Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jun 29, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #1,127 of 2,011
I just got a helluva deal on a brand new black unit ($1100). I've got 2 HA-1's that have been my primary listening stations but this is going in a new, small listening in my house that's about 8x10. So I need a DAC to pair it with the Ragnarok. Does anyone have recommendations of favorable synergy outside of the Yggy or other Schiit DAC's? I guess I'm looking for a standalone DAC with balanced outputs and preferably DSD capable, but not a must. My headphones are balanced AKG K812's and I think they're going to just destroy with this amp. The DAC is my question mark right now.

Also, does anyone here have the new ELAC UB5's running with this amp? I'm considering a pair of these. I have PBN Montana Monitors but they're rated 100w at 8ohm, and I'm doubtful I can get the most out of them with the Ragnarok, even though it's a small room and listening levels won't be cranked too high.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #1,129 of 2,011
Don't read too much into power specs of speakers just try them.  I am drooling over those new ELACs , the ragnarok should put enough power for those babies. 
As am I! I held off on buying on RD, and glad I did as a buddy had to return his for some bad rattle in the left tweeter. They're rolling out another batch this week though without the miscolored cone, and I may grab a pair next month regardless. I know the Rag can handle them! We'll see how the PBN Montanas sound, but they're paired with a Linn AV 5105 and sound so lush I'm not sure I want to move them into another system! Anyway, it's going to be fun to spend some time with this amp over the weekend :D

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #1,130 of 2,011
Couple questions for those of you that have this amp:

1)  When using the SE input, do you still get full power on the balanced headphone output?
2)  When using the SE headphone output, how much power does the amp lose?

I would want to use both the SE and balanced inputs and outputs from various equipment to various headphones.

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,131 of 2,011
  Couple questions for those of you that have this amp:

1)  When using the SE input, do you still get full power on the balanced headphone output?
2)  When using the SE headphone output, how much power does the amp lose?

I would want to use both the SE and balanced inputs and outputs from various equipment to various headphones.

#1 Yes
#2 the amp looses no power, but the SE output is limited in power output to ≈ 3watts @32Ω.

JJ

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #1,132 of 2,011
  #1 Yes
#2 the amp looses no power, but the SE output is limited in power output to ≈ 3watts @32Ω.

JJ

Thanks johnjen.

That's a huge restriction when using the SE jack.  Didn't realize the power output was that low.  I need to rethink this as only my LCD-XC has a balanced cable.  That's a lot of re-cabling I'd have to do.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #1,133 of 2,011
3 watts of power for headphones is HUGE.
And that only applies to the SE headphone output.

The other factor is SQ itself.
The SE output simply doesn't have the same SQ that the balanced speaker and HP outputs do.
It is after all a balanced amp, and the SE output is referred to as a 'convenience' outlet.

JJ

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,134 of 2,011
Thanks johnjen.

That's a huge restriction when using the SE jack.  Didn't realize the power output was that low.  I need to rethink this as only my LCD-XC has a balanced cable.  That's a lot of re-cabling I'd have to do.

I use a 4-pin XLR to 1/4" 'pigtail' for my SE cabled headphones. I prefer the SQ over the Rok's SE out. And I can use this pigtail on all my 1/4" terminated HP.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,135 of 2,011
I use a 4-pin XLR to 1/4" 'pigtail' for my SE cabled headphones. I prefer the SQ over the Rok's SE out. And I can use this pigtail on all my 1/4" terminated HP.

Why didn't I think of that? That's perfect.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #1,136 of 2,011

Do you mean the 1/4 termination of the HP connects to the 1/4 female adaptor, which then connects to the amplifier via a 4-pin XLR? So the adaptor is 1/4 female at one end and 4-pin XLR male at the other end? 

This will not be equivalent to a balanced cable will it? (Excuse my ignorance but I do not know how these cables and connections really work.)

Thanks.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #1,137 of 2,011
Going to buy a Raggy soon and pair with my Modi 2U(for now..). Its going to look completely bonkers 
tongue.gif

Was in the market for a high end speaker amp for around 1200bucks and found out that the raggy has speaker outs! High end speaker amp and headphone amp for the price of one =D Yay!

Need a balanced USB connected DAC for later thought. I don't have yggy or raggy money to spend on one.. Hell! i think i can spend 600bucks on a dac(maybe 800 if i sell some schiit). or maybe alot more if I'm convinced.. xD

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #1,138 of 2,011
  Going to buy a Raggy soon and pair with my Modi 2U(for now..). Its going to look completely bonkers 
tongue.gif

Was in the market for a high end speaker amp for around 1200bucks and found out that the raggy has speaker outs! High end speaker amp and headphone amp for the price of one =D Yay!

Need a balanced USB connected DAC for later thought. I don't have yggy or raggy money to spend on one.. Hell! i think i can spend 600bucks on a dac(maybe 800 if i sell some schiit). or maybe alot more if I'm convinced.. xD

I might wait to see what Schiit has planned in the near future.  One new product is being revealed next week, and supposedly others later this year.  I know they talked about 2 channel stereo stuff before.  I know I'm waiting but if the Rag is still the best I'm in the same boat as you.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #1,139 of 2,011

tongue.gif

I might wait to see what Schiit has planned in the near future.  One new product is being revealed next week, and supposedly others later this year.  I know they talked about 2 channel stereo stuff before.  I know I'm waiting but if the Rag is still the best I'm in the same boat as you.

Another reason to wait is that there may be a gently used Ragnarok for sale once the two channel gear hits. 
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,140 of 2,011
Another reason to wait is that there may be a gently used Ragnarok for sale once the two channel gear hits. :wink:

Good point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back