Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,066 of 13,350
I'm shopping for my 1st amp and am thinking about the Asgard. Was toying with the Fiio 17 and Little Dot 1+ for my new Grado cans. But, after all the fanfare of Schiit and the stunning reviews, I'm willing to spend the extra what-100 bucks or so if it's that good for my 1st amp and get something that clearly has quality. Am I crazy?

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #1,068 of 13,350
While this is not the exact comparison you're looking for, I have both the Asgard and the Fiio E11. The Asgard is noticeably better. More meat on the bones, more fluid, and bigger soundstage. Also, I am quite happy with my little Fiio, but the Asgard is just better.

I'm shopping for my 1st amp and am thinking about the Asgard. Was toying with the Fiio 17 and Little Dot 1+ for my new Grado cans. But, after all the fanfare of Schiit and the stunning reviews, I'm willing to spend the extra what-100 bucks or so if it's that good for my 1st amp and get something that clearly has quality. Am I crazy?

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,069 of 13,350
Quote:

Nope I own one  and have never regretted buying it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,070 of 13,350
Quote:

Reviews from owners and product review blogs, for Schiit products...amplifiers, from the Magni, Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, Mjolnir are very good.  There are various dedicated Schiit product threads with lots of Head-Fiers posting on them.  Very few folks have made negative comments that I have seen.

There is a lot of brand loyalty.   Jason Stoddard, one of the founding partners has personally answer my emails and those from other Head-Fiers.  In fact, if you fill out the question form on the Schiit web site, chances are he will be the one to respond.  (His answers are direct and brief… few words) 

Jason reads the threads, post when necessary and goes to great lengths to support and inform Schiit customers and prospective customers.  A lot has been written about how great Schiit customer service is.

I have a Lyr and I love it.  From what I've read about the Asgard, I think you will enjoy it very much.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,071 of 13,350
Quote:
While this is not the exact comparison you're looking for, I have both the Asgard and the Fiio E11. The Asgard is noticeably better. More meat on the bones, more fluid, and bigger soundstage. Also, I am quite happy with my little Fiio, but the Asgard is just better.

No, that's actually interesting and helpful.

So, yeah-I'm a total newbie-it's my 1st amp and I'm going to get one, try it for a while and then see if I want a second (the two choices being a dedicated desk amp vs a portable). Since I listen to both my Ipod while doing things in the house and in a computer room with fixed audio-I can see eventually one would want both. I'm guessing this is similar for a lot of people.

So, I could go with either. Question is which one will be most practical initially......
I'm thinking I'll get the designated amp first w/ arguably better sound. OTH-the Fiio stuff has some real plus sides-mobility, DAC option with the 17 and so on. So, I thought I'd solicit some feedback from the voice (es) of experience :)

Much Apprec-Mark

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,072 of 13,350
Hey fellow Schiit owners,

Just wondering in Head-Fi, do we have a dedicated thread for the Bifrost? I've searched for it but have found nothing.

Thanks..

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #1,073 of 13,350
Quote:
Hey fellow Schiit owners,

Just wondering in Head-Fi, do we have a dedicated thread for the Bifrost? I've searched for it but have found nothing.

Thanks..

Not dedicated exactly.

There's this. Which is DEAD. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #1,074 of 13,350
Quote:
Not dedicated exactly.

There's this. Which is DEAD. 

Aw shucks... Was looking forward to buying it so it can stack proportionally with the Asgard (although there is a chance I'll just buy an ODAC).
Already read reviews but still need more user impressions. Thanks for providing the thread even though its dead, I'll just read impressions from there.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #1,075 of 13,350
Quote:

Aw shucks... Was looking forward to buying it so it can stack proportionally with the Asgard (although there is a chance I'll just buy an ODAC).
Already read reviews but still need more user impressions. Thanks for providing the thread even though its dead, I'll just read impressions from there.

For some reason it seems like Bifrost discussion just wanders around between the various Schiit threads.

If it helps any I like mine a lot with the Asgard, and part of that is because of how nicely they stack 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,076 of 13,350
Quote:
Another new Schiit head here! Just got my Magni yesterday. I've been using my HD 600's unamped for 8 or 9 years, boy was I dumb :)

Got my Magna about a month ago. I.m hearing my AKG K340 electostatics for the first time in 25 years. Now thats dumber than dumb.The little guy even found some nice bass that was always missing. Of my five headphones I can't seem to put down the AKGs now with the Magna.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,077 of 13,350
Quote:

RE: filo products. Do you find that you listen to your E11 straped to a mobile phone or Ipod?

If I get the Schiit (I just love how that sounds)-and want to think about a DAC, I might go w/ a E17 for mobility and the DAC ability. Do you think there is an advantage to having a designated DAC vs something like an E17 that kills multiple birds w/ one stone?

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #1,078 of 13,350
Quote:
Reviews from owners and product review blogs, for Schiit products...amplifiers, from the Magni, Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, Mjolnir are very good.  There are various dedicated Schiit product threads with lots of Head-Fiers posting on them.  Very few folks have made negative comments that I have seen.

There is a lot of brand loyalty.   Jason Stoddard, one of the founding partners has personally answer my emails and those from other Head-Fiers.  In fact, if you fill out the question form on the Schiit web site, chances are he will be the one to respond.  (His answers are direct and brief… few words) 

Jason reads the threads, post when necessary and goes to great lengths to support and inform Schiit customers and prospective customers.  A lot has been written about how great Schiit customer service is.

I have a Lyr and I love it.  From what I've read about the Asgard, I think you will enjoy it very much.

Cool. That's my sense as well. Thx.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,079 of 13,350
For some reason it seems like Bifrost discussion just wanders around between the various Schiit threads.

If it helps any I like mine a lot with the Asgard, and part of that is because of how nicely they stack 
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I remember reading somewhere that Jason said that him and his audiophile club had a dac shootout when he first was building the bifrost. Everyone brought their dacs and they all voted on which everyone preferred and the bifrost ended up winning, beating out everything including very expensive dacs. I also remember him saying this was before he had the gungnir developed.

I hope I got this right. I can't seem to find a link, but if Jason sees this maybe he can correct me.

Edit: or I've just made up this whole scenario in my head lol either way I hope somebuddy confirms or corrects me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back