Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #1,966 of 1,999
If the DAC is the sole source of the amp, what do you need to split anything for?

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #1,967 of 1,999
If the DAC is the sole source of the amp, what do you need to split anything for?

I was inquiring the best way to connect a subwoofer to the amp.

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #1,968 of 1,999
I was inquiring the best way to connect a subwoofer to the amp.
If it's as simple as that, RCA pre out to Subwoofer in. Turn on the LPF of your sub and you're set.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #1,969 of 1,999
Some earlier posts mention audible transformer hum with the Rag 2. Is that noticeable for near-field listening (especially with open-back headphones)?

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #1,970 of 1,999
Some earlier posts mention audible transformer hum with the Rag 2. Is that noticeable for near-field listening (especially with open-back headphones)?
I only notice it the moment I turn it off. More like "oh, it was humming a bit" as opposed to noticing it while it's running. Sometimes I even forget to turn it off. Definitely not audible when listening to anything.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #1,971 of 1,999

This thread was started for Ragnarok 1 and continued on for Ragnarok 2.

I believe any posts referencing transformer hum would have been for Rag 1. Originally Rag 2 had a EI transformer, but I believe Schiit took great care to encase that transformer and wrap it in metal case, to reduce noise.. My Rag 2 has an EI transformer and is dead quiet at all levels and gains..

New Rag 2s, like the ones being sold at great prices. by Schiit right now, all have toroidal transformers and are quite a bit quieter and apparently better sounding then even my Rag 2, which I love.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #1,972 of 1,999
On the Schiit site it says that the Rag 2 sends full power to the balanced headphone output. Would that not be the same or similar if I got an adapter to run my headphones from the speaker terminals on my current amp (Marantz PM6007). Most headphones outputs on stereo amps are not that good. But what about from the speaker terminals via an adapter?

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #1,973 of 1,999
On the Schiit site it says that the Rag 2 sends full power to the balanced headphone output. Would that not be the same or similar if I got an adapter to run my headphones from the speaker terminals on my current amp (Marantz PM6007). Most headphones outputs on stereo amps are not that good. But what about from the speaker terminals via an adapter?
You probably could, if you could find the right adapter.

Some have resistors in them that limit the output from the speaker taps.

An ideal solution would be something that had speaker level inputs on one side, XLR and 1/4” outputs on the other, and Schiit’s 128 step stepped attenuator in the middle.

That would be a killer product if anyone at Schiit is watching.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #1,974 of 1,999
You probably could, if you could find the right adapter.

Some have resistors in them that limit the output from the speaker taps.

An ideal solution would be something that had speaker level inputs on one side, XLR and 1/4” outputs on the other, and Schiit’s 128 step stepped attenuator in the middle.

That would be a killer product if anyone at Schiit is watching.

Yes that would be a good option. But the amp already has a volume control.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #1,975 of 1,999
The whole "speaker taps adapter" thing is 100% legit and has been a thing in the HiFiMAN world for over a decade (except for when the HE-6SE became cheap - then all of a sudden Topping A90s were good enough). In fact, I had a setup like that for a while for all my balanced headphones.

Just note that there are safeguards in well-designed headphone amplifiers that prevent transients from blowing up headphones upon power up or power down. Speaker taps don't have these, as speaker cones can handle them.

Schiit does say that the Ragnarok's headphone outputs are the same as the speaker posts, but the output impedance is lower for the speaker posts. I mean, it's low on the headphone jack, but even lower on the speaker posts. Thinking planars might like the lowest possible output impedance, I asked Schiit if I'm safe to use an adapter - I was told NO, don't do it, you'll probably short circuit the thing.

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #1,976 of 1,999
I'm very interested in this amp. But do I get just the amp or the "fully loaded" option? I don't need a phono preamp and the DAC would only be USB-C. No coax or optical. I do still have a Schiit Modi I can use. Apparently it comes with a remote but the website doesn't show it. What does it look like?
No opinion on the phono but the DAC is not worthy of the amp IMO. Adding extras makes it a tidy package, but, if you want an upgrade or something fails...

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #1,977 of 1,999
No opinion on the phono but the DAC is not worthy of the amp IMO. Adding extras makes it a tidy package, but, if you want an upgrade or something fails...

Agreed on this...

Phono is great, but for the love of audio, buy a separate dac....

Either of the Modi's or Bifrost are fantastic options....

I havent heard a Modius yet, but I've read it was good, plus 4 inputs...

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #1,978 of 1,999
Modius E is one of my favorite dacs to date.
Most dacs for me are hard to really discern real world sonic differences..shade of grey..
But the Modius E here is a realy discernible difference.

Totally amazed at hos clean and transparent this Modius E is,,,and for the price its a winner for sure.

Alex

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #1,979 of 1,999
I used the Modi 3 with Ragnarok 2 for a while, but when I got Ares 2, the Ragnarok 2 really came to life, made a huge difference to my ears (using speakers). It definitely deserves a good dac. I use it with Ares 12th and Fezz Audio Gratia RIAA now and it sound great. Kicks my Lyngdorf TDAI2170`s butt on Yamaha NS1000M

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #1,980 of 1,999
The Yggdrasil will be a perfect visual match. I love it with my Folkvangr. It’s worth checking the classifieds for used OG A2 models, you should be able to find one for not much more than a GS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back