Schiit Owners Unite
May 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #2,028 of 13,350
Yes, I do.  It is an amazing headphone amp.  The non-uber Bifrost the biggest bottleneck in my system right now, I am excited to see if this upgrade will make the difference I hope they do.  The HD800s will let me know right away. 

I'll be watching what you and others say about the upgrades. Not just if you like it, but what the sonic characteristics of the new version are. Also the new J Kenny Ciunas is coming out. I want the dust to settle on both of these before spending more $.

May 2, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #2,030 of 13,350
Question for you Schiit owners, especially Lyr owners.

I've read good things about the Lyr driving high impedance headphones. It seems one reason, besides the great amount of power the Lyr has, is the fact that it runs "essentially single-ended Class-A operation for high-impedance headphones," as per Schiit's website. So my question is, if a sensitive low-impedance headphone like a Denon or Grado presents a noise floor using the Lyr, would it make sense to use a 500 ohm resistor adapter to essentially bump up the "headphone load" of a Grado or Denon to ~532 ohm? That should in theory reduce or eliminate noise floor, improve volume attenuation, and cause the Lyr to operate in Class-A, correct?

An example for clarification, the adapter would go: Grado SR60i -> 500 ohm resistor adapter -> Schiit Lyr

The adapter I'm talking about would be a single ended version of what MalVeauX is using here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project/795#post_9202524

If this makes sense, this would be an inexpensive addition to a Lyr setup to make it virtually universal in its use with any headphone. But I'm not totally savvy as to all this electrical / engineering jazz, so correct my thinking if this isn't a good idea.

May 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,034 of 13,350
^^ f5, f5, f5!! 
size]

May 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2,035 of 13,350
Quote:
not the other one?

Nope, I don't have any USB board in my Bifrost at all, I don't use my DAC for USB, at least not in my Big Rig.  I feed it with the coax digital signal out of my Squeezebox Touch.

May 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,037 of 13,350
Just ordered both boards for mine.  Any pictures from you guys that have them already?
Hmmm, what to do with the old boards....??

May 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2,038 of 13,350
Just ordered both boards for mine.  Any pictures from you guys that have them already?
Hmmm, what to do with the old boards....??

That's a good question. I suppose I'll keep it as a spare, though I doubt I'll ever need it. I could turn it into a keychain...

May 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #2,039 of 13,350
Question for you Schiit owners, especially Lyr owners.

I've read good things about the Lyr driving high impedance headphones. It seems one reason, besides the great amount of power the Lyr has, is the fact that it runs "essentially single-ended Class-A operation for high-impedance headphones
," as per Schiit's website. So my question is, if a sensitive low-impedance headphone like a Denon or Grado presents a noise floor using the Lyr, would it make sense to use a 500 ohm resistor adapter to essentially bump up the "headphone load" of a Grado or Denon to ~532 ohm? That should in theory reduce or eliminate noise floor, improve volume attenuation, and cause the Lyr to operate in Class-A, correct?

An example for clarification, the adapter would go: Grado SR60i -> 500 ohm resistor adapter -> Schiit Lyr

The adapter I'm talking about would be a single ended version of what MalVeauX is using here: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project/795#post_9202524

If this makes sense, this would be an inexpensive addition to a Lyr setup to make it virtually universal in its use with any headphone. But I'm not totally savvy as to all this electrical / engineering jazz, so correct my thinking if this isn't a good idea.

I've wondered about an impedance adaptor to bump up my RS1i for Valhalla use, but couldn't find one online. So now you've pointed me towards a possibility. Thanks! Downside would be one more cable and connector (unless BTG could just rewire the phones).

Actually the Valhalla is more than satisfactory driving the Grados, both from a noise (none audible) and sonic perspective.

May 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #2,040 of 13,350
Quote:
I've wondered about an impedance adaptor to bump up my RS1i for Valhalla use, but couldn't find one online. So now you've pointed me towards a possibility. Thanks! Downside would be one more cable and connector (unless BTG could just rewire the phones).

Actually the Valhalla is more than satisfactory driving the Grados, both from a noise (none audible) and sonic perspective.

Send a message to MalVeauX, he will gladly point you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back