Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
May 17, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,186 of 2,717
Thank you for your response! I had a dilema, buy Valhalla 2 or Lyr 3 just for my T1.1 with Bifrost MB, no other headphones for best sound result.
You went the best route, for the 600 ohm T1.1, with Valhalla 2. You can get some insane bass, from that combo, with the right tubes!

May 17, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #1,187 of 2,717
You went the best route, for the 600 ohm T1.1, with Valhalla 2. You can get some insane bass, from that combo, with the right tubes!
Good to hear! I am quite happy, just have no comparsion.

May 17, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,188 of 2,717
IMG_0147.JPG
(random post) My Tube sprallllll and management ;D --> Bought the Val2 used and he included a variety of tubes... only bought one set of 4 on my own -- lyr3 at desk now (why Val2's sitting out for the moment) Yep I'm a dork, printed a cover tall enough for socket savers.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #1,189 of 2,717

(random post) My Tube sprallllll and management ;D --> Bought the Val2 used and he included a variety of tubes... only bought one set of 4 on my own -- lyr3 at desk now (why Val2's sitting out for the moment) Yep I'm a dork, printed a cover tall enough for socket savers.
Those are really cool wood tube holders!

May 21, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #1,190 of 2,717
just ordered my ZMF, now apart from Feliks Echo are the Valhalla 2 worth to shortlist as well?

edit: to zmf owners, does running balanced offer any substantial improvement to your ears

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #1,191 of 2,717
just ordered my ZMF, now apart from Feliks Echo are the Valhalla 2 worth to shortlist as well?

edit: to zmf owners, does running balanced offer any substantial improvement to your ears
Balanced being better, really depends on the amp, and other factors. Can't really just say balanced is better. However, if the same amp has balanced outputs, and se outputs, the balanced are usually always better. For the price of the Valhalla 2, it is a great way to get into tubes. Just watch out, it is addicting and won't stop there. . .

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #1,193 of 2,717
www.facebook.com/notes/affordable-audiophile/no-hurry-to-buy-more-tubes-full-pond/2289758024677488/

For your reading at your pleasure...I don't like to force a mobile user to have a huge dump.

Cool.... Interesting to see some sort of “scientific” and “statistical” numbers to back up “joy” and amusement...

I started mechanical engineering years ago... never finished as it was not my cup of tea. But then shifted to computer science/networking and systems administration. i have been working also with photography and videography as my side passions.... and music... :) so it’s definitely interesting to see a mix of data oriented “explaining” how cool or not music sounds...

i must confess i tend to forget the measurements and trust (or not) my ears... but it’s fun to see some stats as well... :)
cheers!

May 25, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,194 of 2,717
Cool.... Interesting to see some sort of “scientific” and “statistical” numbers to back up “joy” and amusement...

I started mechanical engineering years ago... never finished as it was not my cup of tea. But then shifted to computer science/networking and systems administration. i have been working also with photography and videography as my side passions.... and music... :) so it’s definitely interesting to see a mix of data-oriented “explaining” how cool or not music sounds...

I must confess I tend to forget the measurements and trust (or not) my ears... but it’s fun to see some stats as well... :)
cheers!

Just for Schiits and giggles, I am listening to two Tung-Sol 6SN7 made in the same year as me, 1957. No matter what I throw at that Glass is sounds rich and very Tubular-sounding--or Tubey. Why, because I can, and that is the fun part.

May 27, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #1,195 of 2,717
I am moving into a different class of tubes today. I ordered a matched pair of JJ-Electronics new production 12au7 from TubeDepot for $28. I was toying with a pair of NOS Mullard from Upscale but I don't want to invest $106 in a pair right out of the chute.

ECC82.jpg I am well pleased with the quality and value of the Slovakian tubes. Now if this family of tubes sound better than the 6DJ8 tubes, OK, I might be interested in a larger investment.

For now, my days of buying cheap used tubes is over.

I learned it was a crap-shoot, and in the end, I was settling for a less than stellar experience to save a few shekels. New Tubes should perform to spec, and get better with age. I am happy.

May 27, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #1,196 of 2,717
Greetings, everyone. I'm hoping you experienced Val users can provide some insight into my dilemma.

I'm currently in the 15 day audition period of the Valhalla with my HD 600, both bone stock, with ~50 hours cumulative load time on the Valhalla. I own a Sony STR-DG500 which, to my genuine astonishment, has proved to be an excellent SS headphone amp. Both it and the Val are fed by foobar2000 > WASAPI > cheap-o USB DAC > TOSLINK to the Sony / RCA (obviously) to the Val.

I knew to expect diminished bass response, and a somewhat compressed and possibly grainy high-end - both of which I've found respond well to EQ. But a litany of reviews told me that I would get an expanded soundstage with the Valhalla. I haven't. The Sony's soundstage handily trumps the Val's, which I was not expecting from an aging mediocre 6.1 AV receiver. The DAC is a cheapy, but it's the source for both units, and I have a hard time believing the difference I'm hearing is solely attributable to the STR-DG500 being TOSLINK-fed vs the Val's RCA. Which brings us to my dilemma:

Can I reasonably achieve the soundstage I want (up to and maybe beyond the soundstage the SS provides) with tube rolling? If so, with which tubes? I've heard mostly unanimous good things about the gold JJ 6922; I'd like to avoid tubes requiring adapters for the time being. Or am I barking up the wrong tree by trying to get an expansive soundstage with tubes at this pricerange?

