Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Sep 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #106 of 404

Quote:
That's good advice. The WA6 is transformer-coupled, remember, and at least on paper should be better driving low impedance headphones.

I have found, as lovely as the WA6 is, it's pretty easy to push it over the edge when driving the LCD-2s with uncompressed source material.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #107 of 404
That may well be - but is there any reason to believe the Valhalla would fare better with the LCD-2? on paper it wouldn't seem to be the case. I will get to test it in a few weeks, but it's hard to see the OTL Valhalla doing the LCD-2 full justice. For that I've needed much stronger amps like the Leben or Decware Mini- Torii.

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #108 of 404

Quote:
There is no direct western equivalent of either tube [6N1P and 6N6P].  If the amp is designed for the 6N1P, you can't use the 6DJ8/6922, as you will just burn them up.

Conversely, if an amp is designed for the 6DJ8/6922, can you use the 6N1P?
... nevermind ... I found the answer.

As usual: Thanks Skylab, et. al.
smile.gif

EDIT:
Quote:
Skylab said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
For the record the 6N1P is not a true replacement to the 6922 this because it draws twice the filament current and will fry your power source unless it was designed to deliver the added current.

Indeed, a very important point! You can use a 6DJ8 in a circuit designed for the 6N1P, but you cannot necessarily use the 6N1P in a circuit designed for the 6DJ8 - could indeed cause major problems and isn't safe. Thanks Miguel for bringing that up!

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #109 of 404

Quote:
That may well be - but is there any reason to believe the Valhalla would fare better with the LCD-2? on paper it wouldn't seem to be the case. I will get to test it in a few weeks, but it's hard to see the OTL Valhalla doing the LCD-2 full justice. For that I've needed much stronger amps like the Leben or Decware Mini- Torii.

Getting Interesting.

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #110 of 404

Quote:
I have found, as lovely as the WA6 is, it's pretty easy to push it over the edge when driving the LCD-2s with uncompressed source material.

I asked Jack Woo and he told me that the 6 is not ideal for the LCD2. He said the 6SE would be. I personally only heard the 6 with the T1 and it was not ideal IMO. The CSP-2 is ideal with the T1 but I know it would not be with the LCD2 as my D7000 sounds much better on my matrix than on the CSP-2 and the LCD2 is less efficient.

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #112 of 404

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #113 of 404
How's the pairing with the 701s?

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #114 of 404
Excellent photos, wgb113. I really like how the Valhalla's grill compliments your metal shelves. Really nicely done.
smile.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #115 of 404
I'd definitely be interested in some impressions as well, particularly with the HD650.  Right now I'm "stuck" with them and an Audinst HUD-MX1 and I'd like to get a dedicated amp, and I really like the looks of the Valhalla and if it's as good as it looks, then I'll definitely have to seriously consider it in my future purchasing plans.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #117 of 404

Quote:
How's the pairing with the 701s?

It's a little soon I think, I haven't listened to it enough yet, but my initial impressions are positive.  My only references are the AKGs with my Benchmark DAC1 and with the TC-7510.  With the former they're a very analytical listen.  With the latter they're an okay, pleasant listen.  I'm feeding the Valhalla from the 7510's fixed output and, while not as huge a difference as I was expecting (this is my first experience with tubes) I do notice more presence in the midrange and upper bass region compared to the DAC1, while having higher resolution than the 7510s built in amp.  The 701/Valhalla combo sounds closer to me to my HD600/DAC1 combo.

I want to spend more time with it and the 701s before I throw the Sennheisers or Audio Technicas on it so that I can make a better comparison.

A few other notes, as you can see in Clayton's unboxing photos it comes really well packed.  My unit has the bottom rear corner (near the power) plug kind of flat rather than to a point like the other corners.  I would guess this happened during the manufacturing of the case and that it wasn't dropped on that corner at all.  The manual was as good a read as the Asgard.  It gets warm but no warmer than my MacBook Pro.  The unit is just a very nice looking piece.  I got Serial # 152 and hopefully Jason and the gang sell enough to fill out the preceding zeros as well as bring us other products along the way.

Bill

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #118 of 404

Quote:
Excellent photos, wgb113. I really like how the Valhalla's grill compliments your metal shelves. Really nicely done.
smile.gif

Thanks, tried to get half decent pics with zero skills and a 6 year old camera.

The shelf is a cheapy from Ikea but it holds everything, including whatever book/magazine I'm reading, has a small footprint, and the wire mesh shelves and overall openness guarantee it will have room to breathe.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #119 of 404
@ Jason S

Thanks for your replies! Can't wait for these to hit Australian shores! Hurry and get the 240V versions ready already!

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #120 of 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got Serial # 152 and hopefully Jason and the gang sell enough to fill out the preceding zeros as well as bring us other products along the way.

Bill

Hey, Bill. I got Serial # 154.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back