Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Apr 23, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #1,983 of 2,004
Put my order in for the just an amp today. Couldn’t pass up the discount.
I’ve been on the fence for days now, and when I saw the “fully loaded” models go out of stock I knew it was time to pull the trigger…!

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #1,985 of 2,004
Came across this fun build video for the Rag 1:

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #1,986 of 2,004
Came across this fun build video for the Rag 1:

Interesting. One confident Tech. I like getting rid of the wire clips. The one thing I've done is get rid of the ridiculous tiny feet. Mine now 1" taller using sorb duro 70 rings and the amp runs well cooler with the extra ventilation - since my rack is solid wood (albeit the amp is sitting along two edges for more venting).

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #1,987 of 2,004
Apr 28, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #1,988 of 2,004
Apr 29, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #1,989 of 2,004
I'm not normally a fan of this kind of post, but it's been awhile since I've been this excited about new equipment, so I thought I would share some unboxing photos with y'all in case you wanted to live vicariously.

I haven't had any listening time with it yet (initial thoughts from my quick test are it's phenomenal), but my one word of advice would be to limber up before trying to unbox this thing! It is seriously heavy, and the last thing I'm sure anyone needs is angry looks from the better half about how you managed to slip a disc on yet another piece of expensive gear of all things! :beyersmile:

I will try to follow up with some impressions after spending a little more time with it.

P.S. Please forgive the unfinished speakers, that was one of the many projects I've started and have yet to finish** so they're not currently in use (but that's where the Rag 2 comes in).

**Just ask my wife about all of those!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #1,990 of 2,004
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ragnarok-2-help-with-pre-amp-subwoofer-config.972671/

So I came across this post and thought I'd bring it here so others here could maybe help this person. They mention that in "headphone only" mode the sub still receives a signal and therefore plays sound. Can anyone else confirm this? If this is true it makes me really second guess my desire to buy one of these. To me that's a big design flaw. The intention of "headphone only" mode is not to disturb others.

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #1,991 of 2,004
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ragnarok-2-help-with-pre-amp-subwoofer-config.972671/

So I came across this post and thought I'd bring it here so others here could maybe help this person. They mention that in "headphone only" mode the sub still receives a signal and therefore plays sound. Can anyone else confirm this? If this is true it makes me really second guess my desire to buy one of these. To me that's a big design flaw. The intention of "headphone only" mode is not to disturb others.
Yes, headphone mode doesn't defeat the preamp out. I think that makes sense, but anyway.

A Schiit Sys between the pre out and subwoofer solves this. Probably a dozen other ways, too. I use a Sys to hop between the Ragnarok and my home theatre receiver as inputs for the sub.

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #1,992 of 2,004
Yes, headphone mode doesn't defeat the preamp out. I think that makes sense, but anyway.

A Schiit Sys between the pre out and subwoofer solves this. Probably a dozen other ways, too. I use a Sys to hop between the Ragnarok and my home theatre receiver as inputs for the sub.

Why do you think it makes sense to have the sub going with headphones? there should at least be an option in the amp itself to disable it.

May 1, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #1,993 of 2,004
Why do you think it makes sense to have the sub going with headphones? there should at least be an option in the amp itself to disable it.
There was a post where Jason explained that they designed it this way based on user feedback, since evidently enough people wanted to be able to listen to headphones with a subwoofer for that extra rumble. I agree that a selector would be nice.

Maybe they can address it with a firmware update someday…

May 1, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #1,994 of 2,004
It's not a sub out, it's a preamp out. That preamp just so happens to be connected to a sub. It's on all the time. I don't think that's too bonkers.

I swear I remember that "turn off the preamp when there's a headphone plugged in" circuitry had a negative impact on the signal path, but I might be making that up.

And yes, cats listening to a sub with their HD600s is a thing. Hardcore!!

May 1, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #1,995 of 2,004
It's not a sub out, it's a preamp out. That preamp just so happens to be connected to a sub. It's on all the time. I don't think that's too bonkers.

I swear I remember that "turn off the preamp when there's a headphone plugged in" circuitry had a negative impact on the signal path, but I might be making that up.

And yes, cats listening to a sub with their HD600s is a thing. Hardcore!!

So if I use a sub and listen in "headphone only" mode does the sub get the lower frequencies instead of the headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back