I find the Valhalla with its stock tubes pleasing in most regards except for the attribute that was my reason for upgrading in the first place. But in its present state, it is outperformed by the Sony (I never thought I'd type those words, but here we are.) Volume-matched (as closely as possible), flat, EQ'd... the STR-DG500's soundstage always wins.

I have 9 days left in my trial period, and would greatly appreciate the feedback of all you experienced Val users, 6-series owners, and tube rollers to help me make an informed decision. Thanks.

May 28, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #1,197 of 2,717
I have no experience with HD600 and Valhalla, I only have T1.1 and I heard HD650 only with stock tubes. HD650 had little soundstage - flat and sound was only between my ears. I think it is the headphones thing (by reviews also), but you wrote HD600 + SS soundstage is good. My T1.1 have excellent soundstage with Valhalla. Stock tubes have good depth but fuzzy imaging. The best soundstage I have is with brighter 6CG7 tubes, no adapter needed.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #1,198 of 2,717
The best soundstage I have is with brighter 6CG7 tubes

Thanks for the reply. So in your experience, the 6CG7 increase the width & depth of the soundstage, but lend a brighter coloring to the sound signature? Any particular brand you recommend? The Electro-Harmonix are a little less per pair than the gold JJ 6922 on Amazon.

Still hunting for as much feedback as possible :triportsad:

May 28, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #1,199 of 2,717
Thanks for the reply. So in your experience, the 6CG7 increase the width & depth of the soundstage, but lend a brighter coloring to the sound signature? Any particular brand you recommend? The Electro-Harmonix are a little less per pair than the gold JJ 6922 on Amazon.

Still hunting for as much feedback as possible :triportsad:
I have experience with Sylvania, Tung-Sol and RCA (black top) 6CG7. All of them have big soundstage. I wrote more about them in post #1148 in this threat. The soundstage is very similar - very big depth but little less wide. It is like listen to the pair of speakers. It definitelly shifts whole soundstage out of the head. Hard to describe, it is about personal experience. It may seem not ideal, but i think it should help HD600 staging. But maybe there is some HD600 limitation you cant pass. I like those headphones very much, only the soundstage is worse.

I also think that 6CG7 brings other improvements over stock tubes as better clarity, dynamics and bass (subbass). Some people are so satisfied with these tubes that they call it Vallhalla 3. In general 6CG7 are very linear so there is less difference between brands. Tung-Sols are the best for me, but very hard to get. Sylvania and RCA are very common on the ebay for example. None of my 6CG7 tubes are bright, just the Sylvania is the most warm so maybe with some highs roll-off. I always thought the soundstage information is somewhere in treble and i have experience that brighter (or not so warm) tubes almost aways have better soundstage presentation (T1 headphones are also bright headphones with excelent soundstage presentation). Popular Amperex Orange Globes tubes are also very warm for example and have very flat soundstage. So i would just avoid very warm tubes, no need to buy bright ones. There is definitelly a big difference between tubes soundstage presentation.

EDIT: The grainy high-end you were expecting with Valhalla and also weaker bass response is about tubes, I experience this only with stock tubes.
EDIT2: Maybe try those EH 6CG7 tubes, if you have not much time and can get them fast, many people likes them.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #1,200 of 2,717
Greetings, everyone. I'm hoping you experienced Val users can provide some insight into my dilemma.

I'm currently in the 15 day audition period of the Valhalla with my HD 600, both bone stock, with ~50 hours cumulative load time on the Valhalla. I own a Sony STR-DG500 which, to my genuine astonishment, has proved to be an excellent SS headphone amp. Both it and the Val are fed by foobar2000 > WASAPI > cheap-o USB DAC > TOSLINK to the Sony / RCA (obviously) to the Val.

I knew to expect diminished bass response, and a somewhat compressed and possibly grainy high-end - both of which I've found respond well to EQ. But a litany of reviews told me that I would get an expanded soundstage with the Valhalla. I haven't. The Sony's soundstage handily trumps the Val's, which I was not expecting from an aging mediocre 6.1 AV receiver. The DAC is a cheapy, but it's the source for both units, and I have a hard time believing the difference I'm hearing is solely attributable to the STR-DG500 being TOSLINK-fed vs the Val's RCA. Which brings us to my dilemma:

Can I reasonably achieve the soundstage I want (up to and maybe beyond the soundstage the SS provides) with tube rolling? If so, with which tubes? I've heard mostly unanimous good things about the gold JJ 6922; I'd like to avoid tubes requiring adapters for the time being. Or am I barking up the wrong tree by trying to get an expansive soundstage with tubes at this pricerange?

I find the Valhalla with its stock tubes pleasing in most regards except for the attribute that was my reason for upgrading in the first place. But in its present state, it is outperformed by the Sony (I never thought I'd type those words, but here we are.) Volume-matched (as closely as possible), flat, EQ'd... the STR-DG500's soundstage always wins.

I have 9 days left in my trial period, and would greatly appreciate the feedback of all you experienced Val users, 6-series owners, and tube rollers to help me make an informed decision. Thanks.
Adapters and the WE396A tube, will give you depth and width, unmatched by any 6922.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back