Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 12, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #3,061 of 13,350
LOL I meant to the HD800 in the event i do get them.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #3,062 of 13,350
Aug 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3,063 of 13,350
That is awesome!

I was just experiencing the same issue (though not with a tube amp, just wanted to route through my sound card to my speakers instead of my Modi/Magni to my headphones).  For a lot of my gaming, I prefer just my standard speakers, which are 5.1 surround, unless it is late night and I will use headphones then.

I will be very interested to see what they have and be one of the first in line to pick one up as soon as it comes out.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #3,064 of 13,350
Has anyone else noticed an increase in volume efficiency on their gear with burn-in? I took the Valhalla/T70 home from the office this weekend and ran them for most of it to burn them in. Before, when I first got them, I was comfortably listening at the loud level I find most comfortable with the volume pot at 12:00, but now, sitting here in the office on Monday, with probably 60-80 hours of burn in on top of the listening I'd done, it feels like I'm getting the same volume level I like as before with the volume pot only up to, say, 10:30. It doesn't seem all that crazy to me that burn-in might do this with stubborn, high impedance cans and an all-tube amp, I'm just curious if it's A Thing. 

After this burn-in, most of which I wasn't listening during, the setup sounds much, much better than the awesome it already did. The T70 in particular I knew would need some real breaking in, and it has opened up substantially in the low-mids and below, and become much clearer and gentler in the highs, as one would expect from a more flexible driver. I don't know what if anything is contributed in terms of the Valhalla or the tubes themselves burning in, but testing with both the Valhalla and the Magni, the T70 has changed very, very noticeably compared to when I unboxed it, and I'm more in love with it than ever. Major impedance, major burn in... these are some stubborn, picky cans, but oh so worth it. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #3,065 of 13,350
Are you sure it's not just your ears adjusting or the ambient noise level being lower? If the gain of your amp is increasing over time, something is very wrong.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #3,066 of 13,350
Quote:
Are you sure it's not just your ears adjusting or the ambient noise level being lower? If the gain of your amp is increasing over time, something is very wrong.

I am quite sure, though I think it's more likely due to a change in the drivers rather than in the amp, and the increase levelled off partway through burn in - i noticed it at home, as well. it coincided with the sound opening up on the cans - they got louder as they got better through burn-in. I don't think it's the Valhalla

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #3,067 of 13,350
Quote:
I am quite sure, though I think it's more likely due to a change in the drivers rather than in the amp, and the increase levelled off partway through burn in - i noticed it at home, as well. it coincided with the sound opening up on the cans - they got louder as they got better through burn-in. I don't think it's the Valhalla

Probably the ear pads.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #3,068 of 13,350
Quote:
 when I first got them, I was comfortably listening at the loud level I find most comfortable with the volume pot at 12:00, but now, sitting here in the office on Monday, with probably 60-80 hours of burn in on top of the listening I'd done, it feels like I'm getting the same volume level I like as before with the volume pot only up to, say, 10:30.

What you are describing---the equi-loudness volume shifting from 12 to 10:30 on a 15A contour potentiometer--- is a 6 dB change. I can assure you that this isn't your hardware changing 6dB unless something is very very wrong.

I suspect Armaegis has hit  the nail on the head.
Quote:

Cheers

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #3,069 of 13,350
Yahoo!!! I've had great success with the Lyr at home, so I took a flyer on the Magni in my office cube to drive my Mad Dogs.

Excellent all around and I'm not even using line-out yes (I'm using a Y splitter out of my Cowon D2 headphone jack, am getting a DX50 for proper lineout functionality). The Dogs are slighty tough to drive - the mids are sucked out on my portable Leckerton amp -, but no issue for Magni so far. Mighty fine bass, mids, vocal clarity, everything really. Plenty of headroom to spare too...I have the Cowon on 40/50 volume and the volume is perfect around 1:00. For the price, Magni is ridiculously good. The Leckerton was almost 3x the price!

Kudos Schiit!

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #3,070 of 13,350
I just got authorization from IT for them to install the Bifrost drivers if I get one... which was one of my (who am I kidding, my only) concerns about upgrading from the Modi, which I don't need admin to use. 

LET'S. GET. FINANCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE!!!

Uberfrost USB here I come. 

edit - trigger: pulled. uber usb. went for next day shipping while I was at it. so hype, cannot wait. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #3,071 of 13,350
Quote:
edit - trigger: pulled. uber usb. went for next day shipping while I was at it. so hype, cannot wait. 

LOL
very_evil_smiley.gif

You are the poster child for Head-Fi. Congrats and enjoy that UberFrost!
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #3,072 of 13,350
Quote:
I just got authorization from IT for them to install the Bifrost drivers if I get one... which was one of my (who am I kidding, my only) concerns about upgrading from the Modi, which I don't need admin to use. 

LET'S. GET. FINANCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE!!!

Uberfrost USB here I come. 

Congrats and happy listening!  I'm only a week into using my Uberfrost and loving it.  
L3000.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #3,073 of 13,350
I figure this one's likely...

Does anyone have experience going from a Modi to a Bifrost/Uberfrost, with the same gear otherwise? I am curious just how much a difference I should expect. I know a DAC can (and should) only do so much, and the Modi's stellar already, so it can't be immense... right? Also curious about people's opinions on the difference the Uber upgrade makes, alone. 

What kind of upgrade am I in for here? I don't expect nearly the same bang for my buck as the Magni->Valhalla swap, of course, but I get the feeling I'm in for something very noticeable.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #3,074 of 13,350
Quote:
I figure this one's likely...

Does anyone have experience going from a Modi to a Bifrost/Uberfrost, with the same gear otherwise? I am curious just how much a difference I should expect. I know a DAC can (and should) only do so much, and the Modi's stellar already, so it can't be immense... right? Also curious about people's opinions on the difference the Uber upgrade makes, alone. 

What kind of upgrade am I in for here? I don't expect nearly the same bang for my buck as the Magni->Valhalla swap, of course, but I get the feeling I'm in for something very noticeable.

For what it's worth I went from the non-uber-Bifrost to the Modi. The Modi is a great little DAC. If I had to put a number to it, I think it gives about 80% of the performance of the non-uber-Bifrost. So I'm assuming the UberFrost will give you a noticeable jump in sound quality. It's probably worth every penny. Not much better out there for under $500 IMO.

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3,075 of 13,350
I know this topic is about Schiit products but I just wanna say I just ordered the HE-500 on Amazon and chose 1 day shipping with 15 minutes left to order so I can get it tomorrow.  If I waited 16 minutes I would've had to gotten it on Friday.  I am not the richest person and I work at a job making less than $10/hr and I feel kinda horrible that I chose to buy headphones instead of more important things so I hope I made the right decision.  Looks like for the next 6 months I gotta go on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich diet for breakfast, lunch and dinner to save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back