Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 20, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,936 of 13,350
Quote:
Socket Savers can make it easier to instal your tubes.  they also raise the tubes a bit out of the chassis so temps will lower a bit.  Not that you have to worry about high temps, but lower is always better IMHO.

Plus, they look bitchin'!  
cool.gif

These ones are inexpensive too:

http://tubedepot.com/sk-9svr.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I had been considering buying some and I agree they look pretty cool (spotted a pic of your Lyr in a tube photo thread).

I took a look at tubedepot and although they are very cheap, shipping to the UK is $30!!!!

I'm not sure about the codes / reference no's the seller mentions but I this looks to be the same one (I think?) and shipping is cheaper:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-PIN-SOCKET-SAVER-Ships-USA-12AX7-12AT7-12AU7-EL84-12BH7-/400419755566?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D7091505783400169134%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D400419755566%26

I also spotted some Novib Socket Savers ($15 with minor cosmetic blemishes) that have an anti-vibration feature and claim to have sturdier gold pins. If you've tried both do you feel it would be worth spending a bit more or do the cheaper ones work just as well?

One final question (I promise it'll be my last for a while!) which I've been unable to find an answer to whilst searching or looking on youtube. The Schiit manual is a bit vague in terms of how to install tubes and basically says line them up and push down gently until seated. I felt I need to use a fair amount of pressure to get them in, not quite brute force but definitely on the firmer side of gentle, and stopped as soon as the tubes felt secure and weren't prone to wobble or popping out. Looking through the vent on the right side of the amp I can see a visible gap between the porcelain holder and the bottom of the tube, with approx. 4-5mm of the metal pins still visible. I'm assuming this is how they're meant to sit and I don't need to push down any further?

Thanks in advance and I really do appreciate all the help you've given me
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,937 of 13,350
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I had been considering buying some and I agree they look pretty cool (spotted a pic of your Lyr in a tube photo thread).

I took a look at tubedepot and although they are very cheap, shipping to the UK is $30!!!!

I'm not sure about the codes / reference no's the seller mentions but I this looks to be the same one (I think?) and shipping is cheaper:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-PIN-SOCKET-SAVER-Ships-USA-12AX7-12AT7-12AU7-EL84-12BH7-/400419755566?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D7091505783400169134%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D400419755566%26

I also spotted some Novib Socket Savers ($15 with minor cosmetic blemishes) that have an anti-vibration feature and claim to have sturdier gold pins. If you've tried both do you feel it would be worth spending a bit more or do the cheaper ones work just as well?

One final question (I promise it'll be my last for a while!) which I've been unable to find an answer to whilst searching or looking on youtube. The Schiit manual is a bit vague in terms of how to install tubes and basically says line them up and push down gently until seated. I felt I need to use a fair amount of pressure to get them in, not quite brute force but definitely on the firmer side of gentle, and stopped as soon as the tubes felt secure and weren't prone to wobble or popping out. Looking through the vent on the right side of the amp I can see a visible gap between the porcelain holder and the bottom of the tube, with approx. 4-5mm of the metal pins still visible. I'm assuming this is how they're meant to sit and I don't need to push down any further?

Thanks in advance and I really do appreciate all the help you've given me
smily_headphones1.gif

The ones on eBay that you linked to should do fine, in fact, they should all be pretty much functionally identical.

I have the Novib ones installed, but I've never compared them to any others.  But I've read other members stories and I have no reason to think that it's really critical either way which one you use.  

The Novib ones have silicone dampening of some kind, I can't say for sure if it's effective or not.  I haven't had any problems with microphonics, so maybe it's because I use those socket savers, maybe it's because I use tube dampeners, and maybe I've just been lucky.

When a tube is properly installed you shouldn't see any portion of the pins.  The base of the tube should be resting on the socket. So I'd have to say that your tubes are only partially installed.  

The important thing to remember is to be firm, and try to maintain pressure straight down to avoid bending anything.  Life will be easier if you install socket savers.  I also use a bit of Deoxit on each of the pins, and that provides a bit of lubricant.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #1,938 of 13,350
Quote:

The ones on eBay that you linked to should do fine, in fact, they should all be pretty much functionally identical.

I have the Novib ones installed, but I've never compared them to any others.  But I've read other members stories and I have no reason to think that it's really critical either way which one you use.  

The Novib ones have silicone dampening of some kind, I can't say for sure if it's effective or not.  I haven't had any problems with microphonics, so maybe it's because I use those socket savers, maybe it's because I use tube dampeners, and maybe I've just been lucky.

When a tube is properly installed you shouldn't see any portion of the pins.  The base of the tube should be resting on the socket. So I'd have to say that your tubes are only partially installed.  

The important thing to remember is to be firm, and try to maintain pressure straight down to avoid bending anything.  Life will be easier if you install socket savers.  I also use a bit of Deoxit on each of the pins, and that provides a bit of lubricant.

Thanks for the very quick and clear reply. I'd assumed you guys would all still be in bed at this time on a Saturday morning!

I think I may as well go for the Novibs. There's not a huge difference (after I factor in shipping) for something that potentially offers a bit more longevity etc. Compared to some tube prices they look a bit of a steal!!!

I really didn't want to force the tubes in too much without getting a second opinion first, in case I was going to do some lasting damage. I did what you suggested and they're now properly seated. Although I maintained a constant downward pressure they did feel a bit notchy but I did notice the metal pins looked very slightly cloudy in places, so maybe they were chafing a bit. 

Thanks for the tip re. Deoxit. I was wondering what I could use on the pins so that sounds perfect.

Cheers again!

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,939 of 13,350
So, after reading this thread and the fantastic customer service from Schiit, I ordered a Magni on Friday, says it will be delivered this Thursday and cant wait. I will be using it with a pair of AKG Q701 which should arrive this week (gift from my new wife as I got married Friday) I will be using an ipod 5Th gen with rockbox on it I will be ordering a Modi in a couple of weeks and was wondering the best way to connect the ipod to the Magni until I get the Modi.

Thanks

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #1,940 of 13,350
Gasing so badly to upgrade my Lyr right now haha. Although the statement amp is not released, does anyone have a price range for this amp? What I want to know is if the product could possibly be below $1700

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,944 of 13,350
Quote:
Upgrading to the lyr from asgard2 hope it's worth the cost any opinions

I can't comment on the Asgard 2, but I'm really liking my Lyr with my HD600s so far.  I only have about 14 hours on it, so the tubes may sound different with more time on them.  It can also push my AKG Sextetts very well also.  I just haven't spent a lot of time with that pairing yet.

The type of cans you have will play a big part in whether or not the upgrade is worthwhile.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #1,945 of 13,350
Quote:
Upgrading to the lyr from asgard2 hope it's worth the cost any opinions

I went from the A2 back to the lyr. There is a definite "upgrade" here. There is a reason that the lyr cost almost 2x that of the A2. The A2 is certainly a good amp and is very versatile with the gain switch and pre-outs. But it's not a lyr killer...nor was it intended to be. The lyr is just  brilliant with hard to drive phones. I'm currently using it with the hd650 and  maddogs and couldn't be happier. 

You'll have to roll tubes if you want the best from the lyr, but that's part of the fun. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,950 of 13,350
Quote:

I thought the latest rumors put it a little north of that. I believe the amplifier is done at this point, they're just waiting to finalize the DAC. 

$1500-ish. And still, that's subject to change, possibly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back