Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #1,171 of 13,350
Most NOS tubes are burned in by 30 hours.  Some quicker, some longer.  But, most are stable by 30 hours.  Yes, let the tubes warm up for stability and better sound.  There's not much risk in turning them on and off in a short period, but I don't do it just because I'm pretty anal about things.

As far as rolling options, after you start with the stock GE, your next attempt should be the Sylvania 6DJ8.  Those are great tubes that sound nearly as good as the ultra expensive and rare birds.

Quote:
  To all you glass tube addicts out there:

Well, I will begin with Jason's succinct recommendation first, the NOS GE's that come as one of the options, to establish a  "baseline" sound signature through my equipment/ears/brain, and then attempt to compare that with what I read/gleen from the tube rolling thread, and hopefully draw some reasonable conclusions regarding what I might like to hear next...though without even hearing a single tube yet, those orange Amperex tubes seem to be singing like Rhinemaidens...

Being a newbie tubie: 

(1) When should I expect these NOS tubes to be broken in? 
(2) During normal usage, do these tubes need some warm-up time prior to listening, either for the ultimate health of the tube, or for the sound qualities to be maximized?

Thank you.
Sincerely,
T.A.Kogstrom

P.S.  I contacted Schiit Audio around 2:00 P.M. on Monday, received Jason's tube recommendation within an hour, ordered within the next hour, and by 8 or 9 P last evening received an e-mail indicating they had shipped!...maybe my requesting tube advice and selecting 2nd day delivery convinced them that I was hooked...lol...(I AM impressed with their promptness!)  

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,172 of 13,350
  Dear fellow valvophiles:

Thank you for your assistance/advice and camraderie, I will apply your advice and hopefully make more good than poor choices...however, in retrospect, just having the opportunity to explore this is its own pleasure, may none of us get so lost in the mechanics that we lose sight of why we ultimately pursue this hobby...lol...

Peace,
T.A. Kogstrom

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,173 of 13,350
Man, Kogstrom, why do you have to write so well? And get so good answers as well. Now I'm feeling an itch to buy a Lyr and start tube rolling, even though I have a Mjolnir driving a pair of Denons and waiting for the statement DAC with a hole in my wallet. See, it makes no sense at all, still I feel this inexplicable need...

Good luck among the tubes, fellow Schiitfans :)
// O8h7w

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,174 of 13,350
Got my Bifrost (and Pyst) yesterday, and am loving the sound so far! I'm about 16 or so hours in. A definite improvement over the uDac-2 I was using previously, and I finally get to use the optical cable I bought well over a year ago as a commitment to buy the Bifrost.

I've got the GE's and the 6N1P, so I'll be rolling tubes in the Lyr tonight.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #1,175 of 13,350
can anyone explain this?

The only active devices in the audio signal path in Valhalla are tubes. The 6N1P triodes input provides linear, low noise voltage gain. The 6N6P triodes provide good power output capability for a wide variety of high-impedance headphones (though, if you're looking at orthos, check Mjolnir, Lyr and Asgard instead.)

Is this mean Valhalla is not good for ortho headphone or can not drive ortho headphone?

Thanks

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #1,176 of 13,350
Quote:
can anyone explain this?

The only active devices in the audio signal path in Valhalla are tubes. The 6N1P triodes input provides linear, low noise voltage gain. The 6N6P triodes provide good power output capability for a wide variety of high-impedance headphones (though, if you're looking at orthos, check Mjolnir, Lyr and Asgard instead.)

Is this mean Valhalla is not good for ortho headphone or can not drive ortho headphone?

Thanks

I have not tried it, but you are correct, their recommendation is to not use the Valhalla with orthos.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #1,177 of 13,350
  Dear O8h7w:

Lol...My father, (a first generation Amercian of Swedish parents who emigrated from "The Old Country" to America almost a hundred years ago), often used the expression, "you attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"...lol...I know, strange expresion coming from an engineer son of an stern, Swedish, engineer father, but maybe the Florida climate thawed him out a bit 
bigsmile_face.gif
    In any event, good to hear from someone WAY up north...and wonder if my last name is the least bit common up that-a-way...(about 40 years ago I know I had some 2nd cousins living up there),...oh, but, you can keep the lutefisk, thank you very much...lol...)

Peace/Namaste,
T.A.Kogstrom

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #1,178 of 13,350
Quote:
  Dear O8h7w:

Lol...My father, (a first generation Amercian of Swedish parents who emigrated from "The Old Country" to America almost a hundred years ago), often used the expression, "you attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"...lol...I know, strange expresion coming from an engineer son of an stern, Swedish, engineer father, but maybe the Florida climate thawed him out a bit 
bigsmile_face.gif
    In any event, good to hear from someone WAY up north...and wonder if my last name is the least bit common up that-a-way...(about 40 years ago I know I had some 2nd cousins living up there),...oh, but, you can keep the lutefisk, thank you very much...lol...)

Peace/Namaste,
T.A.Kogstrom

Unrelated to the contents of your post, but I can tell I've been programming too long when the first thing I notice about this post is the mismatched ()s.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #1,183 of 13,350
.tube_bummer element.burnt_out li a hover.sad {
    smoke: #000000;
    glow: negative;
    dollar-value: zip;
    wife: maniac;
    leaves: rake;
    flowers: purchase;
}

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #1,184 of 13,350
Quote:
can anyone explain this?

Thanks

I listen through a Valhalla with LCD2 'phones ... That's their recommendation for "ideal" per their specs and ears, and experience.

Someone was very pleased with their setup last week - was that you? I would re-read those posts, don't panic, see if your rig now sounds lousy just because you've read something online about it.

Do I have a better rig for orthos? Yes of course ... I wondered too about their recommendation, emailed a bit with them to discuss it ---- Long-story-short, ultimately decided to trust my ears. (I've also changed tubes, which made the amp sound better to me)

Jason (at Schitt) said that Distortion would be the main symptom of "mismatch" between Valhalla and LCD2 (I paraphrase). Since I don't detect a problem, I don't have a problem.

I went as far as trying a Lyr, for over a month as I recall (?) ... but never heard something "better" from it, so I stuck with the Valhalla. Your mileage may vary. 
smile_phones.gif

beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,185 of 13,350
Quote:

I listen through a Valhalla with LCD2 'phones ... That's their recommendation for "ideal" per their specs and ears, and experience.

Someone was very pleased with their setup last week - was that you? I would re-read those posts, don't panic, see if your rig now sounds lousy just because you've read something online about it.

Do I have a better rig for orthos? Yes of course ... I wondered too about their recommendation, emailed a bit with them to discuss it ---- Long-story-short, ultimately decided to trust my ears. (I've also changed tubes, which made the amp sound better to me)

Jason (at Schitt) said that Distortion would be the main symptom of "mismatch" between Valhalla and LCD2 (I paraphrase). Since I don't detect a problem, I don't have a problem.

I went as far as trying a Lyr, for over a month as I recall (?) ... but never heard something "better" from it, so I stuck with the Valhalla. Your mileage may vary. 
smile_phones.gif

beerchug.gif

Yes I totally agree with you 100%.  I even send Jason (at Schitt), he wouldn't recommand it.  Yes, it's their recommandation.  I'm also go far as ordering lyr.  Sometimes, human's mind just go hay wired over someone else's opinion.  Specially I'm totally new with tubbing stuff, I can't rely on my experience.
Anyways, Thanks

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back