Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jan 1, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,186 of 2,023
  Got my Ragnarok today. It is still cold and I haven't listened to it yet. Just curious how the alumnium on the Ragnarok and the Yggdrasil look. The Yggy has a coarser finish while the rag is smoother. Is the yggy's aluminum different than the rag?

I have the same observation. The finish in the Rag is not as good as the Yggy. Rag edges are not bevelled and can cause a cut if you are not careful when shifting the amp. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #1,187 of 2,023

I have the same observation. The finish in the Rag is not as good as the Yggy. Rag edges are not bevelled and can cause a cut if you are not careful when shifting the amp. 

Not sure if I conveyed it right. The edges I haven't noticed but the aluminum looks a bit darker and feels coarser on the yggy than the rag. The rag looks a bit more polished and has a smooth surface. Maybe cuz my yggy is 1 year old and the rag is 2 weeks old? :)

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #1,188 of 2,023
  Not sure if I conveyed it right. The edges I haven't noticed but the aluminum looks a bit darker and feels coarser on the yggy than the rag. The rag looks a bit more polished and has a smooth surface. Maybe cuz my yggy is 1 year old and the rag is 2 weeks old? :)

My Rag and Yggy were delivered Feb 2016 and aluminium finishing on both were as you described. Can you confirm if the edges of your Rag are bevelled like the Yggy?

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #1,191 of 2,023
Just out of curiosity, would the Rag drive these? http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie I'm just casually browsing speaker setups :p

I know nothing about this kinda stuff.

​Rag is a class AB design that is rated at 100W RMS into 4ohm load, so from what I read (from the link you provided) I would say yes. I am driving some 6 ohm Wharfedales with a Rag and have power to spare.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #1,192 of 2,023
It was a ways back when someone mentioned that there was a problem with the common ground between the 2 speakers, or sumpt'n like that.
Perhaps it was using a subwoofer or the like.

I'd emails Schiit and ask, just for clarity's sake.

JJ

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #1,193 of 2,023
  It was a ways back when someone mentioned that there was a problem with the common ground between the 2 speakers, or sumpt'n like that.
Perhaps it was using a subwoofer or the like.

I'd emails Schiit and ask, just for clarity's sake.

JJ

it was Jason that said you can't use a speaker with a ( sub + sat )common ground setup with the Ragnarok, it`s protection will shut it down after while.

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #1,194 of 2,023

My Rag and Yggy were delivered Feb 2016 and aluminium finishing on both were as you described. Can you confirm if the edges of your Rag are bevelled like the Yggy?

My yggy(shipped this month) has bevelled edges.
My black raggy from sometime last year has reglar edges. But they don't feel sharp to the touch. Might be that the paint makes the edges not as rough though.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,195 of 2,023
Just out of curiosity, would the Rag drive these? http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie I'm just casually browsing speaker setups :p

I know nothing about this kinda stuff.

I was originally looking at that setup 

it was Jason that said you can't use a speaker with a ( sub + sat )common ground setup with the Ragnarok, it`s protection will shut it down after while.

But I have read this in multiple places 

I am 90% sure I'm now going with the magnepan .7 for my office. 

My yggy(shipped this month) has bevelled edges.
My black raggy from sometime last year has reglar edges. But they don't feel sharp to the touch. Might be that the paint makes the edges not as rough though.

My black rag also has straight edges bought back in late 2015 if i remember correctly

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #1,196 of 2,023
Just some thoughts I have after having my Rag for a couple days

It amazes me how much the Ragnarok's dynamics and power dominate my system. I always thought sound quality changed most with swapping headphones but the Rag seems to overtake everything. Any idea how it's amping capabilities compares to the Jotenheim?

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #1,197 of 2,023
  Just some thoughts I have after having my Rag for a couple days

It amazes me how much the Ragnarok's dynamics and power dominate my system. I always thought sound quality changed most with swapping headphones but the Rag seems to overtake everything. Any idea how it's amping capabilities compares to the Jotenheim?

The Rag is indeed a terrific amp. No idea how it compares to the Jot, but Ive read that Jot has a narrower soundstage etc, so why would anyone want to downgrade. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #1,199 of 2,023
Also should i be worried about the heat the ragnarok generates. my biggest nightmare is leaving the thing on and forgetting about it.

The Ragnarok does get hot but nothing to worry about. I just had my Ragnarok on for over 12 hours, driving my Fritz Carbon 7 speakers. Although I would not like to leave my Ragnarok on for days on end either. I only leave my dacs on continuously.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,200 of 2,023
I left my Ragnarok on for 2 months once. Once.... never again... it kept me nice and warm during the winter..

DAC's like the Yggdrasil should be on all the time though in order to perform optimally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back