stock filter at all, and even when they sound quite detailed, it sound is to harsh and bright to me.
the prob is that im in mexico, to here i have to pay like 35-40usd just for shipping from mouser or westone.
do you know some other place i could get them?
thanks in advanced!

May 2, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #219 of 590
  hello everybody! im looking for this dampers for my 425 and 535 (bronze) both have no stock filter at all, and even when they sound quite detailed, it sound is to harsh and bright to me.
the prob is that im in mexico, to here i have to pay like 35-40usd just for shipping from mouser or westone.
thanks in advanced!

Etymotic? 

May 3, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #221 of 590
Seems reliable con the shipping bit alzó to expensive, like 39usd con fedex.
Im dammed and condemn :frowning2:
Also there in etymotic store doesn't have the browns I want, but the white would be really appreciated.
On eBay, nobody selling them

Try the greys I believe its not 39 dollars shipping if you look closely it says itll refund shipping for international orders under X amount 

May 3, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #222 of 590
thanks in advanced!

Try ordering through the Mexico Mouser Electronics site

May 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #223 of 590
Try the greys I believe its not 39 dollars shipping if you look closely it says itll refund shipping for international orders under X amount 

The max amount I would buy is about 18-20usd, I'm damned

Thanks, they still have to ship internationally and the cost is 30usd, for 14usd I'm buying
If I saw someone willing to buy some and split the shipping I would, start to ask to my friends with SE iems

May 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #224 of 590
The max amount I would buy is about 18-20usd, I'm damned

Then you're fine, its only items over 100 dollars (or something like that) go and check it 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back