Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Aug 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #31 of 2,716
Hi all, I just found away to add more slam with a full liquid rainbow SQ.

Get some 60's era 6n6p's. The different's is as great as a 6n1p change. I also tried some 6n6p from the 80's and the slam was not there to the same degree. I guess the Red's were making killer tubes in the 60's!

One other thing, this set of 68's I got are 1/4" taller.

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #32 of 2,716
This is a repost for the rolling thread.

I dug around today and found some tubes I forgot I had. There 1972 6n1p-BN. There the finest made tubes I've ever seen. There sounds is so pin point precise, that it's down right scary with the lights off. Very deep punchy bass, and more sub like bass then I've heard from any other tubes. But the treble comes thru as clear as the bass, so there hard on the ears with anything thats not perfectly mastered! So I have a handful of albums that have never sounded sooo perfect, and a truck load of albums that I can not enjoy(unless the volume is very low). The tubes look just like this one in the pic. Notice the fine detail in the insulating spacers, not something you see everyday.

I'm holding true to my findings on that the 6n23p is best for everyday use, with any type of music. The 6n23p does nothing Excellent, and most everything Good~very good.

Listening to the 6n1p-bn as I type this. Talk about lip smacking detail! It's like being there!

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #33 of 2,716
Mr. Tom,

Which brand is the 6n1p-bn tube you mentioned below?  Am getting my Valhalla soon and am learning as much as i can on tube rolling as well as the different sound signature it produces. Looking for something to boost the bass especially so appreciate if you could advise me on this :)

Can we change the 6n6p output tubes as well? What complementary tube types would be appropriate for them?

Cheers
Quote:
This is a repost for the rolling thread.

I dug around today and found some tubes I forgot I had. There 1972 6n1p-BN. There the finest made tubes I've ever seen. There sounds is so pin point precise, that it's down right scary with the lights off. Very deep punchy bass, and more sub like bass then I've heard from any other tubes. But the treble comes thru as clear as the bass, so there hard on the ears with anything thats not perfectly mastered! So I have a handful of albums that have never sounded sooo perfect, and a truck load of albums that I can not enjoy(unless the volume is very low). The tubes look just like this one in the pic. Notice the fine detail in the insulating spacers, not something you see everyday.

I'm holding true to my findings on that the 6n23p is best for everyday use, with any type of music. The 6n23p does nothing Excellent, and most everything Good~very good.

Listening to the 6n1p-bn as I type this. Talk about lip smacking detail! It's like being there!

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #34 of 2,716
The brand is Novosibirsk. The key thing I've found about Russian tubes, is there years. The tubes made from the mid 60's to the mid 70's seem to be the best. Later years can sound good, but it's hit or miss, and they dont seem to match as well. I find it unlikely you'll find any of these tubes(you could get lucky). I'll ship you two matched NOS, for $27.

On the 6n6p front, there's not much to choose from. 6n6p, 6n6p-i, 6n6p-eb. Again try to find some from the 70~80's.

Quote:
Mr. Tom,

Which brand is the 6n1p-bn tube you mentioned below?  Am getting my Valhalla soon and am learning as much as i can on tube rolling as well as the different sound signature it produces. Looking for something to boost the bass especially so appreciate if you could advise me on this :)

Can we change the 6n6p output tubes as well? What complementary tube types would be appropriate for them?

Cheers

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #35 of 2,716
Quote:
The brand is Novosibirsk. The key thing I've found about Russian tubes, is there years. The tubes made from the mid 60's to the mid 70's seem to be the best. Later years can sound good, but it's hit or miss, and they dont seem to match as well. I find it unlikely you'll find any of these tubes(you could get lucky). I'll ship you two matched NOS, for $27.

On the 6n6p front, there's not much to choose from. 6n6p, 6n6p-i, 6n6p-eb. Again try to find some from the 70~80's.

That sounds good. What is the expected shipping cost? Am based in Malaysia. Will you accept Paypal payments? Cheers

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #37 of 2,716
Quote:
Btw, will these work for the Lyr as well?

Yes, but I have no idea how they will sound. Given the Lyr is more mellow than the Valhalla, I'd guess they would sound good.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #38 of 2,716
I was looking around for some tubes to try out and came across the Gold Lion 6922. Someone in another thread happened to mention it too. I was looking for the prices of them online and am a little confused. They are about 50 bucks each on one website, and on another they're about 80 for "cryotreated and matched pair." Why would those be cheaper? I was under the impression that cryotreating would make them more expensive? 

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #39 of 2,716
Not exactly tube rolling, but I did need to roll the tubes to get these socket savers installed.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #41 of 2,716
Quote:
Where would one get the socket savers? Are they supposed to make tube rolling easier?

I got them off Ebay. They make getting the tube out of a Valhalla easy.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #42 of 2,716
Quote:
Not exactly tube rolling, but I did need to roll the tubes to get these socket savers installed.
biggrin.gif

Nice shots, Tom!

What are those tubes you have rolled in?

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #43 of 2,716
I've been playing around with some 6n6pi tubes that seem to give a deeper fatter bass.

I've also been using some 6n1p from the mid 60's that are by far the best sounding 6n1p so far. There sounding better than the 6n23p's in every way except bass(not quite as fat).

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #44 of 2,716
Quote:
I've been playing around with some 6n6pi tubes that seem to give a deeper fatter bass.

I've also been using some 6n1p from the mid 60's that are by far the best sounding 6n1p so far. There sounding better than the 6n23p's in every way except bass(not quite as fat).

Are the 6n6pi ones similar to those i got off you?

Need to try your mid-60s ones :)

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #45 of 2,716
Quote:
Are the 6n6pi ones similar to those i got off you?

Need to try your mid-60s ones :)

No, there the power tubes(tall ones). The difference I'm hearing is not large enough to justify the change. But if you need power tubes down the road, they work well.

The 6n1p(short tubes) are where most of the change in sound from tube to tube happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back