Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Oct 27, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,156 of 1,986

Jason mentioned in the latest Schiit Happens chapter that the eventual Ragnarok 2 will have a remote and listening mode indicator.

He also mentioned that he has absolutely no idea when or if this will ever happen. He only mentioned in passing that these are things they missed on the Ragnarok and MAY implement IF they ever make a successor

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,158 of 1,986
  He also mentioned that he has absolutely no idea when or if this will ever happen. He only mentioned in passing that these are things they missed on the Ragnarok and MAY implement IF they ever make a successor

Well yes, but unless they go out of business it seems likely that there will be an eventual Ragnarok 2.

But yes, all very good points as well.

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #1,159 of 1,986
Also, does anyone here have the new ELAC UB5's running with this amp? I'm considering a pair of these. I have PBN Montana Monitors but they're rated 100w at 8ohm, and I'm doubtful I can get the most out of them with the Ragnarok, even though it's a small room and listening levels won't be cranked too high.

I've had the Elac unifi UB5s for a few months now. I'm using the modi multibit dac > Ragnarok > UB5. The Ragnarok powers the UB5s well. The bass is quite good for the size of the speakers but having said that I'll be buying a decent sub when I have the cash. I would say that these speakers are amazing value for money. I bought the blemished version and here in Australia the cost was about $1350 less than ls50's when they are on sale. I think the key point with the UB5s is that they are great value for money - you can get better speakers but there's a decent jump in price to reach that next level.

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #1,160 of 1,986
Has anyone tried the rag with the hd 800 S model? Would appreciate your thoughts.

I was lucky enough to try the Yggdrasil > Ragnarok > HD800s when I bought my Ragnarok. I only sampled about 5 or so songs of my choice. At the time I thought it was the best setup / audio quality that I'd heard.

However, it also made me appreciate how good my HD598's truly are for the price. I concluded that I'd heard arguably one of the best setups (very briefly) and that personally I don't need to spend thousands more to get there from my current setup.

I currently have modi multibit > Ragnarok > HD598's via balanced cable - and the balanced option is definitely the way to go. This setup is thousands of dollars cheaper than top of the line but honestly it sounds amazing and is insanely good value.

I should add though that I met a guy who owned the Yggi>Ragnarok>HD800S and he had previously owned the HD800's. It was his opinion that the HD800S was worth the extra cash as an upgrade over the HD800.

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,161 of 1,986
I was lucky enough to try the Yggdrasil > Ragnarok > HD800s when I bought my Ragnarok. I only sampled about 5 or so songs of my choice. At the time I thought it was the best setup / audio quality that I'd heard.

However, it also made me appreciate how good my HD598's truly are for the price. I concluded that I'd heard arguably one of the best setups (very briefly) and that personally I don't need to spend thousands more to get there from my current setup.

I currently have modi multibit > Ragnarok > HD598's via balanced cable - and the balanced option is definitely the way to go. This setup is thousands of dollars cheaper than top of the line but honestly it sounds amazing and is insanely good value.

I should add though that I met a guy who owned the Yggi>Ragnarok>HD800S and he had previously owned the HD800's. It was his opinion that the HD800S was worth the extra cash as an upgrade over the HD800.

Ragnarok supplies about 3W into 32ohms over the single ended connection vs about 15W into 32ohm for balanced.  That's why the balanced sounds more robust.  Single ended is fine for my Grado's, but I wouldn't want to use it for the HD598.

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #1,162 of 1,986
Has anyone heard the WA5 and the Rag for comparisons? I'm selling my WA5 and thinking of getting a Rag. Just wondering how the Rag is in terms of soundstage size. Does anyone here use HD800 with the Rag and find it too bright?

Cheers 

Paddy

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,163 of 1,986
  Has anyone heard the WA5 and the Rag for comparisons? I'm selling my WA5 and thinking of getting a Rag. Just wondering how the Rag is in terms of soundstage size. Does anyone here use HD800 with the Rag and find it too bright?

Cheers 

Paddy

​My 800S pair well with Rag as well my Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers. That is one added benefit that Rag brings to the table. The ability to power speakers as well as headphones

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,164 of 1,986

​My 800S pair well with Rag as well my Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers. That is one added benefit that Rag brings to the table. The ability to power speakers as well as headphones

Yea so does the WA5 but with limited speakers. High sensitivity only. I have really good tubes for my WA5 - AVVT300b , TSBGRP, Brimar rectifiers. I wonder if the Rag is on par with that kind of a system. I might buy the Rag and do a comparison. Schiit still do the 30 days money back offer I assume?

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #1,165 of 1,986
  Yea so does the WA5 but with limited speakers. High sensitivity only. I have really good tubes for my WA5 - AVVT300b , TSBGRP, Brimar rectifiers. I wonder if the Rag is on par with that kind of a system. I might buy the Rag and do a comparison. Schiit still do the 30 days money back offer I assume?

​I am not 100% certain, but I believe it is a 15 day policy. Rag drives my 800S on medium gain with a listenable level at 1-2 o'clock on the volume dial., and the Wharfedale's on high gain at the same dial setting.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,166 of 1,986
Here you go, from Schiit website

15-Day Satisfaction Guarantee
Try Ragnarok in your own house for 15 days. If you don’t like it, simply send it back for a refund, minus a 5% transaction fee. Try spending 15 days in an audio store. They’ll kick you out. Unless you buy them donuts. Maybe.

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #1,167 of 1,986
I am in audio nirvana, I am just floored how great my Ragnarock makes the Focal Utopia sound. The bass has so much impact yet does not intrude upon the sweet, revealing mids. The highs are spot on, very revealing, without being too bright or sybilant. Frank Zappa's " Over-nite-Sensation " just sounds great, the bass is Dinah-Moe-Humm is so tight, with satisfying impact, yet does not muddy up the wonderful instruments. I feel the Ragnarock does a far better job at driving the Utopia, than my Liquid Crimson. I have not hooked the Utopia up to my primary system yet, still burning them in. Laters going to relisten to Montana, I need a dental floss fix lol.:)

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #1,169 of 1,986
  does anyone who owns a rag, think it would be a good amp for Vandersteen 2CE Signatures MKII, I don`t play loud and mostly listen to jazz or fusion. thanks in advance for replies. Greg

Ragnarok has 60watts @ 8ohms and recommended amplificatiion for those speakers is 40-160watts @ 8ohms so its within the recommended range.
If its a good pairing I dont know, should probably play well, depending on your definition of "not loud".

Plays my Kef LS50's well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back