Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jul 19, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,141 of 1,986
  Do you mean the 1/4 termination of the HP connects to the 1/4 female adaptor, which then connects to the amplifier via a 4-pin XLR? So the adaptor is 1/4 female at one end and 4-pin XLR male at the other end? 

This will not be equivalent to a balanced cable will it? (Excuse my ignorance but I do not know how these cables and connections really work.)

Thanks.

You are correct. In that scenario it would not be equivalent to a balanced (headphone) cable. A balanced headphone cable requires a separate positive and negative input for each channel (allowing each input to be driven actively), for a total of 4 separate inputs. A 1/4 TRS jack was not designed for this purpose and only allows for at most 3 connections (T,R,S), which would bottleneck the signals. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #1,143 of 1,986
I've played around with all 3 gains and I prefer using the 2nd gain setting.

The differences are small and I found that I needed to let each gain setting settle in for several hrs before the differences were (more) easily heard.

JJ

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,144 of 1,986
When listening to my HD800s through the balanced connector on the Rag, I have to set the gain level to 3 and turn the volume to about the 1 o'clock position.  The Rag is being fed through the SE connection.  Does this seem normal?  I wasn't expecting to have to go that high on the gain and volume knob.  Sounds really good though, no complaints there.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,146 of 1,986
This amplifier is so good that it can drive almost every headphones(earphones) with ease. It makes my in-ear se315 and se535(which I was thinking it sounds crap) sounds so close to my dt880. Which makes me thinking if I should still keep my lcd-3..

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #1,147 of 1,986
Aug 17, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #1,148 of 1,986
  When listening to my HD800s through the balanced connector on the Rag, I have to set the gain level to 3 and turn the volume to about the 1 o'clock position.  The Rag is being fed through the SE connection.  Does this seem normal?  I wasn't expecting to have to go that high on the gain and volume knob.  Sounds really good though, no complaints there.

I normally run my Rok in gain2 and the MOAR knob between 1:00 to 3:00.
And while the differences between gain 1 - 2 - 3 are subtle they can be heard.

JJ

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #1,149 of 1,986
  When using my HE1000 with Ragnarok, I find that the zero gain setting to provide the most musical and detailed sound. What gain setting do you use for headphone listening?

+1 to that.

Like you I find HEK so lovingly sensitive that it readily reveals the subtle loss in detail between the Rag's first and second gain settings.

That said, I find some music can sound shallow with zero gain so at times I step up to +5. My rule of thumb is: acoustic strings, piano, vocals: always first position; driving rock and electronic, always second position; everything else: audition both.

The HEK never benefits from +20 (though Magnepans do... :wink:.

Sep 11, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #1,150 of 1,986
i am thinking of scaling back my 2 channel preamp and amps. the speakers i now have are Vandersteen 2ce signatures ii, do you guys thing the Ragnarok will drive them? i listen to mostly jazz and fusion and don't play very loud. thanks for any replies. Greg

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,151 of 1,986
  Since the speaker compatibility question has been raised...I am wondering if the "Rag" will drive a pair of Audience ClairAudient 1+1 V2+'s well..

Despite currently possessing a healthy, separates-based stereo system, an auxiliary system with the 1+1's driven by the "Rag", as a highly precise system for quiet "night-time" listening is a very appealing concept to me...anyone have any experience with this combination? 

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #1,152 of 1,986
Has anyone tried the rag with the hd 800 S model? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #1,154 of 1,986
The Ragnarok continues impress me. The double set of XLR in and RCA in enable quick switch between DAC's for AB comparison. Schiit should seriously consider adding remote control capability. It will make it easy to switch inputs, listening mode (speakers, speakers+headphone, headphone), gain selection without having to cycle through 1 to 5 and long hold on the selector button. And also volume changing via remote.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,155 of 1,986
  The Ragnarok continues impress me. The double set of XLR in and RCA in enable quick switch between DAC's for AB comparison. Schiit should seriously consider adding remote control capability. It will make it easy to switch inputs, listening mode (speakers, speakers+headphone, headphone), gain selection without having to cycle through 1 to 5 and long hold on the selector button. And also volume changing via remote.

Jason mentioned in the latest Schiit Happens chapter that the eventual Ragnarok 2 will have a remote and listening mode indicator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back