1/4" TRS in front?

Officially no changes since Jason's last 'clarification.'

Except no dual 3-pin XLR, I believe.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,953 of 13,350
Quote:
Officially no changes since Jason's last 'clarification.'

Except no dual 3-pin XLR, I believe.

Oh yes, forgot to mention balanced. Figured that was assumed :D

It will be a tough decision to grab a Mjolnir at a great price when this comes out or to grab a statement. With so much functionality in one unit, it's kind of hard to pass up on. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,954 of 13,350
Quote:

Oh yes, forgot to mention balanced. Figured that was assumed :D

It will be a tough decision to grab a Mjolnir at a great price when this comes out or to grab a statement. With so much functionality in one unit, it's kind of hard to pass up on. 

I can understand your dilemma.
It's definitely exciting to see how the statement gear shapes out to be.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #1,956 of 13,350
I want to see some DAC specs already! I do realize its unfair to whine about it.

How is the Gungnir compared to Bifrost? The Bifrost is bottlenecking my current setup and I'm looking to upgrade the DAC soon. It isn't awful, the Bifrost is a really nice DAC -- do not get me wrong, but it is noticeable. I don't have access to a Gungnir to test, but I'm considering selling the Bifrost and picking up a Gungnir/Statement, NAD M51, Anedio D1 or Matrix X-Sabre.

Release some specs already guys! At least reassure me that I can wait X number of months and I can stick with Schiit :)

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #1,957 of 13,350
Quote:
I want to see some DAC specs already! I do realize its unfair to whine about it.

How is the Gungnir compared to Bifrost? The Bifrost is bottlenecking my current setup and I'm looking to upgrade the DAC soon. It isn't awful, the Bifrost is a really nice DAC -- do not get me wrong, but it is noticeable. I don't have access to a Gungnir to test, but I'm considering selling the Bifrost and picking up a Gungnir/Statement, NAD M51, Anedio D1 or Matrix X-Sabre.

Release some specs already guys! At least reassure me that I can wait X number of months and I can stick with Schiit
smily_headphones1.gif

When I upgraded to the Gungnir from my Bifrost, I noticed a fairly sizeable increase in sound quality. It was definitely worth the purchase for me :)

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #1,958 of 13,350
Quote:
When I upgraded to the Gungnir from my Bifrost, I noticed a fairly sizeable increase in sound quality. It was definitely worth the purchase for me :)

I have the Bifrost now and looking at the Gungnir. But one of the things that have become painfully obvious is that some of my source songs are, well, poorly recorded. I play Apple lossless versions and am puzzled by the variability in the source material. The orthos really show up shortcomings in the source recordings. I quite don't know how "upgrading" to the Gungnir will help. Ideas anyone ?

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,960 of 13,350
Congrats.  The Asgard 1 is a wonderful amp.

Quote:
Guess I gotta report in now, posting while listening to my "new" Asgard 1 I bought off another headfier for decently close to the price of a new Magni w/ shipping.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,962 of 13,350
Quote:
I have the Bifrost now and looking at the Gungnir. But one of the things that have become painfully obvious is that some of my source songs are, well, poorly recorded. I play Apple lossless versions and am puzzled by the variability in the source material. The orthos really show up shortcomings in the source recordings. I quite don't know how "upgrading" to the Gungnir will help. Ideas anyone ?

Koth, when I went from the Bifrost/Lyr to Bifrost/Mjolnir (with Audezes,) I suddenly noticed "issues" with a bunch of recordings. The unpleasantness disappeared when the Gungnir  was installed. The difference wasn't subtle; in fact I sold the Bifrost. The Gungnir also feeds the speakers system (gotta love having three outputs,) and has really opened up the soundstage and made even small details easily discernible. My advice would be to get the Gungnir if you can stretch your budget. It's a notably superior component in every way. Of course, I'm still waiting for the statement DAC and amps.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #1,963 of 13,350
Quote:
Nice!  What are you using for cans?

Bought em for the HE-400s I received a week and a half ago and which I'm using now, heard they paired well and I saw a good deal on the table so I went with the Schiit. Lovely piece of gear btw, sounds great to my moderately-refined ears and this thing's industrial design looks pretty amazing.

Any rig I use is pretty much my computer rig, so I'm still using my old Hot Audio DAC Straight as the DAC with the Schiit in place of the another headfier built SSMH I was using before. Planning to upgrade that in the future though, looking at everything from the ODAC to the Dacport LX or maybe even the Modi.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #1,964 of 13,350
Quote:

Koth, when I went from the Bifrost/Lyr to Bifrost/Mjolnir (with Audezes,) I suddenly noticed "issues" with a bunch of recordings. The unpleasantness disappeared when the Gungnir  was installed. The difference wasn't subtle; in fact I sold the Bifrost. The Gungnir also feeds the speakers system (gotta love having three outputs,) and has really opened up the soundstage and made even small details easily discernible. My advice would be to get the Gungnir if you can stretch your budget. It's a notably superior component in every way. Of course, I'm still waiting for the statement DAC and amps.

Thanks for the response. And I see where this is going as well. If I get the Gungnir, then the Lyr won't make much sense, would it ? I would have to get the Mjolnir or some other balanced DAC/Amp combo.. If I do this, I will then have a dac/amp for every one in my family, including my daughter's pet dog
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back