Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #1,082 of 13,350
I use it strapped to my iPod Classic.  Great combo. 

Quote:
RE: filo products. Do you find that you listen to your E11 straped to a mobile phone or Ipod?

If I get the Schiit (I just love how that sounds)-and want to think about a DAC, I might go w/ a E17 for mobility and the DAC ability. Do you think there is an advantage to having a designated DAC vs something like an E17 that kills multiple birds w/ one stone?

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,083 of 13,350
im happy to say that i'll soon be someone who'll be a part of this schiit owners club :D definitely looking forward to the anticipations of the lyr + bitfrost combination. I hope it lives up to my expectations just as it did with everybody else.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #1,084 of 13,350
Quote:
I think I remember reading somewhere that Jason said that him and his audiophile club had a dac shootout when he first was building the bifrost. Everyone brought their dacs and they all voted on which everyone preferred and the bifrost ended up winning, beating out everything including very expensive dacs. I also remember him saying this was before he had the gungnir developed.

Correct. I'll try to recall where this was said. I believe it was the Gungnir thread.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #1,085 of 13,350
Just wondering, what program do you guys use for listening to music? Foobar? Winamp? VLC?

Also, do you guys use on Windows 7,  ASIO or just the windows  sound codec?

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,086 of 13,350
Quote:
If I get the Schiit (I just love how that sounds)-and want to think about a DAC, I might go w/ a E17 for mobility and the DAC ability. Do you think there is an advantage to having a designated DAC vs something like an E17 that kills multiple birds w/ one stone?

Hi, for what it's worth, I've been using the E17 with 3 different rigs - a Schitt Valhalla amp, a Woo WA6-SE amp, and occasionally mobile paired with an iPod Touch. While I'd like to have a dedicated DAC with each component ... eventually ... in the meantime while I "shop around" and research DACs, the E17 has worked perfectly* well for me (multiple birds w/one stone).

* full disclosure: I'm in the process of returning the E17 (for a replacement under warranty) because the 1/8" Aux Input jack is "intermittent" -- exactly the thing which having a "dedicated" setup would prevent (eliminating daily, multiple daily cord-changes, pocket-use, etc. wearing out the jack).

I simply love the features of the E17. (the reason I don't have a Bifrost under the Valhalla ... it's been a case of "if it ain't broke ... ")  

So to directly answer your last question: There may be a reason that having dedicated DACs is advantageous (like, the jacks wont wear out) ... but you can also see by my example that one can get by happily using the "portable" (E17) with multiple rigs -- (I take responsibility for the jack intermittence, as it's fallen many times onto a carpeted floor with cords in, etc. and been in a few pocket situations.)

Hope that helps a little bit. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #1,087 of 13,350
I was VERY wrong. Haha.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,088 of 13,350
Quote:

Hi, for what it's worth, I've been using the E17 with 3 different rigs - a Schitt Valhalla amp, a Woo WA6-SE amp, and occasionally mobile paired with an iPod Touch. While I'd like to have a dedicated DAC with each component ... eventually ... in the meantime while I "shop around" and research DACs, the E17 has worked perfectly* well for me (multiple birds w/one stone).

* full disclosure: I'm in the process of returning the E17 (for a replacement under warranty) because the 1/8" Aux Input jack is "intermittent" -- exactly the thing which having a "dedicated" setup would prevent (eliminating daily, multiple daily cord-changes, pocket-use, etc. wearing out the jack).

I simply love the features of the E17. (the reason I don't have a Bifrost under the Valhalla ... it's been a case of "if it ain't broke ... ")  

So to directly answer your last question: There may be a reason that having dedicated DACs is advantageous (like, the jacks wont wear out) ... but you can also see by my example that one can get by happily using the "portable" (E17) with multiple rigs -- (I take responsibility for the jack intermittence, as it's fallen many times onto a carpeted floor with cords in, etc. and been in a few pocket situations.)

Hope that helps a little bit. 
beerchug.gif

OK,
Since we are talking about this little E17 widget my interest was peaked as to the mobile aspect.  I RTFM and saw where the diagrams for  Optical/COAX S/PDIF and USB only apply to tethered applications.. A Laptop, A Dock, A DVD Player.  When the diagram showed an iPhone / iPod  it said "Aux".

http://www.fiio.com.cn/UploadFiles/main/Images/2012/12/20121210151457.pdf

Correct me here people.  "Aux" is not a DAC interface, so my assumption is that in mobile iAnything mode the E17 is only an AMP.
Am I wrong?  I don't do Android.  Do their devices have optical S/PDIF out?

I think it would be a cool device if you could clock an iPhone 96kHz  but I can't see where that can happens.  If that's true I can't see it's value in an E17 tethered system.  I'd get the basic  Fiio portable amp only for out and about.  And something like a Magni/Modi for the tethered setup.  That would be a go value startup kit.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,090 of 13,350
Just wondering, what program do you guys use for listening to music? Foobar? Winamp? VLC?

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,091 of 13,350
Quote:
What are they working on next? DSD DAC/Amp combo would be nice.

The statement gear, which there have been a few posts about recently.

Quote:

foobar2000 through default Windows 7 primary sound driver in 24 bit mode for me.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,093 of 13,350
There have been numerous double blind tests, and no one taking them could tell apart WASAPI and the Windows mixer.  Don't worry so much about it.  Plus, if you use iTunes, you no longer have control over it and can't get to WASAPI.

Quote:

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #1,094 of 13,350
JRiver, WASAPI-Event Style... NON EXCLUSIVE because a lot of my listening is during other things :wink:  For reviews and A/B I go exclusive but otherwise, don't care enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back