Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Aug 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #47 of 2,717
Mr. Tom, you mentioned in your earlier postings that the Bifrost could be bright when matched with the Valhalla. Wouldn't the tubes mellow the edges somewhat? Am mulling over whether to get the Bifrost or not as I'm presently running straight from the CDP to the Valhalla, basically using the CDP's built-in DAC, which is quite good to these ears.

But, wondering if a standalone Bifrost connected to the CDP and on to the amp would make a noticeable difference. i love my sound to be on the warmer side of neutral but was apprehensive after reading your post.

Can you elaborate more on the sound sig of your rig (Valhalla + Bifrost)? Cheers

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #48 of 2,717
I dont recall stating it was bright, but now that it's been running for about a month, I can 100 % honestly say, it's not bright at all. It's the most neutral DAC I've ever owned.

Team up with the Valhalla(also very neutral), you'll get a very honest playback of your source material, and this sword cuts both ways.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #50 of 2,717
Sep 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #51 of 2,717
Quote:
So I've found what I feel is the end of my search. These NOS Russian tubes are Fantastic! They do everything they way they should. I've reached 100% audio bliss!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626399/the-best-of-the-bunch-russian-tubes-for-schiit-valhalla-version-1-2

And have you reserved a set for me, Mr Tom? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #52 of 2,717
Of coarse.
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #53 of 2,717
Just tossed mine into the valhalla.

Already I can hear the difference. Especially in the bass. It's just... there now. Where it should be. Imaging is really great. Really really good. 
So far this early in, I'm liking them. Very musical. The volume seems a touch louder on the left side than the right, but it could just be my weird right ear.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #54 of 2,717
Quote:
Just tossed mine into the valhalla.

Already I can hear the difference. Especially in the bass. It's just... there now. Where it should be. Imaging is really great. Really really good. 
So far this early in, I'm liking them. Very musical. The volume seems a touch louder on the left side than the right, but it could just be my weird right ear.

It really is a fantastic combo. The Russians really made some high quality stuff during the 60~70's

Try reversing the tubes and see if it changes. It should not change at all, as I match the tubes section to section and tube to tube within 2%(thats very close).

If you find there's an imbalance, send them back, and I'll send you a different set.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #55 of 2,717
Hi all-
Just saw this thread, so am jumping in a couple months late. I have really liked the amp top to bottom with stock tubes so haven't tried anything else until now. Grabbed a pair of JAN Sylvania 6dj8 from my Sonic Frontiers and was shocked at the magnitude of the changes (usually tube changes are subtle). These were NOT changes for the better. Cold, threadbare, sterile. So I agree with Mr Tom about Schiit's knowing what they're doing with the 6n1p. May roll something else in the future but sure won't spend a bunch of $ to do so.

Just got a Dragonfly for a "traveling" dac so have been listening to it a bit, but no real comparisons to the Bifrost. Was shocked at the improvement it made to the MP3 files on my wife's Macbook Pro. What a killer product for the non-audiophile market!
Thanks, enjoying the forums.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #56 of 2,717
I am new to this forum and indeed the topic. I am very much an analogue buff and I cant avoid the temptation of vinyl and to fire up my old AKAI...

I am to invest in a DAC and a headphone amp to use with my Macbook Pro and I am hoping to keep the budget sensible. I like Tubes and I am tempted to buy the Schitt Valhalla and Bifrost set up.. seems on average to be good value.. I am not a purist, but I do like crisp sound and big bass. I understand these tube units need to be run-in for a few days and I notice there are some options to upgrade the tubes for "better ones" Is this really necessary considering manufacturers would offer the best option tube from new..? why is it necessary to upgrade tubes on this amps..

I am based in Ireland so Voltage will have to be 220/240VAC in case there was some secondhand gear about 

Regards
Paul

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #57 of 2,717
Nothing wrong with the stock tubes.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #59 of 2,717
Hi all, received Valhalla and Bifrost mid December. Purchased some new tubes and changed out stock tubes, some change in clarity for the better, headphones brighter to me anyway. Using Russian NOS 6H23N-EB. Have really enjoyed listening to some new dowloaded music.

Question will changing tubes to often wear out the tube socket, pin connections?

Thanks

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #60 of 2,717
Quote:
I order the new valhalla, so i'm also in the game.

my first tube will be amperex bugle boy  i don't which year but yeah...

thanks

Great! 
beerchug.gif
  Hope you enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back