Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 3, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #13,276 of 13,350
I just won a Valhalla 2 on the eBay. I have a Vali 2, Jot 2, and Lyr 3. Recently got a Piety too.
Yeah, that's how it starts... OTL feaver... OCL delirium...
unnamed2.jpg

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #13,277 of 13,350
I just won a Valhalla 2 on the eBay. I have a Vali 2, Jot 2, and Lyr 3. Recently got a Piety too.
Depending on what headphones you have, you’re going to love it! I find that, outside of the normally touted high impedance cans, Valhalla 2 is wonderful with my DCA planars too - but not with really low (30s) impedance cans. Enjoy!

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #13,279 of 13,350
I found the non-woofers on my speakers are dead ;-(

I'm thinking of getting some Ohm Walsh and using my Vidar on them. Anyone done that?

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #13,281 of 13,350
I couldn’t justify spending the money on a Folkvangr. I’m sure it’s one hell of an amp though.
Folkvangr is very colored, it's not for every setup / taste. Versus Vallhalla, one can feel immediately the increase in control and more complex layering. But have no illusions, it's a "dirty" tube amp distorting "reality". Which is want one wants to take a break from the clean and sober solid state experience.

The good thing is that detail and separation, although definitely distorted, are very much vivid and encompassing. What most impressed me is the nice punchy sound and vivid, complex layering in all dimensions. I was impressed by how Valhalla is also very punchy. Folkvangr takes the presentation experience on a whole other level tho.

Purists, that do not like to transcend into impressionistic highs, need not apply.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #13,282 of 13,350
Just got a Valhalla 2 to replace my Magni 3+. Does anyone still use their SS amp for mundane things like listening to YouTube, podcasts etc. If so, how? Would just using a 1 male to 2 male RCA cable do ok without messing with the sound?

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #13,285 of 13,350
Hey

Im about to order the rag online. Its by bank transfer on schiit europe. The benificiary is called stitching mollie payments - I just wanna be sure its not a scam before i order. Anyone know if this is legit?

Paddy

Mar 31, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #13,286 of 13,350
Hey

Im about to order the rag online. Its by bank transfer on schiit europe. The benificiary is called stitching mollie payments - I just wanna be sure its not a scam before i order. Anyone know if this is legit?

Paddy
if you are checking out on the schiit Europe website they give the options for checkout. They are all legit.
Screenshot_20230331_073157_Firefox.jpg

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #13,287 of 13,350
Funny fact about my Schiit, I found Valhalla power on led is on even when it's off, Folkvangr doesn't have one, in fact it has 10 power on light bulbs.

1675618038389.jpg
Are you sure it's just not slooowly going out? The V2 has a sizable cap bank and the power LED does take a noticeable amount of time to extinguish. With the power switch off and mains disconnected it should eventually extinguish. If you plug the power cord back in with the power switch off, is the LED on?

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #13,288 of 13,350
Hey guys. First time on this thread and it's been a few years since I was on headfi until recently. My main setup is yggy with wa5 (hd800 LCD xc wood cups) ...... but I just bought a rag 2 yesterday.

Do you think there's any need for going balanced with hd800 / rag2? I'm thinking the single ended would be enough. It states 750mw into 300 ohms but on the higher gains does this go up?

Also for the LCD xc at 20 ohms which setting would you guys recommend and is there any need for balanced being that this headphone is easy to drive?

Thanks

Apr 1, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #13,289 of 13,350
Hey guys. First time on this thread and it's been a few years since I was on headfi until recently. My main setup is yggy with wa5 (hd800 LCD xc wood cups) ...... but I just bought a rag 2 yesterday.

Do you think there's any need for going balanced with hd800 / rag2? I'm thinking the single ended would be enough. It states 750mw into 300 ohms but on the higher gains does this go up?

Also for the LCD xc at 20 ohms which setting would you guys recommend and is there any need for balanced being that this headphone is easy to drive?

Thanks
It’s not always quite as simple as working out the power available for a given load, as the SE and Balanced on an amp can be implemented differently, and also sound different. Sure a headphone or IEM may be easy to drive, but not so easy to drive well.

I don’t know the Rag2, but on my Jot2 the balanced out sounds significantly better than SE, and can transform even a super-sensitive low-impedance IEM like the Campfire Andromeda2020. The big difference I hear is in dynamics, and bass weight, which expands the sound stage in all directions for a much grander listen.

I suspect your LCD-XC will benefit from going balanced, planars always appreciate more available power in my experience. If it was me and I’d invested in Yggy2/Rag2, I’d want to go all the way and get balanced cables for my headphones.

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #13,290 of 13,350
Che
It’s not always quite as simple as working out the power available for a given load, as the SE and Balanced on an amp can be implemented differently, and also sound different. Sure a headphone or IEM may be easy to drive, but not so easy to drive well.

I don’t know the Rag2, but on my Jot2 the balanced out sounds significantly better than SE, and can transform even a super-sensitive low-impedance IEM like the Campfire Andromeda2020. The big difference I hear is in dynamics, and bass weight, which expands the sound stage in all directions for a much grander listen.

I suspect your LCD-XC will benefit from going balanced, planars always appreciate more available power in my experience. If it was me and I’d invested in Yggy2/Rag2, I’d want to go all the way and get balanced cables for my headphones.
Cheers for the reply. Would you recommend any cables in particular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back