Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Sep 7, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #121 of 404
Thanks for those first impressions wgb113.

Does anyone else who has one have any further thoughts as to the sound quality of this amp? Especially when paired with AKG701, (or Grado RS1i/GS1000i)

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #122 of 404
Those who have one just got it a few days ago. The only person who's had enough time (in a perfect not-busy world) to get real impressions is Jude. He's a busy guy, though, so I don't know if he's really put the time in with it.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #123 of 404
My very quick review. Both headphone amplifiers are relatively new (Woo WA6 has ~100 hrs) so I'm sure there may be subtle differences/changes over time.  I'm using a pair of AKG 702's that also have ~100 hrs on them (some consider these still breaking in).  I placed both amps side by side and just swapped RCA cables and the power plug.  Initial impression is that the Valhalla performance/sound is VERY close to the WA6.  I just placed both volume knobs at the 12 o'clock position and proceeded to listen to some very familiar HDCD's.  I would have to say the soundstage was very evenly matched. I know the volume will not be exactly the same with both amplifiers at the 12 o'clock position, but the Valhalla was slightly louder so I tried to match them closely to listen for subtle differences.  I would have to say initially the Valhalla sounded a little brighter (less than an hour on the unit) but not to a fault. Bass was equally hard to discern the difference between units.  Both my amplifiers are also extremely quiet.....zero background noise.  It has been hard getting ample time to do some more comparisons (birthdays, football, etc.) but I will try and get some more impressions as the units burn in over time.  Both units sound very good and sonically very comparable.  Subtle differences may appear as they age, but for now, I'm happy with both and plan to keep them.  I will update my impressions as I listen to more tracks over the next few weeks.  Thanks.

Rich

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #124 of 404

Quote:
My very quick review. Both headphone amplifiers are relatively new (Woo WA6 has ~100 hrs) so I'm sure there may be subtle differences/changes over time.  I'm using a pair of AKG 702's that also have ~100 hrs on them (some consider these still breaking in).  I placed both amps side by side and just swapped RCA cables and the power plug.  Initial impression is that the Valhalla performance/sound is VERY close to the WA6.  I just placed both volume knobs at the 12 o'clock position and proceeded to listen to some very familiar HDCD's.  I would have to say the soundstage was very evenly matched. I know the volume will not be exactly the same with both amplifiers at the 12 o'clock position, but the Valhalla was slightly louder so I tried to match them closely to listen for subtle differences.  I would have to say initially the Valhalla sounded a little brighter (less than an hour on the unit) but not to a fault. Bass was equally hard to discern the difference between units.  Both my amplifiers are also extremely quiet.....zero background noise.  It has been hard getting ample time to do some more comparisons (birthdays, football, etc.) but I will try and get some more impressions as the units burn in over time.  Both units sound very good and sonically very comparable.  Subtle differences may appear as they age, but for now, I'm happy with both and plan to keep them.  I will update my impressions as I listen to more tracks over the next few weeks.  Thanks.

Rich

Thanks Rich! how about clarity?

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #125 of 404

Quote:
I asked Jack Woo and he told me that the 6 is not ideal for the LCD2. He said the 6SE would be. I personally only heard the 6 with the T1 and it was not ideal IMO. The CSP-2 is ideal with the T1 but I know it would not be with the LCD2 as my D7000 sounds much better on my matrix than on the CSP-2 and the LCD2 is less efficient.

I posted similar information before, that the WA6SE was a better amp than the WA6 for the LCD-2, and I don't think people believed me.  What would Jack know anyway, he only builds the amps...  :wink:

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #126 of 404

Quote:
I posted similar information before, that the WA6SE was a better amp than the WA6 for the LCD-2, and I don't think people believed me.  What would Jack know anyway, he only builds the amps...  :wink:

Kevin, I don't think anyone doubted this at all - I'm certain you are right, and it's true,-- since the 6SE has more power, who could doubt that it would be better.  The question is more one of price point, and also for people (and there are quite a few) who already own a regular WA6; given that, is the WA6 decent with the LCD-2?  I think so; JMO.

But this is off topic here - someone asked if the Valhalla would be good with the LCD-2.  Given the design of the Valhalla this seems unlikely to be a good match to me, but I will get to try it in a week or so.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #127 of 404
I believe you, kwkarth!
wink_face.gif

Still cannot wait for a detailed assessment of the Asgard vs. the Valhalla. I am pretty sure that the Asgard will be my ultimate choice, but it will be nice to have a thorough comparison posted at some point. (I assume that a few of you have/will have both amps at your disposal.)

On a related note, my would I LOVE to get my ears on a pair of LCD-2's. Such striking, old-school cans.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #128 of 404

Quote:

Thanks Rich! how about clarity?

Initial impression is very good.  It is easy for me to confuse brightness with clarity and I'll delve into it further after more listening.  I'm just coming off an ear infection and want to make sure I have sufficient time to really spend some quality time with both units.  I think the Valhalla performs admirably at it's price point.  I have no where near the experience as others here but I can tell you that the Valhalla holds it own against the Woo so far.  It may change over time as both units continue their break-in period.

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #129 of 404
Clarity and treble are easily confused, especially since one workaround on cheap components is to bump up the treble to make things sound more clear.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #131 of 404

Quote:

Rich

Very interesting. I had no expectations for the $350 Val to be comparable to a $620+ amp, but your initial impressions are promising. I still kind of expect the WA6 to edge out eventually, but that doesn't mean the Val is bad in anyway. It's just that I would expect a quality amp that is twice its price to be just better.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #132 of 404
well, given that one can roll a sophia princess or EML rectifier into the WA6, that gives it an edge over the valhalla right out of the gate.
lack of tube rolling is what's keeping me from getting the valhalla.

when i read a couple posts saying the valhalla was very slightly bright, i knew that there would be no way to tweak the SS with a different tube...

however, i'm so glad this amp is out there as an option for folks.  and i hope the positive reviews keep streaming in...

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #133 of 404

Quote:
well, given that one can roll a sophia princess or EML rectifier into the WA6, that gives it an edge over the valhalla right out of the gate.
lack of tube rolling is what's keeping me from getting the valhalla.

when i read a couple posts saying the valhalla was very slightly bright, i knew that there would be no way to tweak the SS with a different tube...

however, i'm so glad this amp is out there as an option for folks.  and i hope the positive reviews keep streaming in...

huh? youre not saying what i think youre saying are u? :O haha

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #135 of 404
After enjoying every bit of my Asgard I ordered a Valhalla last week, Jason thought it would ship late this week so i should have it fairly soon and when it does get here i'll let you guys know what i think when it comes to the hd600 pairing with both of them, if its better than with the Asgard man am I in for a treat. My thunderpants are just not playing as nicely with the Asgard which is why i went with the Valhalla with hopes that both of my choice cans at the moment will be happy :) I know there are better amps for the TP but this is my decision, maybe a EHHA in the future... 

Cheers, Happy listening       M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back