Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Nov 21, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #871 of 2,717
After a period of listening, I realized 6N3P-E with Foton tubes is much better than WE396A with Foton tubes!
BTW, Foton tubes seems to be much better than stock 6n6p. At least a perfect matching with 6N3P-E.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #874 of 2,717
Here to report, an update of my experience with my WE396A's, after about 60 hours of listening. . . MIND BLOWN!!! These tubes have opened up from top to bottom, without any hint of harshness in the top end and they have become super quiet as well. I have never heard imaging and seperation, so well. I can visualize the performance and placement of the instruments as if I was sitting in the room. Freaking amazing listening experience, everytime I fire them up. These tubes have really taken my system to another level and I am not exaggerating at all.
They are quite good, the Tung Sol 2C51 I rate a notch below is quite good too at a much lower price. I find the other brands GE, Bendix etc a bit harsh in the highs and bass light. The Reflektor 6N3P-E is quite good for the price, warm and detailed.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #875 of 2,717
TK16 - I do have 3 sets of the Tung Sol 2c51, but the we396a are so good, that I have not even tried them yet. Thanks for the info!

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #876 of 2,717
After switching to the JAN-Phillips 6922 that initially were in my X-CAN V3 and finding them quite bright (they sound really good in the X-CAN though), I ordered a pair of JJ E88CC Gold, and wow, now I can really say the Valhalla 2 is a real tube amp. The JJs are warm and detailed, and I no longer listen to the "sound"; I listen to the music.

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #877 of 2,717
I'm currently using a pair of Northern Electric 6SN7's on the gain side and really like them. With the Black Friday sales I ordered another pair for the buffer side. Not sure if I'l really hear any difference but thought I would give having quads a try. I'll post agin after they arrive.

Oops... that was for my Freya :)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #881 of 2,717
Hi All,

Sorry to dredge up a thread that has been fairly quiet recently, but I was hoping someone could share some advice.

I recently bought a Valhalla 2 from you, and so far everything is working great.

However, from its first switch-on, in one of the front tubes, there is a fairly significant imbalance of the brightness from the two 'sides' of the tube.

You can see in this first photo that in the tube in the background, the right-hand 'glow' is significantly brighter than the left; it is dome-shaped and glowing more strongly than the flatter glow on the left. The tube in the foreground shows the other front tube, with both sides of the tube glowing pretty much exactly equally.

IMG_1953.jpg

In the second photo, the tube is shown close-up, and it is very obvious there is a difference on either side.

IMG_1952.jpg

Is this normal, or is there a problem with the tube?

Many thanks for any input.

Dec 26, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #882 of 2,717
Hi All,

Sorry to dredge up a thread that has been fairly quiet recently, but I was hoping someone could share some advice.

I recently bought a Valhalla 2 from you, and so far everything is working great.

However, from its first switch-on, in one of the front tubes, there is a fairly significant imbalance of the brightness from the two 'sides' of the tube.

You can see in this first photo that in the tube in the background, the right-hand 'glow' is significantly brighter than the left; it is dome-shaped and glowing more strongly than the flatter glow on the left. The tube in the foreground shows the other front tube, with both sides of the tube glowing pretty much exactly equally.

In the second photo, the tube is shown close-up, and it is very obvious there is a difference on either side.

My stock tubes were the same. Didn't notice any issue with channel balance so I assumed it was normal. If you're worried email Schiit, they're very responsive.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #883 of 2,717
Hi All,

The difference in glow is from a slight difference in placement of the cathode heater. The tubes are tested on a curve tracer by Schiit and have equal triode electrical characteristics. Don't concern yourself. You should see the differences in the way RCA tubes in my Freya light up! It does not make for a pretty collection of tubes, but they sound great and I will not part with them

Dec 26, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #885 of 2,717
The difference in glow is from a slight difference in placement of the cathode heater. The tubes are tested on a curve tracer by Schiit and have equal triode electrical characteristics. Don't concern yourself. You should see the differences in the way RCA tubes in my Freya light up! It does not make for a pretty collection of tubes, but they sound great and I will not part with them
Thank you - as with the previous reply, I was assuming it wasn't anything major, since there are no channel imbalances or any sonic differences.

Thanks for replying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back