Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Dec 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #1,171 of 2,020
  My new Rag will be here after christmas, yay :)
I have read about the pairing with the HD 800 but how about the pairing with the HD 800S?

It pairs very well although I'm very curious about grass greener somewhere else like the master 9 or the 430h.

That being said I'd be the first person to jump on a rag2 if it ever comes out.

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,173 of 2,020
Looks like someone doesn't believe me 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #1,175 of 2,020
  I'm interested in the Singxer SU1. Does it really make a difference?

It made a huge difference w/ my pwd mkii.

Not so much with the YggY. If anything I like it without the SU-1.

I'm selling my SU-1 now on here to get a dante setup.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,176 of 2,020

It made a huge difference w/ my pwd mkii.

Not so much with the YggY. If anything I like it without the SU-1.

I'm selling my SU-1 now on here to get a dante setup.

Agreed. It depends on the DAC. Strange though as I preferred my Yggy with the SU-1.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #1,178 of 2,020
I have finally pulled the triggered and got my self a pair of Fritz Carbon 7 SE speakers. The speakers sound great through my OPPO BDP-103 to my Gungnir Multibit to my Ragnarock. I am jamming out to Frank Zappa's Over-nite Sensation, and Montana just sounds spectacular. I am very happy to have some speakers to listen to now and then. But my headphones, connect with me on a personal almost spiritual level. Furthermore I can jam out without annoying my neighbors. But lol I am cranking up the volume on some Jimmy Hendricks. My neighbors are gone for now. I have the volume on the Ragnarock on 3/4, and this is the first time I have had the volume past the 12 a clock position. The bass on these bookshelf speakers is just so satisfying, the bass monkey that lives on my back is almost purring in content.

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #1,180 of 2,020
Hello everyone. Would you recommend the Ragnarok strictly as a speaker amplifier (probably looking at getting myself the B&W 805 D3), or should I look elsewhere?

The headphone out is strictly a "nice to have" for me and I can do without it without any issues.

From what I'm reading, there shouldn't be much of a difference between the headphone out and speaker out? So if the headphone out is super, so should the speaker out?

I like a matching stack though, so if I get the Ragnarok, I will get the Yggdrasil.

I also see that Schiit will be releasing a new power amplifier soon, but it needs a pre amplifier and I don't like to have so many boxes lying around.

So it's doubtful that I will be interested in that.

I will be looking to get a speaker setup again in the near future though, so I'm now starting to shop around a little :D

Edit: It might also be worth mentioning that I typically sit very near to my speakers (only about 40-50cm away) since I use them as part of my computer setup. I've always preferred this since it allows me to listen to my music more often since I spend a lot of time in front of my PC. And it also gives me the extra benefit of having better sound staging without having the speakers too far apart and also better bass at lower volumes.

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #1,181 of 2,020
Have you read this review http://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-ragnarok-integrated-amplifier#bBJkG05ruMwPKrlw.97  High marks as a speaker amp.  But if I were you I would buy some headphones just because LOL

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #1,182 of 2,020
Yep read that article already :D eep...

I already have a Sennheiser HD800S but it is in box sitting around house somewhere now >,<"... but slowly looking to sell them since I'm not using them anymore.

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #1,183 of 2,020

Hello everyone. Would you recommend the Ragnarok strictly as a speaker amplifier (probably looking at getting myself the B&W 805 D3), or should I look elsewhere?

The headphone out is strictly a "nice to have" for me and I can do without it without any issues.

From what I'm reading, there shouldn't be much of a difference between the headphone out and speaker out? So if the headphone out is super, so should the speaker out?

I like a matching stack though, so if I get the Ragnarok, I will get the Yggdrasil.

I also see that Schiit will be releasing a new power amplifier soon, but it needs a pre amplifier and I don't like to have so many boxes lying around.

So it's doubtful that I will be interested in that.

I will be looking to get a speaker setup again in the near future though, so I'm now starting to shop around a little
biggrin.gif

Edit: It might also be worth mentioning that I typically sit very near to my speakers (only about 40-50cm away) since I use them as part of my computer setup. I've always preferred this since it allows me to listen to my music more often since I spend a lot of time in front of my PC. And it also gives me the extra benefit of having better sound staging without having the speakers too far apart and also better bass at lower volumes.

I do not sit a half-meter away from my speakers. Though I enjoy the sound at close distance, which says more to the character of the sound coming from these, I also suspect you will have issues without soundstage and stereo image when sitting so close. I use an earlier generation of the speakers you seek, and have these happily connected to the Ragnarok now for over a year.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #1,184 of 2,020
Got my Ragnarok today. It is still cold and I haven't listened to it yet. Just curious how the alumnium on the Ragnarok and the Yggdrasil look. The Yggy has a coarser finish while the rag is smoother. Is the yggy's aluminum different than the rag?

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,185 of 2,020
Okay, time for first impressions. Ragnarok vs Mjolnir 2 w LISST

I was listening to the Rag after it was warm (hot) enough and playing some music, I guess maybe after 8 hours. I immediately took my HD 800S and listened to my favorite reference sample songs that I use for my personal benchmarking. I can immediately notice few things, which I summarize below.

1. Bass -> is a lot tighter and extends more deeper than the Mjolnir
2. Mids -> I don't really find much difference. Maybe it is better but I don't really remember.
3. Treble -> the HD 800S were a bit harsher on the Mjolnir but on the Rag it is not. It is rather well extended and has the sparkle but not fatiguing. That's amazing, now I wish I had the older HD 800 to compare if they still had the spike.
4. Soundstage -> Amazingly holographic, 3D+ like. The soundstage improved from 2D to 3D from Gumby to Yggy and it improved further (a lot more) with the Rag, I can't really seem to figure out the ends of the soundstage, it goes farther away from my ears to the point of infinity (lol, no)

Also, I think the Rag is a very good compliment to the yggy, I heard a lot of very minute/micro details in the songs which I never heard before. Of course, this is only noticable when I do some critical listening and only with the HD 800S.

Thanks for reading :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back