Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Feb 27, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,217 of 2,004
I'm confused...is Ragnarok modular? I've read two separate reviews that refer to it as "modular" and referring to it as "upgradable". However, I don't believe it's described as modular or upgradable in the Schiit site.

Does this mean there's potential for a tube variant in the future?

Ragnarok is not upgradable. The book covers the impossibility of a tube variant in great detail.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 4, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #1,220 of 2,004
Looking at power conditioners. Anyone know the rags max current draw?

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1,221 of 2,004
  Looking at power conditioners. Anyone know the rags max current draw?

The specs on the Schiit website indicate 500 watts as the maximum power consumption. What conditioners are you looking at?

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #1,222 of 2,004
The conditioners tend to list a max amp draw. I am currently looking at 

Furman Elite-15i

Panamax M5400-PM 

so nothing to crazy or expensive. I want further protection for the gear from brown-outs and fluctuations. I am not holding any expectations for increased sound quality as in general our  power is pretty stable. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #1,223 of 2,004
  The conditioners tend to list a max amp draw. I am currently looking at 

Furman Elite-15i

Panamax M5400-PM 

so nothing to crazy or expensive. I want further protection for the gear from brown-outs and fluctuations. I am not holding any expectations for increased sound quality as in general our  power is pretty stable. 

I have that Furman unit in my BR system, used to be in my main system and I like it a lot. The Furman will give you the protection you seek, and you may notice improved sonics as a side effect.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #1,226 of 2,004
Will the balanced output on the Rag still emit more power than the SE output even if the rest of your rig (DAC/Source) is not balanced?

Yes

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #1,227 of 2,004
Hi, I'm interested in a Schiit Yggdrasil and and Ragnarok, but I might not be able to afford both. I was wondering if anyone has compared the Ragnarok to the Yamaha AS801?

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #1,228 of 2,004
  Hi, I'm interested in a Schiit Yggdrasil and and Ragnarok, but I might not be able to afford both. I was wondering if anyone has compared the Ragnarok to the Yamaha AS801?

I've not compared them.  However, prior to receiving my Rag a week back, I was considering that, or the A-S2100.  With the latter, I wanted something with the power, build integrity, and reduced feature set for 2-channel listening.  Plus, it's received all positive reviews.

I went with the Rag based on an acquaintance's recommendations.  I use it primarily for 2-channel, and I'm very pleased with it.  For me and my environment it's a better sounding amp than the Rogue Audio Sphinx it replaced - what is now apparent fatigue from the Sphinx (even w/ NOS Mullards) is now gone.  The grip on the music, esp. bass and mids, is something - I was shocked by the realism of a floor tom on one of the tracks.  Very smooth in the upper as well - the harshness from (e.g.) trumpet and harmon mute is now gone.  The plus is that it drives (my efficient) headphones well, and is available should I wish to upgrade those phones to something less efficient.  The Rag sounds better w/ my phones than my Jotunheim.

My only complain re the Rag is ergonomics - switching from speaker/headphone=>speaker-only=>headphone-only offers no visual confirmation.  You've got to be quick on the draw as you cycle through the options.  As well, the input/gain visual feedback is small for these aging eyes.  But it's a minor inconvenience.  For a someone less committed (e.g. wife, kids) the ergonomic bar is a higher.

Looking at the AS801, I see that it specs into 8 ohms.  Presumably it handles 4 ohms, but 4 ohms is my target so I focused on that.  The Rag is 100w at 4, the A-S2100 is 160w, and the Sphinx is 200w.

If you can swing it, I would order both amps, evaluate them for a time, and then send back your lesser option.  I could/should have done that with my purchase, but I guess I didn't want the hassle or the expense.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #1,229 of 2,004
Has anyone out there tried the Sennheiser HD650 with both the Ragnarok and Jotunheim and compared them sonically?
What are the sonic differences between the Jot and Rag when driving HD650?
Which has the best synergy with the 650?
Which opens up the treble on the 650 the best?
Thanks for your help.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #1,230 of 2,004
Haven't heard that jot, but I find the hd650 to really open up on the rag. At least in comparison to them out of my tu882. My DT770 did not scale in the same manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back