Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,536 of 13,350
Quote:
Be careful with the lcd2 itch. In terms of weight and comfort, it's like going from a baseball cap to a football helmet...no joke. It won't be just like that for everyone but it was a deal breaker for me. 

Quote:
I bought the LCDs and then started neck strengthening exercises :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yep. I cannot wear mine for longer than about an hour. I'm likely switching to the HD800s which are totally comfortable. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #2,537 of 13,350
I don't get it. Maybe I have a strong neck haha. I never had a problem wearing my HE-500s since the day I got them. I was probably wearing them for around 10 hours a day during the weekends during that time.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2,538 of 13,350
Quote:
Be careful with the lcd2 itch. In terms of weight and comfort, it's like going from a baseball cap to a football helmet...no joke. It won't be just like that for everyone but it was a deal breaker for me. 

oh definitely, any orthos are heavy. I tried both of them at a meet (LCD-2 and HE500) and I didn't find the clamp or weight too bothersome (I have a small head) while my friend who has a significantly larger head just could not stand the clamp. However, I only had them on for a song or two, so I can't say too much about long term fatigue... man I gotta try them again.

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #2,540 of 13,350
I had to re-bend the band on my HE500 to fit my head, the clamp was painful, and yes, they are heavy, but didn't bother me after hours of listening. However, I do like my HD800's comfort much better.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2,541 of 13,350
Got my Valhalla today! Haven't settled on my headphones yet.  May pickup a pair of second hand DT990 600 ohm (I'd love to find some DT880  600ohm) to hold me over till I really know what I want.  I was sure it was going to be HD650 or HD700, now I am not so sure. 

Using the Dragon Fly as a DAC and the SR80i to listen right now, doesn't sound horrible....

2 questions:

Will the Sennheiser Momentum do any damage(18 ohm) to the amp if I try them out?  I realize they may not be ideal, but they should sound better than the SR80i.

Also, as far as the tubes go I have one that has a REALLY brightly glowing element at the top,is that normal? It is one of the preamp tubes and it is OBVIOUSLY burning brighter that all of the others.  Anything to be concerned with?  I haven't owned any tube gear (except guitar amps) in about 15 years!

Any headphone recommendations are welcome!

Thanks,

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #2,542 of 13,350
Valhalla specifies 32 to 600 ohm cans, so that's a bit low. In fact the output impedance of Valhalla is higher (25) than the Senn input at 18, so that doesn't sound like even a temporary plan to me.

With tube speaker amps around the house for years, I'm used to seeing different "glows", for example with four (matched and perfectly biased) power tubes. But I've noticed that it's sometimes the result of the tube sockets "facing" different tubes in different directions. So if I look from a different angle, the glow changes. You could swap the 6n1p left/right and see how it looks. If you still don't like it you can email Schiit.

Enjoy!

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #2,543 of 13,350
Quote:
Valhalla specifies 32 to 600 ohm cans, so that's a bit low. In fact the output impedance of Valhalla is higher (25) than the Senn input at 18, so that doesn't sound like even a temporary plan to me.

With tube speaker amps around the house for years, I'm used to seeing different "glows", for example with four (matched and perfectly biased) power tubes. But I've noticed that it's sometimes the result of the tube sockets "facing" different tubes in different directions. So if I look from a different angle, the glow changes. You could swap the 6n1p left/right and see how it looks. If you still don't like it you can email Schiit.

Enjoy!

Yes, I tried looking at different angles and I did swap the tube earlier and the same(same filament, same tube) result, just not sure if it's anything to worry about or not?

The SR80i are sounding pretty damn good! But as per usual my ears are killing me! 

Anyone with DT880 or DT990 600 ohms care to chime in on how they sound with the Valhalla?

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2,544 of 13,350
I have a Magni/Modi combo and recently got the PYST because the giant knot 6' RCA interconnects were driving me nuts. The PYST are a great improvement, but I recently found these on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Male-Male-Preamp-Jumpers-2/dp/B0006VMBGO/ref=pd_sim_e_4

These are even more compact that the PYST, but I was wondering if they are too compact to work with Magni/Modi? Personally, I cringe thinking about spending $30 on 3 inch cables, but space on my desk is at a premium and the heft of the PYSTs make them take up a lot more real estate that 6" cables ought to.

Anybody know if these ultra-compact jumpers would work with Magni/Modi without undue stress on the rca jacks or preventing them from stacking nicely? Any alternatives?

Cheers

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #2,545 of 13,350
Yea I got my K702 Annies from razordog. If I had known bout them earlier, I would have gotten my HD 650s from them too.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #2,546 of 13,350
Quote:
I have a Magni/Modi combo and recently got the PYST because the giant knot 6' RCA interconnects were driving me nuts. The PYST are a great improvement, but I recently found these on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Male-Male-Preamp-Jumpers-2/dp/B0006VMBGO/ref=pd_sim_e_4

These are even more compact that the PYST, but I was wondering if they are too compact to work with Magni/Modi? Personally, I cringe thinking about spending $30 on 3 inch cables, but space on my desk is at a premium and the heft of the PYSTs make them take up a lot more real estate that 6" cables ought to.

Anybody know if these ultra-compact jumpers would work with Magni/Modi without undue stress on the rca jacks or preventing them from stacking nicely? Any alternatives?

Cheers

honestly, don't get anything in themiddle, either get very long, or very short, but you have to make a bet when you buy short ones, they can be too short or a bit long thus making the magni going all directionos(cus it's too light) I tried pyst, a bit too long so magni nods downwards. that cable you see there looks like it will jerk magni facing the ceiling. just get a 3 feet cable and have them sit at the back to be safe.......

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #2,547 of 13,350
Quote:
honestly, don't get anything in themiddle, either get very long, or very short, but you have to make a bet when you buy short ones, they can be too short or a bit long thus making the magni going all directionos(cus it's too light) I tried pyst, a bit too long so magni nods downwards. that cable you see there looks like it will jerk magni facing the ceiling. just get a 3 feet cable and have them sit at the back to be safe.......

Putting rubber bands around the connectors of the PYST cables should help. This is what Schiit themselves do here:

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #2,548 of 13,350
Quote:
...that cable you see there looks like it will jerk magni facing the ceiling. just get a 3 feet cable and have them sit at the back to be safe.......

That's exactly what I'm worried about. Also, it was the 3 foot cable I had before that made me get the PYST in the first place because it was just an eyesore, tanglemess.

Quote:

Putting rubber bands around the connectors of the PYST cables should help. This is what Schiit themselves do here:

I've seen that before, but my PYST cables work just find without the rubber bands---the stack sits normally. The "problem" I am having is that the PYST cables stick straight back (clearly seen in the video), which effectively doubles the depth of the footprint that the stack takes up on my desk. Anybody come up with a clever solution for this?

Also, I love Mike Moffat's attitude in the video: "It's fun and cheap---Either get it or don't, I don't give a schiit" Awesome.

Cheers!

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #2,550 of 13,350
Quote:
Fortunately I found a store in the area that actually carries the LCD-2 so hopefully they will have a demo unit that I can try out.  There is no way in hell that I am going to drop that kind of money on a headphone without trying them first.  That is what kept me from buying some high end Grados, since I couldn't stand the feel of them when I tried them out.

I demo'ed my LCD-2s from thecableco before I ended up buying them. You have to put down a deposit and pay for shipping, but when you go to buy something you can put that deposit towards the price, and the shipping on the product will be free. Well worth it to try it out for 2 weeks in your own home, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back