Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Sep 14, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #181 of 404
Are you Amstel Dam on Flickr?
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Here yah go...

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #184 of 404

Quote:
youre world famous clayton!!

You're kidding?
eek.gif
That's why every so often I travel to Amsterdam to visit with friends who live on Rapenburgerstraat just to go into hiding. j/k
wink.gif
I wonder how those travel voltage converters work on headphone amps. I wouldn't want to fry one if I took one over there.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #186 of 404

Quote:
Well I recognised your Phono Stage. I comment on that pic
rolleyes.gif

Oh, and Amsterdam isn't that far away for me
biggrin.gif

Fantastic. Have you ever been to HiFi Solutions on Muiderstraat? I've always passed it but have never gone in. Maybe next time...

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #187 of 404
Awesome pics Clayton, thanks!

Btw, what turntable is that?

Edit: Nevermind, found your Flikr stream, impressive!

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #189 of 404

Quote:
No I haven't but it looks very promising. And I'm like 2 hours away from A'dam
biggrin.gif

Yes. HiFi Solutions.nl looks very promising, indeed. I also own the Beyerdynamic DT990 - 600ohm. It is my favorite headphone and really pairs nicely with the Valhalla. Right now it sounds a little on the bright side but I am sure when the Valhalla has a chance to settle down, it will be wonderful.

EDIT: And you must be Mr. Ultra, yes?

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #192 of 404

Quote:

Yes. HiFi Solutions.nl looks very promising, indeed. I also own the Beyerdynamic DT990 - 600ohm. It is my favorite headphone and really pairs nicely with the Valhalla. Right now it sounds a little on the bright side but I am sure when the Valhalla has a chance to settle down, it will be wonderful.

EDIT: And you must be Mr. Ultra, yes?

Yes. I'm serious about that WA_2 tho. lol

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #193 of 404

Quote:

Yes. I'm serious about that WA_2 tho. lol

Nee toch?

So I'll bring along the WA2 with the Valhalla when I go to A'dam.
biggrin.gif
I wonder what the shipping charges would be to Belgium? Hum?

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #195 of 404
Finally received my Valhalla!!! For all that waiting, it took 1 day to get to my house. lol

Playing around with it now. Just out of the box, I can definitely attest to the great build quality. Very solidly constructed, all the lines are straight, and it's heavier than it looks. Looks great in person, but I still wish it came in black.

As for the "heat", I've had it on for about ~10mins now, and still not hot, and this coffee isn't going to warm itself.
tongue_smile.gif

UPDATE: 4 hours later, the amp is quite a bit warmer, but I would never consider this unbearable hot. It's very warm and the volume knob is about the same temperature as the rest of the chassis, but once again, I have to stress that it's only very warm, not hot or burning. Looks like I won't get to warm my coffee afterall.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there are light, white fingerprints on the chassis. I can see them on the top surface, as well as near the volume knob. They are not coming off with a microfiber cloth, so does anyone have any recommendations? They're defintiely not oil caused by me. They don't smear like oil would and they're white.

As for sound, I love it.
Just some initial observations:
With just the uDAC alone, I noticed that when certain female vocalists hit some really high notes, my cans really start crackling or etching.
With uDAC -> Valhalla, the crackling/etching vastly disappeared, but was still there a bit, but just for the really, really high notes. Bass is both fuller and with more impact than just the uDAC alone.
With V-DAC -> Valhalla, the crackling/etching completely disappeared. Bass seems to have greater extension, and goes loooowwwww, but with a little less impact (or so I think). The highs and mids seem to have more clarity. I need to listen some more and perhaps acclimatize. I also now know what people mean by the HD650 being "veiled", as it is no longer there now. With just the uDAC alone, I had no frame of reference so I didn't know what I should or should not have been hearing. With this setup however, everything just has greater clarity. The cans are still not too "bright", however, since I've been listening to music for the last 4 hrs straight and still no fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back