Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 18, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #1,052 of 13,350
I thought I would contribute to this thread as Ive been using a Singlepower MPX3 Slam for the past 6 or so years happily but have just taken possession of a Mjolnir and noticed there were not really any comparisons on Headfi.

Ive only had it for a day or so however its already blowing me away with the LCD-2's. The detail and staging compared to the MPX3 is obvious, I hesitate to say much more at the moment however these cans are clearly receiving enough power to show how good they are. I'm using a DA100 currently which seems perfectly adequate however I think the Gunghir isn't too far away based on this amp. I had been quietly disappointed with the centre staging of the LCD2's with the MPX3, the Mjolnir really brings it all front and centre. Gorgeous. also the vertical has opened up well, I felt like the sound was along a flat wide line before.

Anyway this is really for anyone using LCD-2's on an OTL tube amp who is interested in the Mjolnir, hope its helpful. I'm sure the sound will change as time goes on. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #1,054 of 13,350
I thought I would contribute to this thread as Ive been using a Singlepower MPX3 Slam for the past 6 or so years happily but have just taken possession of a Mjolnir and noticed there were not really any comparisons on Headfi.

Ive only had it for a day or so however its already blowing me away with the LCD-2's. The detail and staging compared to the MPX3 is obvious, I hesitate to say much more at the moment however these cans are clearly receiving enough power to show how good they are. I'm using a DA100 currently which seems perfectly adequate however I think the Gunghir isn't too far away based on this amp. I had been quietly disappointed with the centre staging of the LCD2's with the MPX3, the Mjolnir really brings it all front and centre. Gorgeous. also the vertical has opened up well, I felt like the sound was along a flat wide line before.

Anyway this is really for anyone using LCD-2's on an OTL tube amp who is interested in the Mjolnir, hope its helpful. I'm sure the sound will change as time goes on. 

Congrats on the Mjolnir. It's amazing on how much it opens up the LCD-2, isn't it? I've never heard the DA100, but the Gungnir is perfectly matched to the Mjolnir and the resolution and transparency is impressive. I feel like the M+G were made for the LCD-2 because the synergy is so good.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #1,055 of 13,350
Another new Schiit head here! Just got my Magni yesterday. I've been using my HD 600's unamped for 8 or 9 years, boy was I dumb :)

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #1,057 of 13,350
I am looking at buying the Asgard and Senn 600, I want to pair them with a good CD player. I'm leaning towards the Cambridge Audio Azur 351C. I listen mostly to Classic chamber music, small combo jazz (1950's cool jazz) and female vocals with small ensemble backing. Anyone with comments with this combination for this music. Thanks

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #1,058 of 13,350
Unless space is an issue, I would recommend using any CD player with digital output as a transport and picking up a Bifrost or Modi to be the DAC. The Cambridge players have aging DACs that aren't really up to modern standards anymore. You can find 'transport-only' players like my Rotel RDD-980 that feature a quality mechanism that are up there in years, but still functioning perfectly for not a lot of money. I paid $150 for mine on Audiogon and it works as good as new.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #1,059 of 13,350
Cambridge and Schiit use DACs from 2008.  If one is aging so is the other :wink:  At that price point separating the transport and dac makes no sense unless your PC is the transport.  The suggestion of used is good though.  A used CDP in the Cambridge range will buy more digital goodness. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,060 of 13,350
Took some pictures of the gear the other day. I'll get another picture with everything together one of these days! 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #1,061 of 13,350
Add me to the Schiit pile of owners here.

Have a Magni
Modi should be here with the Pyst cables Middle of this week.
My Asgard is on back order put should be here Feb 6th??
Debating whether I should get the Bifrost for the Asgard in the Living room (for the optical/SPDIF)...

Any one here using Modi or other USB Schiit Dac with an andriod tablet?  Not sure if it works.  I will be trying it out to see if it does. (Asus Tranformer Infinity with or without dock).

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,065 of 13,350
Quote:
Beautiful shot man!!

Thanks.
I'm an unrepentant showoff.  In fact I may have already posted that image here.

I liked jontron's selective focus in soft B&W.  Very mellow.

I love photography.
http://adufus.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back