Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Mar 20, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #902 of 2,717
hey! i ended up getting the tubemongers. yeah, guess i didn’t want to risk buying off from ebay. ( Had some no so great experience with cheap stuff before, sadly). I do not think there is any loss in quality. and for sure, the chassis is pretty cool to touch... it definitely looks nicer! :)
cheers!

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #903 of 2,717
I did not notice any changes in sound, the chasis does seem to feel cooler.
Same experience here and, though subjective of course, IMO the amp looks much nicer this way (which was really the reason I got the socket savers). However, since I went to Tung-Sol 2C51 input tubes which require adapters of roughly the same size, I removed the socket servers from all four tubes. Since the Tung-Sols are rather stubby, the power tubes with socket savers looked disproportionately tall; overall it still looks nicer than stock.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #904 of 2,717
thank you Tony, i got the stickers going... if you pay attention, we can see them... so i might try to trim and make it cover the led only.... but it is interesting option for sure!

E1255008-81D5-43A0-9761-AE57755BE997.jpeg

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #907 of 2,717
Making my way through the thread but is there any benifit in changing the back tall tubes ?

Hmmm, as far as I have been reading... there would not be any major changes in the system... Maybe if you get military grade vs. regular, we might end up with longer running time... but that is just my guess...

Cheers!

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #908 of 2,717
Hmmm, as far as I have been reading... there would not be any major changes in the system... Maybe if you get military grade vs. regular, we might end up with longer running time... but that is just my guess...

Cheers!

Thanks, I’m very satisfied with combination of stock and gold lions tubes used right now I don’t think there’s any need to change anything, I can just buy a set of spares from Schiit.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #909 of 2,717
My Valhalla 2 has around 50 hours of run in time and maybe 24 hours each on the stock and the gold lion tubes.

In comparison to the Genalex i find the stock to have a bigger sound stage and a little brighter, the bass is also a little on the weak side but the soundstage and clarity is impressive just let down by a slight amount of grain. Not bad stock tubes at all to be included in the amp, some people may not need any better.

Now to the gold lions, there is something special going on with the sound these put out, the midrange with my HD650 is beautiful, really seductive and addictive. They are not as bright as the stock tubes but are still just as clear, more balanced overall. The Genalex have more detail and texture that just makes music sound alive, I find the tubes be so good that I am able to “settle” on them and not even think about trying something else.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #911 of 2,717
My Valhalla 2 has around 50 hours of run in time and maybe 24 hours each on the stock and the gold lion tubes.

In comparison to the Genalex i find the stock to have a bigger sound stage and a little brighter, the bass is also a little on the weak side but the soundstage and clarity is impressive just let down by a slight amount of grain. Not bad stock tubes at all to be included in the amp, some people may not need any better.

Now to the gold lions, there is something special going on with the sound these put out, the midrange with my HD650 is beautiful, really seductive and addictive. They are not as bright as the stock tubes but are still just as clear, more balanced overall. The Genalex have more detail and texture that just makes music sound alive, I find the tubes be so good that I am able to “settle” on them and not even think about trying something else.
Yep stock tubes really are great ! I have a bunch of different tubes for it. My favorite is 5670's (which require and adapter). JJ's are nice...bass punches really hard with a nice balance on mids and treble. Toshiba's have bass that goes earthquake low...not a huge amount of bass...but still lots and a lovely liquid smooth sound..the tubes are quite microphonic though. Stock tubes are just plain old smooth, perhaps a little bright. 5670's have an amazing 3-D I am there sound stage, with warmth.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #912 of 2,717
My Valhalla has a quiet buzz/hum when I put my ear close, it’s not actually coming through the headphone output. is that normal behaviour for tube amps?

hmmmm, have you tried to use a different pair of tubes? i don’t think it is normal... mine is completely silent...
try to hook it up maybe to a different electrical circuit/breaker?

cheers!

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #913 of 2,717
My Valhalla has a quiet buzz/hum when I put my ear close, it’s not actually coming through the headphone output. is that normal behaviour for tube amps?
Valhalla uses an AC heater circuit. A 50 or 60 Hz hum would be the cathode heater ivibrating to that frequency

It is nothing to worry about

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back