Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,506 of 13,350
Going to upgrade my M&M deck and was looking for some recommendations (keeping the Magni and Modi, just going to be at work).  I was going to get the Woo Audio WA-7 mostly for aesthetics (it is a beautiful piece of gear) and for simplicity since it is an all in one, and a little bit because I wanted to give tubes a try.  Ditched that idea when I saw that the only input was USB and I really want to use S/PDIF (I'd like to free up a USB port on my Mac).

I've already decided on the Bifrost DAC but which amp should I get?  Asgard2 seems to be the no brainer if I want an all around solid state champ, but I'm still intrigued by the idea of tubes.  I mostly listen to classic rock, jazz, and classical (minimum 320kbps AAC though I am rapidly expanding my lossless and HD library), and my main headphones are my HD650s (though that may change as well).  It is not an issue of cost.  Hell, I can get any of these options together for less than what I would have paid for the WA7 (yay, more money left over for headphones).

I'm sure many of you have had this same dilemma and thought I would ask for some advice.  I have read a ton of reviews here and at other sources and a few comparisons but most of the comparisons have been between the tubes or the solid states (perhaps I missed a thread but it wasn't for lack of trying).  Are tubes too 'warm' for the HD650s?  Would it be a better match to have a brighter amp or should I go for the tubes and find a better headphone to match it?  Too many options and it is driving me nuts!  I really don't think I need the power of the Lyr (though it is probably the most versatile of the three) so it would really probably be just between the Asgard2 and Valhalla.

Appreciate any advice.

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #2,508 of 13,350
As stated, the Asgard 2 seems more appropriate for an "all-rounder" and is the amp that just screams value. (I was gonna nab one of these, but the wait for a Canadian dealer to get some was just too long... and something better came along 
rolleyes.gif
)

Sad to say, but IMHO Valhalla just doesn't seem to get as much love here (not no love... just simply not as much as A2 and Lyr) and they also seem a bit "cornered" for only high impedance cans.

The Lyr would likely be more suitable if you're the kinda guy that likes the idea of tube-rolling and trying out different flavours that the tubes offer...  be warned though that this can get costly... friend of mine is already on the path 
wink.gif
. The Lyr is also excellent for more power hungry orthos... so if you're ever thinking HE 500, LCD2... then perhaps this is the amp for you.

Out of the three, I've only tried the Lyr and can safely say that they pair very well with the HD 650s 
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,511 of 13,350
Quote:
That you used the amp more than you claim and you exceeded the 15 day return policy, so you're looking to dump the unwanted Valhalla here.  Not too hard to figure out.

actually I have only used it about 5 minutes, that's all truth. As for the 15 day policy it might have been during the time I was going through a personal problem that have no obligation to let go

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2,512 of 13,350
Quote:
As stated, the Asgard 2 seems more appropriate for an "all-rounder" and is the amp that just screams value. (I was gonna nab one of these, but the wait for a Canadian dealer to get some was just too long... and something better came along 
rolleyes.gif
)

Sad to say, but IMHO Valhalla just doesn't seem to get as much love here (not no love... just simply not as much as A2 and Lyr) and they also seem a bit "cornered" for only high impedance cans.

The Lyr would likely be more suitable if you're the kinda guy that likes the idea of tube-rolling and trying out different flavours that the tubes offer...  be warned though that this can get costly... friend of mine is already on the path 
wink.gif
. The Lyr is also excellent for more power hungry orthos... so if you're ever thinking HE 500, LCD2... then perhaps this is the amp for you.

Out of the three, I've only tried the Lyr and can safely say that they pair very well with the HD 650s 
biggrin.gif

Tube-rolling... the term that strikes fear in the hearts of bank accounts and wives (only right behind, 'I want to find some nice music gear.').  I love the idea of tube-rolling but I'm wary of never being sure what is 'out there'.  It seems that tube powered amps are a way for audiophiles to punish themselves. 
wink.gif

I am surprised that there isn't more talk about the Valhalla as well.  That is part of the reason I am having so much trouble deciding.  It would seem to be an awesome amp and yet no one talks about it much.  Is that a hint or is it just stuck in the nether-world between the Asgard and Lyr (perhaps they should have named it Niflheim since it is kind of the Norse purgatory).

I am looking at the LCD-2s (I mean who doesn't at some time, but I keep looking at them), and so it would seem that the Valhalla is out but the LCD-2s are a very tenuous maybe while my HD650s are a definite as well as some other dynamics that I'm looking at as well.  Man, while I love this 'hobby', it is frustrating sometimes.

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,515 of 13,350
It doesn't have to be expensive at all. There is a great thread where there are loads of users who have already put a lot of time in tube rolling and you can easily find recommendations for great tubes, for whatever headphones you decide to pair up  http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7695#post_9531219

I haven't spent much money at all on tubes, but my 650s now sound amazing  
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,517 of 13,350
Quote:

Tube-rolling... the term that strikes fear in the hearts of bank accounts and wives (only right behind, 'I want to find some nice music gear.').  I love the idea of tube-rolling but I'm wary of never being sure what is 'out there'.  It seems that tube powered amps are a way for audiophiles to punish themselves. 
wink.gif

I am surprised that there isn't more talk about the Valhalla as well.  That is part of the reason I am having so much trouble deciding.  It would seem to be an awesome amp and yet no one talks about it much.  Is that a hint or is it just stuck in the nether-world between the Asgard and Lyr (perhaps they should have named it Niflheim since it is kind of the Norse purgatory).

I am looking at the LCD-2s (I mean who doesn't at some time, but I keep looking at them), and so it would seem that the Valhalla is out but the LCD-2s are a very tenuous maybe while my HD650s are a definite as well as some other dynamics that I'm looking at as well.  Man, while I love this 'hobby', it is frustrating sometimes.

Yea, the Valhalla's only real selling point is that it's OTL... but many others here have raved bout the (less expensive??) Crack OTL as a heavenly pairing with the HD 650s so you may want to consider that one if you're comfortable with DIY (I was curious but not confident in building skill and lacked the tools). 

I have a friend who has the same LCD2 itch hahaha, it seems like a tenacious one that won't go away till its scratched 
wink_face.gif
. So yea, I'd argue you might just wanna jump to the Lyr (since you seem committed to this wallet draining hobby by now 
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Only reason to avoid the Lyr is if you have sensitive IEMS or cans due to the noise floor. In which case go for the Asgard 2 (it has plenty juice to drive LCD2s) or bite the bullet and look for a good used Mojo/Gun deal (which we all suspect will show up a lot once the statements come out). 
beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,518 of 13,350
Quote:
good used Mojo/Gun deal (which we all suspect will show up a lot once the statements come out). 
beerchug.gif

Can't wait to hear some bestial black metal on mojo/gun's and HE-500's huehuehuehue

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #2,519 of 13,350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back