Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #483 of 13,350
Advice Wanted: Just bought Lyr from a member.

Pretty excited, especially since it comes with some extra tubes.  But, I overspent on my amp budget by about $100.  I was going to get the HiFiMan HE400, but now, I'd like to find out if I can spend $300 on some cans rather than $400.

So, here are my questions:
Any recommendation for $300 cans to use with the Lyr?
At $400, are the HE400's the best bet? Or are there other cans I should look at?

FYI, I listen to a wide variety of music... Here is my current preference: country (old country and bluegrass), female vocals with heavy bass in the background (eg. Dido or Lana Del Rey), lounge with vocals (Pink Martini), rap (Jay-Z), Indian Punjabi music, and alternative/pop (AWOLNATION, Vampire Weekend).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #484 of 13,350
Need help building my schiit.
 I just ordered a V-Link II usb to s/pdif converter and plan to get a Bifrost soon.I ordered the V-Link for several reasons;
-distance from my pc server to my desktop system is about 12 feet and I was thinking that was too far for a usb cable
- I just ordered a nice long rca s/pdif cable form Blue Jeans Cables

Will it be better to keep the V-Link and use it with the
Bifrost or send the V-Link back for credit and order the Bifrost with USB?

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #485 of 13,350
Quote:

Pretty excited, especially since it comes with some extra tubes.  But, I overspent on my amp budget by about $100.  I was going to get the HiFiMan HE400, but now, I'd like to find out if I can spend $300 on some cans rather than $400.

At $400, are the HE400's the best bet? Or are there other cans I should look at?

FYI, I listen to a wide variety of music... Here is my current preference: country (old country and bluegrass), female vocals with heavy bass in the background (eg. Dido or Lana Del Rey), lounge with vocals (Pink Martini), rap (Jay-Z), Indian Punjabi music, and alternative/pop (AWOLNATION, Vampire Weekend).

AKG K701 or used Sennheiser HD600/650 perhaps? When AB-ing with my Asgard I liked the K701s a lot more with the Lyr (tube rolling to tame the treble and add some bass). As for the Sennheisers, well, they are excellent with almost anything including the Asgard and Lyr.

I just ordered a V-Link II usb to s/pdif converter and plan to get a Bifrost soon.I ordered the V-Link for several reasons;
-distance from my pc server to my desktop system is about 12 feet and I was thinking that was too far for a usb cable

I have not tried the V-Link II, but I do know that the Bifrost's USB is quite good and 12 feet shouldn't be a problem for USB. Unfortunately, I sort of doubt you'll find anyone who's actually AB'd those two. What I can say is that for me I find it more convenient to have USB built in and not have to fuss with an extra converter. Also, Bifrost supports up to 24/192 over USB while the V-link appears to only do 24/96, so you'll need to decide if that's important to you or not (I don't have any music over 24/96, but you may).

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #486 of 13,350
Quote:
Quote:
I just ordered the Lyr yesterday. I think the extra power + line out is a perfect combination for my HE500 and my speaker system.
Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Lyr is not a good choice as a preamp

I beg to differ, the Lyr was a great tube stage/preamp for my speaker system. Added a lot of warmth and gain, had a pretty quiet background when I tried it.

Quote:

Agreed on the K701 recommendation, that was my favorite pairing with the Lyr. Give it a try if you get a chance.

Quote:

While it would be interesting to hear a comparison between the two, as said above if 192k is important to you the Vlink is out of the running.

edit: I enjoy the Vlink 192 with my Mini-i, but it's more expensive that the Schiit option. I should be able to make a comparison soon with the Gungnir...

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #487 of 13,350
Quote:

HE-400 is a fantastic deal for price and making the HP's like HD650, DT880, and K701 into a quartet, they pair very good with Lyr, I suggest you ask question's on http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/3660 before you make next move

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #488 of 13,350
I recently got Lyr + Bifrost combo and Lyr really gets hot when it is on for more than 30 mins... is it safe to stack Lyr on top of Bifrost?

Please suggest.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #489 of 13,350
No problem at all.. most of us with the combo do stack them.
Quote:
I recently got Lyr + Bifrost combo and Lyr really gets hot when it is on for more than 30 mins... is it safe to stack Lyr on top of Bifrost?

Please suggest.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #490 of 13,350
Quote:
No problem at all.. most of us with the combo do stack them.
Quote:

Please suggest.

Thanks for replay...

any suggestion to increase space between two when stacked?

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #491 of 13,350
Quote:
AKG K701 or used Sennheiser HD600/650 perhaps? When AB-ing with my Asgard I liked the K701s a lot more with the Lyr (tube rolling to tame the treble and add some bass). As for the Sennheisers, well, they are excellent with almost anything including the Asgard and Lyr.

Thank you.  That was very helpful.  Any advice on tubes?  I like a bit more bass as well.

Quote:

HE-400 is a fantastic deal for price and making the HP's like HD650, DT880, and K701 into a quartet, they pair very good with Lyr, I suggest you ask question's on http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/3660 before you make next move

Thanks.  will do.  What music do you listen to?  I'm starting to think that the kind of music people listen to heavily impacts their preference.

Quote:
Agreed on the K701 recommendation, that was my favorite pairing with the Lyr. Give it a try if you get a chance.

I live in Houston.  I don't know anywhere where I can audition any of these headphones.  So, I'm going to have to go by the reviews alone.  I looked at a lot of the 701 reviews and a few complain about an artificial feel in the vocals.  Will the Lyr's change that depending on the tubes used?  Thanks for the advice.  What music do you listen to?  I'm starting to think that the kind of music people listen to heavily impacts their preference.

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #492 of 13,350
While it didn't transform into a completely different headphone, the K701 did change personalities when plugged into the Lyr. It sounded fuller and more dynamic than with the other amps I had used/tried.

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #493 of 13,350
I just ordered the Lyr yesterday. I think the extra power + line out is a perfect combination for my HE500 and my speaker system.

Is it okay to ask what kind of speaker system you have? Just curious :)

Mine is Edifier S550. The LYR line out will go into my 2.1 input on the S550. For movies, it will be from my motherboard with Supreme FX III chipset.

What I love about the S550 is it got separate 2.1 and 5.1 input and we can switch between them via remote.

BTW what is your speaker system?

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #494 of 13,350
Quote:
Thank you.  That was very helpful.  Any advice on tubes?  I like a bit more bass as well.

It was actually dailydoseofdaly's Lyr that I got to listen to and I'm not sure what tubes they were (he's got a few sets). You might try shooting him a PM though if you don't want to wade through the whole tube-rolling thread.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #495 of 13,350
 I just use some sticky silicone feet that I got a local hardware store.  They're about 1/2" in diameter and about 1/4" thick.  Works perfectly for me.
Quote:

Thanks for replay...

any suggestion to increase space between two when stacked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back