Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Sep 10, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #151 of 404

Quote:

At least in terms of *theory*, an output transformerless tube amp with relatively small-triode output tubes like the Valhalla isn't the ideal match for a fairly low-impedance, low-efficiency headphone like the LCD-2.  But hey, I'm keeping an open mind - stranger things have happened.  The LCD-2 definitely sounded their best to me on tube amps that are power-pentode based and transformer-coupled and more able to deliver more juice to a load of that impedance. 

Ah, thanks for taking the time to explain that. I will keep researching. I do look forward to your findings once you receive the Valhalla, and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm about ready to go ahead and order the LCD-2's, and want to get the amp choice squared away pretty soon too. 

I also found this quote from Jason (from the LCD-2 amp recommendation thread):

"One caveat: The Valhalla is a great match for the HD650 and HD800, but it's going to struggle with the Audeze 'phones, since they're both low-impedance and low-sensitivity. If you're looking for headbanging levels from the Audeze, the Valhalla will be a disappointment."

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #152 of 404
Hey everyone,

Quick update for everyone who is still waiting for your Valhalla: we should be able to ship the last of the backorders today and Monday, barring any surprises during the burn-in phase. Thank you again for your patience!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #153 of 404
I've been keeping my eyes on this thread. Schiit Audio impresses me with their style and product. I don't know about the Valhalla's drive capabilities. I own and enjoy a Asgard Amplifier and it drives my HE-5LE's really well, and since the 5LE's are rumored to be more difficult to drive than the LCD-2's I suspect that the Asgard would easily drive the LCD-2's.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #154 of 404
For those of you who have already received your Valhallas, how up-to-date is Google Checkout? I've been refreshing the checkout page periodically, and my order from Aug should have been mailed out either yesterday or today.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #155 of 404
Google Checkout was right on for me.  You should get a shipping notice when it ships along with the FedEx tracking.

Bill

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #156 of 404
This is not looking good then. Post office closes in 30mins, so I guess mine's going out on Monday.
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #157 of 404
I received my notice with tracking number at 10:17 PM on Mon. August 30. It shipped out via FedEx that night. It arrived the following Thurs. Sept. 2. I live in the same state as Schiit--California.

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #158 of 404
I also wonder when they will have enough Valhallas and Asgards to stock, I know they are very close.
(Mainly because I want them to ship me the Asgard I ordered Wednesday haha)

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #159 of 404

Quote:
These things get really hot, otherwise they sound pretty damn awesome, comparable with my WA6, too bad I might sell/return it for a Zana Deux.

Hot is obviously a very subjective term.  Mine gets warm like any class A tube device should run.  It is NOT hot and it damn sure has never approached "really hot" after a 24 hour idle, where it should be at maximum temp.  Hell, I can set my hand on any part of the Valhalla, except for the actual tubes themselves, and not feel any impulse to withdraw it from the amp.

Using the temperature probe on my Fluke 187, I am unable to locate a single spot on the Valhalla chassis that exceeds 101 degrees F.  Here in Kansas, that is cooler than a typical summer day and somehow we survive it.

Bill

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #160 of 404
Yeah, sorry guys, most of the rest will go out on Monday. At the same time, we should be in-stock for Asgard and Valhalla, and we'll probably have a few Asgard B-stocks at the same time. . . should be . . . probably . . . maybe I should be a lawyer, with all these disclaimers and stuff. 

Seriously, though, the intent is to actually *stock* the amps, despite the evidence of the past couple of months. And we *are* getting on our feet.

Er, yeah, and regarding the comment about Valhalla and LCD-2s, yep, that's a tough, tough headphone to drive, mainly because it's both low impedance and low sensitivity. I'm afraid Asgard will be better for that one. 

Thanks again for your patience, support, and kind words! (Or not so kind, that's fine too--we don't claim to be Dr. Pinkman's Patented Universal Panacea & Cure-All.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #162 of 404
x2 thanks for the update Jas. The Valhalla will get here when it gets here :) It's not like im suffering with my Asgard or anything lol.

Peace, M

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #164 of 404

Quote:
Yeah, sorry guys, most of the rest will go out on Monday. At the same time, we should be in-stock for Asgard and Valhalla, and we'll probably have a few Asgard B-stocks at the same time. . . should be . . . probably . . . maybe I should be a lawyer, with all these disclaimers and stuff. 

Seriously, though, the intent is to actually *stock* the amps, despite the evidence of the past couple of months. And we *are* getting on our feet.

Er, yeah, and regarding the comment about Valhalla and LCD-2s, yep, that's a tough, tough headphone to drive, mainly because it's both low impedance and low sensitivity. I'm afraid Asgard will be better for that one. 

Thanks again for your patience, support, and kind words! (Or not so kind, that's fine too--we don't claim to be Dr. Pinkman's Patented Universal Panacea & Cure-All.)

Does anyone know how much the B Stock will cost? I can't remember, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back