Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #436 of 13,350
Quote:
is this Toslink (opticial) better than USB?  or same?

Thanks

There isn't a clear cut answer to this. Everyone's system is different, and toslink has its pro's and con's as does USB.
 If you're on PC I prefer coaxial. Mac toslink.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #437 of 13,350
As someone else said, it all depends on implementation.

In theory, coaxial has the lowest jitter, optical has more, and USB has the potential to have the highest. In reality, there is great variation and some people argue that we can't perceive large differences in jitter.

is this Toslink (opticial) better than USB?  or same?

Thanks

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #438 of 13,350
Thank you everyone for your input! 

darthsmile.gif
  Now i'm not afraid to get Bifrost!

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #439 of 13,350
Why does the Asgard have a 3.5mm headphone plug? How am I supposed to show off now? 6.35mm was the way to got coz it was big, professional and cool looking! ;@

But seriously WHY? I'd hate to use the 3.5mm cable now for my headphones..

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #440 of 13,350
Asgard has a 6.35mm plug. No 3.5mm.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #441 of 13,350
Asgard and my ortho work great :) just to throw it out there looking forward to my hd600 i love schiit awesome costumer service and great value products :)
And thanks to jason for helping me thru email i almost got instant response :)

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #442 of 13,350
I have had a Valhalla for a few months now and really enjoy it with Sennheiser 650s. Since it is a tube rolling model I decided to see what some tube rolling would do. I decided to go all out and got a pair of Golden Lion 6922s. The difference over the stock tubes is really to my liking. Much more open, a very 3 dimensional sound, a bit warmer and more detail. It made a great tube amp even better. Which is what I was hoping for. The GLs only have about 20hrs on them and they just keep sounding better and better.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #443 of 13,350
I've got the Bifrost & PYST incoming to complete my Schiit stack with the Lyr.  I've taken the round about route trying many different things along the way and hopefully this combo will be my end game for a while.  When I got serious about HeadFi about a year and a half ago I thought I'd be happy with an entry level system (HD600 & Matrix Mini-i), but what the hey, this is HeadFi, and the Schiit stack looks oh, so fine and I know it will sound as good! I love the authority the Lyr has with my HD700 and HE400. I'm sure I'll notch up the refinement with the Bifrost.
Will report back once I've had some time with it had have given it a chance to break in.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #444 of 13,350
The Bifrost is amazing. I recently had to live without it for a week. Filling in was my Fiio E10. Man, am I glad to get the Bifrost back! Obviously the Bifrost is a lot more $$, but seems you get what you pay for.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #445 of 13,350
The Bifrost has landed! Finally, have the Schiit stack (still waiting for the PSYT to land). Even after a couple of hours, it sounds well, hard to describe, very natural.  Different (and better) than anything I've had so far. Relaxed and easy going with Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, Norah Jones(vocal are rich and up front, sweet!), kicks butt when it has to (Madonna's Turn up the Radio, Black Eyed Peas) and rocks quite well with AC/DC. I do hear some micr-distortions and it could be fuller sounding but hopefully that will clean up once broken in.  I guess that it protrays the music as it should be.  Looking forward to listening to any changes as it breaks in.
Cables: Audioquest Cinnamon USB and Signal Cable Silver Silver Resolution between the Bifrost & Lyr.

BTW.. only tested it with the HD700 and any sharpness that I have been hearing has smoothed out a bit.. sound very 'musical' with the Bifrost (jazzy female vocal suff so far). So far, so good, very enjoyable, toe-tappingly good - going in the right direction. Is it really that much better that what I've been using? We'll see once it has some time to break in.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #446 of 13,350
Quote:
 I do hear some micr-distortions and it could be fuller sounding but hopefully that will clean up once broken in

It will, don't worry.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #448 of 13,350
Put Your Schiit Together (PYST) - http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=12 
Quote:
Sorry, what is a PSYT?

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #449 of 13,350
I posted, then thought I'd check out the schiit site. Answered my own question. 

That's new I guess. I've been looking for a set of short interconnects for the bifrost and valhalla. This is pretty convenient. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back