SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Feb 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #181 of 590
No not worth the msrp but they can be had for 250.00 I've gotten a few at that price r a me and for that amount of money I feel like they are worth it.

Are you talking about the SE535?

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #182 of 590
Well hot diggity ...

Been swapping filters for the past hour and just have to say ... pretty darn cool. Like having plug and play EQ settings.

Favs are the Greys, Whites (stock) and Browns ... as others have said, even the supposedly stock Knowles dampers (the whites) sound better to my ear that the stock Shure ... more clarity but basically the same freq profile.

I'll most likely end up settling on the Browns though as I like the slightly smoother sound, slightly "creamier" mids and slightly deeper bass. Best daily listener for me.

I dig the Greys too but might be just a bit too sharp for my ear.

Highly recommended mod.

EDIT: I use the SE535's with a Cowon J3 and no amp. Traditionally, I've very much enjoyed the J3's equalizer settings with the stock 535's ... and with the uber smooth (perhaps a bit too smooth at times) BROWN dampers, I find the J3's built in EQ settings are even better. Like the BROWN far better than Shure's default dampers with the J3's built in EQ effects ... 

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #183 of 590
Well hot diggity ...

Been swapping filters for the past hour and just have to say ... pretty darn cool. Like having plug and play EQ settings.

Favs are the Greys, Whites (stock) and Browns ... as others have said, even the supposedly stock Knowles dampers (the whites) sound better to my ear that the stock Shure ... more clarity but basically the same freq profile.

I'll most likely end up settling on the Browns though as I like the slightly smoother sound, slightly "creamier" mids and slightly deeper bass. Best daily listener for me.

I dig the Greys too but might be just a bit too sharp for my ear.

Highly recommended mod.

EDIT: I use the SE535's with a Cowon J3 and no amp. Traditionally, I've very much enjoyed the J3's equalizer settings with the stock 535's ... and with the uber smooth (perhaps a bit too smooth at times) BROWN dampers, I find the J3's built in EQ settings are even better. Like the BROWN far better than Shure's default dampers with the J3's built in EQ effects ... 

Nice! I've actually been using the j3 with the shure se535 as well. I just recently upgraded the cable and added a fiio e18 as an amp and it sounds amazing for even the minimalist of details but can be a little fatiguing for long time listening, so hoping the brown when they come in will do the trick of smoothing, great to hear someone still uses the j3 like me!

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #185 of 590
  So... no one prefers stock.

Hmmm why did shure choose the white as a stock?

Actually I think Shure got it right, though I do find the Knowles whites a bit better than stock Shures... so maybe Shure should have used Knowles. :)

The browns are nice but I do hear a little less detail from them so currently I'm using the whites... I might have another go with the browns next week though. Anyone who finds the SE535s fatiguing may like the browns.

thekash: The delivery took about a week and a half.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #186 of 590
Nice! I've actually been using the j3 with the shure se535 as well. I just recently upgraded the cable and added a fiio e18 as an amp and it sounds amazing for even the minimalist of details but can be a little fatiguing for long time listening, so hoping the brown when they come in will do the trick of smoothing, great to hear someone still uses the j3 like me!

I love the J3; for my needs and as a near constant daily listener while at work, I find it to be a perfect player. My only complaint is no discreet line out but I can live with that...

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #189 of 590
Mar 4, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #191 of 590
Well. My filters from etymotic arrived. Good news is they look the same but they didnt give me the filter removal tool I ordered 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back