Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #3,031 of 13,350
Quote:
My Mjolnir definitely burned in after 100+ hours. The HD800s were pretty unlistenable to me up until that point. I'd think an LCD owner might not notice the burnin as much since it's a pretty synergistic combo from the get go. For the HD800 though, the treble finally became acceptable, the bass came around, and the entire presentation was less aggressive and more defined all the way around. This ss amp changed more than any other I've owned. I also found that different powercords make a difference with the Mjolnir (and Bifrost) as well. YMMV.

-Daniel

Do you think that maybe it's your brain that's adjusting to the sound?

Here's my two cents. Initially when you hook up the amp your ears are hearing a different sound than what you're used to. Then after an arbitrary number of hours, your brain figures out how to ignore the information it doesn't want and you can tune into the information that was missing on your old gear. 

Think of a fan turned on in a room while you're watching TV, after a bit you mostly ignore it because your brain is focused on what it wants to hear, the dialogue of what you're watching. I suspect our brains do the same discarding to super revealing dacs/amps in a similar way and after time, we just hear the good stuff.

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #3,032 of 13,350
Quote:

Here's my two cents. Initially when you hook up the amp your ears are hearing a different sound than what you're used to. Then after an arbitrary number of hours, your brain figures out how to ignore the information it doesn't want and you can tune into the information that was missing on your old gear. 

Think of a fan turned on in a room while you're watching TV, after a bit you mostly ignore it because your brain is focused on what it wants to hear, the dialogue of what you're watching. I suspect our brains do the same discarding to super revealing dacs/amps in a similar way and after time, we just hear the good stuff.

I just searched the FAQs on their website and could not find a Q&A about burn-in.

I wonder what Schiit's official position is?  Is burn-in full of :>)  Had to get it in. lol

Jason, any comments?

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #3,033 of 13,350
There must be a Yes or NO answer to 'Does a Solid State amplifier 'burn in'? We are not talking about not checking to see if the assembly is correct but does it actually make a difference, change SQ past that.

My Mojo and PWD.......sound so very good from the gate that I cannot tell.  And as a mere consumer without technical training, cannot answer that question.

Easy for me to give a wishy-washy answer.

PERHAPS some improvement (especially with transducers), but I can't with confidence separate "component burn-in" from "listener burn-in".

I definitely have not experienced the "...this thing sounded like crap when I got it, but now sounds incredible..." phenomenon.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #3,034 of 13,350
EDIT: Solved my own problem.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #3,035 of 13,350
Quote:
Daniel,

can you provide some details on your "improved" power cables and the benefit you noticed?
are you located somewhere with "clean" power and these cables plug directly in the wall on 115/125V, or do you use some sort of conditioning unit like a Furman AC-215A?
thanks.

Yes-I swapped my Decware (SPC) which I've always used, with a Cuprum Copper (pure copper) and the results were immediate-the copper almost seemed like there was a warm haze (not good) over the entire spectrum, like everything was somewhat muted, like listening through a slight fog if you will. Switching back to the silver plated copper Decware instantly brought back a much improved clarity thoughout-like all that fog had gone away. Very easy to notice really, I was quite surprised as I had never experimented with power cable swaps before. I'm now curious how a pure silver cord might sound, but I assume the cost would be ridiculous, especially with these 10AWG mosters. I did not compare against any generic iec cables however. I also have both the Mjolnir and Eximus plugged into a Tripp Lite isolaton transformer-like always.

I've been using pure silver xlrs this entire time with the DP1>>MJ, but tonight I'll try swapping out for the Decware RCA's (also pure silver) to test defferences there as well. Not sure how much of the changes, if any, would be due to the SE vs balanced signal though...
Quote:

Nope-not one tiny bit actually. I BARELY listened perhaps 5 minutes the first 3 nights because it was much to harsh for my ears. Then on the fourth night (100 hours-ish)-most but not all of the harshness vanished. It became a very enjoyable amp for my HD800s, if still not quite ideal. The mids through this thing are GREAT though-best I've heard on an ss amp for sure.

-Daniel

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #3,036 of 13,350
Quote:
Yes-I swapped my Decware (SPC) which I've always used, with a Cuprum Copper (pure copper) and the results were immediate-the copper almost seemed like there was a warm haze (not good) over the entire spectrum, like everything was somewhat muted, like listening through a slight fog if you will. Switching back to the silver plated copper Decware instantly brought back a much improved clarity thoughout-like all that fog had gone away. Very easy to notice really, I was quite surprised as I had never experimented with power cable swaps before. I'm now curious how a pure silver cord might sound, but I assume the cost would be ridiculous, especially with these 10AWG mosters. I did not compare against any generic iec cables however. I also have both the Mjolnir and Eximus plugged into a Tripp Lite isolaton transformer-like always.

I've been using pure silver xlrs this entire time with the DP1>>MJ, but tonight I'll try swapping out for the Decware RCA's (also pure silver) to test defferences there as well. Not sure how much of the changes, if any, would be due to the SE vs balanced signal though...
 Nope-not one tiny bit actually. I BARELY listened perhaps 5 minutes the first 3 nights because it was much to harsh for my ears. Then on the fourth night (100 hours-ish)-most but not all of the harshness vanished. It became a very enjoyable amp for my HD800s, if still not quite ideal. The mids through this thing are GREAT though-best I've heard on an ss amp for sure.

-Daniel

What DAC did you listen to them through?

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #3,038 of 13,350
My Mjolnir sounds the same to me now after >500 hrs listening as it did right out of the box.
Have not received SW cable yet but doubt seriously there will be any definable change in SQ there either. Just don't buy into the burn in. Tubes age but SS is what it is.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #3,039 of 13,350
I found Mjolnir really settled down after the 100-ish hour mark. Gungnir to some extent as well. 

Burn-in is one of those highly debatable topics. Until you experience it...and even then, who knows if it's not all in your head. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #3,041 of 13,350
Quote:
I found Mjolnir really settled down after the 100-ish hour mark. Gungnir to some extent as well. 

Burn-in is one of those highly debatable topics. Until you experience it...and even then, who knows if it's not all in your head. 

How were your experiences with the Mojo/Gung stack for the HD800?

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #3,042 of 13,350
Quote:
Eximus DP-1.

-Daniel

edit: Cable swapping was done only on the MJ. I always had a second Decware on the DP-1.

Did you ever have the Mojo with Gungnir through the HD800? I'm looking for more opinions on this combo.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #3,044 of 13,350
Quote:

+1
I experienced burn-in with every piece of Schiit gear I've owned. Multiple amps/dacs, all of them. I think 50~100 is a good number. Belief in burn-in doesn't really hurt anybody or their wallets, so not sure why people get hostile over it. Burn-in happens naturally anyway, after a month or two. Now I'm against people saying 1000+ hours, but saying 24~100 hours seems pretty harmless to me. And umm.. yes this is my subjective personal experience of course and YMMV, etc, etc...

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #3,045 of 13,350
Quote:
How were your experiences with the Mojo/Gung stack for the HD800?

I really liked them. I thought the Gungnir was a bit too strong and upgraded to the M51, in which, came off as a tad bit too mellow.
Ultimately both were very good with Mojo and HD800, it's just a give and take relationship.

I chalked it up to the HD800 being a tough nut to crack. Both were stellar with the LCD-3 and even Mad Dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back