Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Sep 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #211 of 404

Quote:
Would that whole tube heater/filament thing have anything to do with that?
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" width="" />

Indeed!  Note especially the word "heater"
L3000.gif
  The power transformer in a tube amp is used to HEAT the filament. 

I'm not picking on you, dpippel, but given that there was some unnecessary haranguing about the Schiit Asgard running hot, and that I think it's likely that the Valhalla may be some people's first foray into tube amp, I though it was good to make sure there was not undue concern here.  Tube amps make heat, and run hot.  And an all-tube amp is going to run hotter than a hybrid.  Anyone bothered by that concept should stick with Class D solid state amps
wink_face.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #212 of 404

Quote:
L3000.gif

I'm not picking on you, dpippel, but given that there was some unnecessary haranguing about the Schiit Asgard running hot, and that I think it's likely that the Valhalla may be some people's first foray into tube amp, I though it was good to make sure there was not undue concern here.  Tube amps make heat, and run hot.  And an all-tube amp is going to run hotter than a hybrid.  Anyone bothered by that concept should stick with Class D solid state amps
wink_face.gif

Quote:

News? I know that. You know that. Taken in that context, IMO this amp still runs pretty effing hot. While it's not an apples to apples comparison, the Valhalla is many times hotter than my hybrid once it reaches operating temperature. Certainly "tubes make heat", but that doesn't mean temperature issues shouldn't be mentioned or discussed.

Guess what! My Zana Deux SE runs hotter than any of yours--tubes or no! There!
biggrin.gif
And you may be able to grill on yours, but because of the ZDse's large top flat-plate aluminum chassis, I can make hotcakes on mine!
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #213 of 404

Quote:

L3000.gif

wink_face.gif

um... i think dpippel can post about the heat coming from the valhalla because it may not be an inssue to you or me or whatever but it is an issue for many people.   and to say that anyone bothered by thtat concept should stick with class D SS amps? after dpippel's impression both posts you have written puts u in a bad light.  not all class A amps run hot when someone touches anywhere on the amp, this one does thaTs all that needs to be said. no one is saying tubes dont generate heat.

i left my asgard on all day yesterday burning in my dacmagic and it was HOT. was it too hot and am i concerned? no but that doesnt mean someone else doesnt have the right to be. and anyone has the right to post pros and CONS about stuff that is related to the forum topic. 

thanks for your im[pressions dpippel!

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #214 of 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...and anyone has the right to post pros and CONS about stuff that is related to the forum topic. 

thanks for your impressions dpippel!

debitsohn: Glad you're felling better!
smile.gif
Today's the day! Anyway, since I first felt how hot my Asgard got I just don't touch it anymore, and I just ignore the Valhalla--not altogether, though, because it does have pretty tubes and it does run much cooler than the Asgard.

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #215 of 404
Quote:
L3000.gif

wink_face.gif

There's no haranguing going on here Skylab, just statements of fact based on direct observation. Certainly, people who have never owned an all tube amplifier before should be made aware of their differences from other designs and the effects of those differences. Discussing the heat issue is doing exactly that. Let's not patronize by suggesting that someone should settle for a CMoy if they don't "get it." 
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #216 of 404
Quote:
Guess what! My Zana Deux SE runs hotter than any of yours--tubes or no! There!
biggrin.gif
And you may be able to grill on yours, but because of the ZDse's large top flat-plate aluminum chassis, I can make hotcakes on mine!
tongue_smile.gif

Um, the Valhalla's all-aluminum chassis has a huge griddle area to the left of the tubes. Plenty of room. Serving up a nice steaming stack of Schiit pancakes would pose NO problem at all, I assure you. 
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #218 of 404

Quote:
Um, the Valhalla's all-aluminum chassis has a huge griddle area to the left of the tubes. Plenty of room. Serving up a nice steaming stack of Schiit pancakes would pose NO problem at all, I assure you. 
tongue.gif

Darn! Yes. Yours is multipurpose and cheaper too!
beerchug.gif

Ah, levity is refreshing at times in this sometimes all-too-dreary world of this-n-that!

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #220 of 404

Quote:

There's no haranguing going on here Skylab, just statements of fact based on direct observation. Certainly, people who have never owned an all tube amplifier before should be made aware of their differences from other designs and the effects of those differences. Discussing the heat issue is doing exactly that. Let's not patronize by suggesting that someone should settle for a CMoy if they don't "get it." 
biggrin.gif

OK, apologies to all - I absolutely did not mean to offend or patronize anyone.  My attempts at humor clearly failed.  Sorry for that.

And yes, it's a good idea that people be made aware that tube amps run hot - totally agree.  But it's not a good idea to indicate that this is cause for worry that the amp is somehow dangerous. 

Anyway, enough said.  I'm looking forward to getting the review unit of the Valhalla. 

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #222 of 404

Quote:
Works for me. I'm looking forward to reading your review of this amp, because you're so damned good at it. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks and cheers
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #224 of 404

Quote:
debitsohn: Glad you're felling better!
smile.gif
Today's the day! Anyway, since I first felt how hot my Asgard got I just don't touch it anymore, and I just ignore the Valhalla--not altogether, though, because it does have pretty tubes and it does run much cooler than the Asgard.

haha not feeling better but gotta bring in a paycheck so im back at work =\  thats the thing. ppl read on here and can find out that yes the amps run hot so when they touch it its nto that big of a deal to most. but ppl who had no idea it runs that hot and touched it would be extremely worried.  im glad the valhalla doesnt run as hot
smily_headphones1.gif
  nice that there are more impressions popping up!

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #225 of 404
Skylab, maybe this request belongs in the LCD-2 amp thread, but I am interested in the differences between the Asgard and Valhalla with the LCD-2 as many have said that it responds better to SS than to tube amplification and am looking forward to that comparison from you if you have had a chance to compare both of these amps with that headphone please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back