Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
May 15, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,171 of 2,716
In comparsion with stock power tubes sound was less transparent with less bass amount.

May 15, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,173 of 2,716
While I have the Foton 6N6P power tubes, the diff (if any) was minimal and not to the detriment of any sound that I could discern. Driver tubes are where the $$ should be spent as that is where the magic is! :D

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #1,174 of 2,716
While I have the Foton 6N6P power tubes, the diff (if any) was minimal and not to the detriment of any sound that I could discern. Driver tubes are where the $$ should be spent as that is where the magic is! :D
Maybe my Fotons are somehow bad, because it is very noticable difference. It was not expensive to get.

May 15, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #1,175 of 2,716
Did you say magic . . .pop in some adapters and some WE396A, and the magic happens.

May 15, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,176 of 2,716
They are on my list. Mullard CV4003 and Brimar CV4033's are favs, but CIFTE are a close 2nd. 12AT/U7 and variants are definitely my favs!! :wink:

May 15, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #1,177 of 2,716
They are on my list. Mullard CV4003 and Brimar CV4033's are favs, but CIFTE are a close 2nd. 12AT/U7 and variants are definitely my favs!! :wink:
I have all those tubes, as well as the Mullard Square Getter Long Plate, for my Bottlehead crack, and cant wait to hear them.

May 15, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #1,178 of 2,716
I have a BHC waiting to be built and will likely get started in the next few weeks. Can't wait to try my 6SN7 and 12AT/U7 tube stash on it!! :D

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #1,179 of 2,716
I have a BHC waiting to be built and will likely get started in the next few weeks. Can't wait to try my 6SN7 and 12AT/U7 tube stash on it!! :D
Awesome! See ya, in the Bottlehead thread.

May 15, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,180 of 2,716
I'm going bonkers. Yes, I might have been drinking slightly tonight. However, I'm listening to Harlequin's Innocence (from their creepy-cover, Love Crimes album). Switching back and forth between my VH2 and the Magni3... Dammit. There's a difference between the first ~2 minutes of song (between the 2 amps). What is it?! Does the Magni provide more definition with the lead singer? Does the VH2 provide a more mellow oomph?
Tsk, I dunno. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

May 15, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,181 of 2,716
Tubes are rife with 2nd order harmonics, which are very appealing to us humans. I know my Lyr 3 SS/tube hybrid is a better amp, but I spend way more time listening to Valhalla 2. With Mullard CV4003 and Brimar CV4033, and the occasional Telefunken 12AU7, VH2 is just a smoother, warmer, more relaxed sound that draws me deep into the music. It just seems more 'organic' with more timbre -- better suited to acoustic instruments (jazz is my thing). It makes no sense, but I'm OK with not understanding. I'm just enjoying the music!! :D

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #1,182 of 2,716
Tubes are rife with 2nd order harmonics, which are very appealing to us humans. I know my Lyr 3 SS/tube hybrid is a better amp, but I spend way more time listening to Valhalla 2. With Mullard CV4003 and Brimar CV4033, and the occasional Telefunken 12AU7, VH2 is just a smoother, warmer, more relaxed sound that draws me deep into the music. It just seems more 'organic' with more timbre -- better suited to acoustic instruments (jazz is my thing). It makes no sense, but I'm OK with not understanding. I'm just enjoying the music!! :D
giphy.gif
Some days, @Ripper2860 ... some days I feel like this guy when I look at my collection of doo-dads at my listening nook. (source: https://giphy.com/ ; Giphy. Downloaded 09:50 EST, May 16, 2019). :ksc75smile:

May 16, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,183 of 2,716
Can you please tell me more about Lyr 3 vs Valhalla 2? What are main differences? How the soundstage is in comparsion?

May 17, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #1,184 of 2,716
Can you please tell me more about Lyr 3 vs Valhalla 2? What are main differences? How the soundstage is in comparsion?
I took a gander at Schiit's March 13/19 posting for some ideas to your question...

And so, here we go: our current names of key technologies that we consider important.
Coherence™. This is our combobulated tube-BJT hybrid topology that delivers on the promise of hybrid designs the most, at least in our experience. Unlike other hybrid topologies we’ve used, Coherence allows us to run a high voltage at the tube stage (better for tubes), use the tubes for voltage gain (better application of a tube’s strengths), combine the tube and transistor stages without input, output, or coupling capacitors, and integrate it with a wide variety of output stages, including Continuity. This topology you’ll see in Lyr 3, and (to a lesser extent), in Vali 2, though Vali still uses output coupling capacitors to simplify the power supply requirements and keep cost down.
Importance: like I said, it’s the best hybrid topology we’ve found to date, and (as far as I know), we’re the only ones using it. Hence it’s worth naming as a differentiator to all the other hybrid topologies out there.
Found in: Lyr 3, Vali 2

Source: Buzzword Bingo. 2019 Chapter 5. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-2980#post-14834044 ; Accessed 09:33 EST, May 17, 2019.

&&&&&&&&&&&
Now, I understand maybe about a half of what he said there. My gut's telling me that the Lyr's soundstage is similar to my stock-tubed Vali (and even my Magni3). MY Valhalla2 (VH2) is more mellow & better paired with my 300Ohm-impedance headphones. I like having an unruly collection of brushed-aluminum boxes (compared to the compact, all-in-one, Lyr x.x). :ksc75smile:
I also like having three different amplification technologies (100% transistor; 100% tube; hybrid) to play around with! My gut also tells me that my Magni is superior for spoken word recordings (to my ear at least). Better? Worse? Nah, just different.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,185 of 2,716
I took a gander at Schiit's March 13/19 posting for some ideas to your question...

And so, here we go: our current names of key technologies that we consider important.
Coherence™. This is our combobulated tube-BJT hybrid topology that delivers on the promise of hybrid designs the most, at least in our experience. Unlike other hybrid topologies we’ve used, Coherence allows us to run a high voltage at the tube stage (better for tubes), use the tubes for voltage gain (better application of a tube’s strengths), combine the tube and transistor stages without input, output, or coupling capacitors, and integrate it with a wide variety of output stages, including Continuity. This topology you’ll see in Lyr 3, and (to a lesser extent), in Vali 2, though Vali still uses output coupling capacitors to simplify the power supply requirements and keep cost down.
Importance: like I said, it’s the best hybrid topology we’ve found to date, and (as far as I know), we’re the only ones using it. Hence it’s worth naming as a differentiator to all the other hybrid topologies out there.
Found in: Lyr 3, Vali 2

Source: Buzzword Bingo. 2019 Chapter 5. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-2980#post-14834044 ; Accessed 09:33 EST, May 17, 2019.

&&&&&&&&&&&
Now, I understand maybe about a half of what he said there. My gut's telling me that the Lyr's soundstage is similar to my stock-tubed Vali (and even my Magni3). MY Valhalla2 (VH2) is more mellow & better paired with my 300Ohm-impedance headphones. I like having an unruly collection of brushed-aluminum boxes (compared to the compact, all-in-one, Lyr x.x). :ksc75smile:
I also like having three different amplification technologies (100% transistor; 100% tube; hybrid) to play around with! My gut also tells me that my Magni is superior for spoken word recordings (to my ear at least). Better? Worse? Nah, just different.
Thank you for your response! I had a dilema, buy Valhalla 2 or Lyr 3 just for my T1.1 with Bifrost MB, no other headphones for best sound result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back