Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2,791 of 13,350
[size=10pt]Thanks for your input guys! I’ve never listened to a separate CD/DAC and wondered if there would be any benefit in going that route. I get the impression that the difference wouldn’t justify the expense so for the meantime I’m staying with the Marantz.[/size]

[size=10pt]elwappo99: Yes, the Marantz looks very much like the one shown. I wanted a unit that had excellent sound and this was the one recommended. [/size]

[size=10pt]jmsaxon69: I honestly don’t know which screen is in my 650’s. I purchased them around four or five years ago. When did Sennheiser make the switch from black to silver?  I gather there must be a difference in sound between the two? I’ll have to do some research into this.[/size]

[size=10pt]Overall I’m very happy with the sound from this combination. Jason & Mike make a killer amp for $350! Replacing the driver tubes with the 1964 Novosibirsk set improved the resolution and detail I was getting from the stock 6N1P’s which was already very good. It’s possible that they may be a little too intense if that makes any sense. I’ll live with a little brashness if that’s the price to pay for the level of detail and transparency I’m getting with the older tubes. I also found that swapping the stock output tubes with the 1963 Foton 6N6P’s gave a slightly improved bass response without making the amp sound stodgy or slow. [/size]

[size=10pt]I’ve got another set of driver & output tubes I purchased from Mr.Tom that are of a slightly newer vintage. I haven’t listened to them yet so I’ll stick ‘em in and see how they fare. This may be the best I’m going to get with this system and it’s a vast improvement over my 30 year old Carver C-1. I think I’m going to retire the old boy and upgrade to a Woo WA2 for my main system. The Valhalla is currently in my bedroom system.[/size]
[size=10pt]Tubes all the way!
atsmile.gif
[/size]

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2,792 of 13,350
Quote:
[size=10pt]Thanks for your input guys! I’ve never listened to a separate CD/DAC and wondered if there would be any benefit in going that route. I get the impression that the difference wouldn’t justify the expense so for the meantime I’m staying with the Marantz.[/size]

[size=10pt]elwappo99: Yes, the Marantz looks very much like the one shown. I wanted a unit that had excellent sound and this was the one recommended. [/size]

[size=10pt]jmsaxon69: I honestly don’t know which screen is in my 650’s. I purchased them around four or five years ago. When did Sennheiser make the switch from black to silver?  I gather there must be a difference in sound between the two? I’ll have to do some research into this.[/size]

[size=10pt]Overall I’m very happy with the sound from this combination. Jason & Mike make a killer amp for $350! Replacing the driver tubes with the 1964 Novosibirsk set improved the resolution and detail I was getting from the stock 6N1P’s which was already very good. It’s possible that they may be a little too intense if that makes any sense. I’ll live with a little brashness if that’s the price to pay for the level of detail and transparency I’m getting with the older tubes. I also found that swapping the stock output tubes with the 1963 Foton 6N6P’s gave a slightly improved bass response without making the amp sound stodgy or slow. [/size]

[size=10pt]I’ve got another set of driver & output tubes I purchased from Mr.Tom that are of a slightly newer vintage. I haven’t listened to them yet so I’ll stick ‘em in and see how they fare. This may be the best I’m going to get with this system and it’s a vast improvement over my 30 year old Carver C-1. I think I’m going to retire the old boy and upgrade to a Woo WA2 for my main system. The Valhalla is currently in my bedroom system.[/size]
[size=10pt]Tubes all the way!
atsmile.gif
[/size]

If you've got a marantz that looks anything like that you'll really never need to upgrade. I had one of those and it was stellar. 

You most likely have the older black screen HD650. The newer ones look like this. The older ones were known to not be as smooth across the upper range and focus a little more on bass. Fwiw, I actually preferred the black ones as the bass and midrange was very smooth and incredible with tube amps. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2,793 of 13,350
Hey guys, I just ordered the Uber Bifrost and Asgard 2 but forgot to add the RCA cables to the order.  The total shipping for the first order is $15.72.  Looks like I can't edit the order now and if I add the RCA cable now it would cost me $6.44 for shipping...If I would've added the RCA cables in the first place would I get charged the same $15.72 for shipping or what?  Thanks

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2,794 of 13,350
Probably not but you should just contact Schiit directly.... http://schiit.com/contact/

If the order hasn't been shipped then they can probably add it into your order without a hitch... Hit em up quick though, the sooner the better!
Quote:
Hey guys, I just ordered the Uber Bifrost and Asgard 2 but forgot to add the RCA cables to the order.  The total shipping for the first order is $15.72.  Looks like I can't edit the order now and if I add the RCA cable now it would cost me $6.44 for shipping...If I would've added the RCA cables in the first place would I get charged the same $15.72 for shipping or what?  Thanks

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2,798 of 13,350
I already emailed them before asking here but I thought I'd ask here too to see if you guys would know anything about this.  Thanks guys

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #2,799 of 13,350
I ordered yesterday afternoon and I am shocked they are shipping my uber bifrost and asgard 2 now since it said the asgard 2 was on backorder and would be shipped in 5-7 days.  Anyways I'm an idiot when it comes to audio stuff, can anyone go to amazon and help me look for the right/best rca cables?  There are a bunch of them and not sure which one to choose.

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,800 of 13,350
 http://www.amazon.com/PYST-RCA-Cables-6-inches/dp/B00CICPTHC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1373662072&sr=8-9&keywords=schiit 
Quote:
I ordered yesterday afternoon and I am shocked they are shipping my uber bifrost and asgard 2 now since it said the asgard 2 was on backorder and would be shipped in 5-7 days.  Anyways I'm an idiot when it comes to audio stuff, can anyone go to amazon and help me look for the right/best rca cables?  There are a bunch of them and not sure which one to choose.

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,801 of 13,350
Woohoo, finally have some Schiit again!

Now I can stop plugging my HD600s directly into my laptop. Even on first listen it's pretty blatantly obvious that the laptop wasn't doing the Sennheisers any favors.

Incidentally, looks like they've updated their PYST RCA cables, the new ones are thinner and more flexible and seem to work noticeably better at not lifting something as light as the Modi.

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #2,802 of 13,350
I received this month's Stereophile today, and there's an review of the Bifrost!

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2,803 of 13,350
Quote:
I received this month's Stereophile today, and there's an review of the Bifrost!

Yep, we were sworn to secrecy. We still can't quote it, but the measurements should put to rest some of this "Schiit's a bunch of knuckle-draggers working in a garage with no test equipment making stuff that can't possibly measure well" nonsense.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #2,804 of 13,350
Yep, we were sworn to secrecy. We still can't quote it, but the measurements should put to rest some of this "Schiit's a bunch of knuckle-draggers working in a garage with no test equipment making stuff that can't possibly measure well" nonsense.

That is awesome Jason, but for my part I don't need a bunch of numbers and "professional" opinions to tell me when Shiit sounds amazing. Shiit is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #2,805 of 13,350
Quote:

I think you fared pretty well!  

Though I was SHOCKED to hear that the MSB Diamond, at $43,325.00 MSRP, sounded better than the Bifrost. 
wink.gif

I think that as a subscriber, I am allowed to quote a bit: "...the Bifrost has the highest ratio of value to price of any product I've reviewed."  
cool.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back