Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jan 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #62 of 2,716
Quote:
Hi solserenade.

In the Valhalla, there are 4 tubes.  Do I need all same tubes? or Do I need different types of tubes?  I ordered 2 amperex.

Thank you

When you receive the amp, it will have all four tubes in it. (well, you will insert them)

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=4

Usually, people swap-out the pre-amp (input) tubes--they are the two smaller ones toward the front (one per channel). I assume that is what you ordered, the Amperex.

In your tube swapping (rolling) you will always be exchanging pairs -- for instance, the two shorter ones in front. That would be the left and right channel pre-amp tubes.

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=2

On the Valhalla web page, it describes the two tube types, as well as potential substitutions for the pre-amp tubes. 

Hope that helps.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #63 of 2,716
Ben (Mr Tom) finally got free of the coal mines and had a chance to send me the Russian tubes he discusses in this thread.  Let's just say they were MORE than worth the wait (and I highly recommend Ben as a seller although I don't think his rep needs any more help judging by his history here).

This is like listening to a different amp, with different headphones all over again.  Being new to the hobby, I'm literally blown away that tubes can make this much difference.  More punch, clarity, smoother highs, and I actually now understand what the "veil" is that people talk about with HD650's, because I'd been hearing it for two months and now it's gone.

I feel bad because I'm not sure he has any more sets, or will be able to get more, but I can't imagine anything being capable of making this amp sound better.  Night and day vs. the stock tubes in my admittedly new-to-the-game opinion.

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #67 of 2,716
Quote:
I just ordered the Amperex Orange Globe 1967 6dj8 ecc88.

Cool.  
beerchug.gif

I had a very nice session last night listening through the Valhalla (with 1971 Amperex). I'm quite pleased with the bass (as compared with the stock tubes) -- which is what I was looking for -- and the clarity throughout the frequency spectrum is really nice.

My Valhalla is in a rack with a vintage receiver, TT, etc. For a few weeks I had trouble turning it on, knowing the old receiver was kicking it's 'holla. 

Now, (last night anyway) the Valhalla is right up there, with the bass filled out, etc. - I no longer felt the receiver was doing a significantly better job.

I'd like to thank the person who recommended this tube for a bass boost (for lack of a better term).  The amp has not sounded better.  
smile_phones.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #68 of 2,716
Yes, with my 1962 bugle boy sounded clear.  Right now I'm using lcd2, it's my first ortho headphone.  It was warm sound signature, it's great with my tube and valhalla.  top to bottom I just love it! 
L3000.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #70 of 2,716
can anyone explain this?

The only active devices in the audio signal path in Valhalla are tubes. The 6N1P triodes input provides linear, low noise voltage gain. The 6N6P triodes provide good power output capability for a wide variety of high-impedance headphones (though, if you're looking at orthos, check Mjolnir, Lyr and Asgard instead.)

Is this mean Valhalla is not good for ortho headphone or can not drive ortho headphone?

Thanks

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #72 of 2,716
Quote:
I'm a newbie to tube amps.
I want to by schiit valhalla and I found people discussing "tube rolling".
What does "tube rolling" means?

It simply refers to swapping, or switching, one set of tubes for another ... or another, etc.  Since different tubes have characteristics that affect the tone and musicality, etc., people like to "try on" different sounds - by researching what is compatible, then replacing the stock tubes with a (compatible) different one.

Rolling got it's name, as I understand it, from the physical action of removing a tube safely/carefully/efficiently from the socket--by gently "rolling" (or rocking) the tube, sometimes in a circular fashion, to help with the friction of the socket hanging onto the tube ... gently "rolling" or rocking (a slight angle to the socket) the tube, while pulling up (as opposed to only pulling straight up ... I believe it's a kinder way to treat tubes and sockets in the long run).

The process could be called "tube swapping", "switching", "changing", etc. just as well. It's a (generally optional) part of the hobby - the adventure of seeking a different sound, the sound, or even a different "sound profile" altogether - maybe to better match a particular headphone .. for instance. 

beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #73 of 2,716
Quote:

It simply refers to swapping, or switching, one set of tubes for another ... or another, etc.  Since different tubes have characteristics that affect the tone and musicality, etc., people like to "try on" different sounds - by researching what is compatible, then replacing the stock tubes with a (compatible) different one.

Rolling got it's name, as I understand it, from the physical action of removing a tube safely/carefully/efficiently from the socket--by gently "rolling" (or rocking) the tube, sometimes in a circular fashion, to help with the friction of the socket hanging onto the tube ... gently "rolling" or rocking (a slight angle to the socket) the tube, while pulling up (as opposed to only pulling straight up ... I believe it's a kinder way to treat tubes and sockets in the long run).

The process could be called "tube swapping", "switching", "changing", etc. just as well. It's a (generally optional) part of the hobby - the adventure of seeking a different sound, the sound, or even a different "sound profile" altogether - maybe to better match a particular headphone .. for instance. 

beerchug.gif

Woo~Thank you very much.
I just got my Valhalla and is there any posts or threads that sum up the tubes that compatible?

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #74 of 2,716
Quote:
Valhalla and lcd2 is simply awesome combo!! Astonish combo! my lcd2 burned about 4 days straight! Now I'm hearing Power of lcd2!!
such musical headphone!!

I too am puzzled when people say that the LCD-2 can't be driven well by the Vahalla. Technically, I know the reasons why they shouldn't work and even Schiit advises against the LCD-2 Vahalla combo, but to me, the LCD-2 (stock tubes) and the Vahalla was wonderfully organic, smooth and natural.

The Asgard was more muffled-sounding and at the same time, gave me a less natural soundstage and was fatiguing. I felt mentally exhaused within 5 minutes of listening through the Asgard. The Vahalla-LCD-2 was had a much more well-rounded and more coherent soundstage and I experienced no fatigue and no sibilance despite it being brighter. Take note that I listen at very low volumes though so there's every possibility that the Vahalla runs out of juice at volumes higher than what I listen at. I have also yet to hear the Lyr-LCD-2 combo, but if that turns out to be fatiguing as well, then I suspect the transistor output stage of the Lyr/Asgard is responsible for that fatigue compared to the tubed output of the Vahalla.

I always prefer a warmer, thicker and more bass-heavy sound, but the Vahalla and LCD-2 was a wonderful combination. If I could roll out the stock tubes to be less bright, that would be even better. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this combo.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #75 of 2,716
Quote:

I too am puzzled when people say that the LCD-2 can't be driven well by the Vahalla. Technically, I know the reasons why they shouldn't work and even Schiit advises against the LCD-2 Vahalla combo, but to me, the LCD-2 (stock tubes) and the Vahalla was wonderfully organic, smooth and natural.

The Asgard was more muffled-sounding and at the same time, gave me a less natural soundstage and was fatiguing. I felt mentally exhaused within 5 minutes of listening through the Asgard. The Vahalla-LCD-2 was had a much more well-rounded and more coherent soundstage and I experienced no fatigue and no sibilance despite it being brighter. Take note that I listen at very low volumes though so there's every possibility that the Vahalla runs out of juice at volumes higher than what I listen at. I have also yet to hear the Lyr-LCD-2 combo, but if that turns out to be fatiguing as well, then I suspect the transistor output stage of the Lyr/Asgard is responsible for that fatigue compared to the tubed output of the Vahalla.

I always prefer a warmer, thicker and more bass-heavy sound, but the Vahalla and LCD-2 was a wonderful combination. If I could roll out the stock tubes to be less bright, that would be even better. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this combo.

you can have some fun with tube rolling, if you're into tube rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back