Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 20, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #13,306 of 13,350
Nov 3, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #13,307 of 13,350
Couple questions about a VAL2.
Don't know if this is the best place to ask so direct me if this isn't.
First how do I know when tubes are going out? Will it be subtle or obvious?

It has periods when there is a little static it makes, usually about a hour after its ben on, does it for a little bit then stops. I asway though it was just something with the tubes.

Today it stated making a sort of high pitched staticky whine in the background. I unplugged everything and it was definitely the Val as it kept doing it. So I turned it off unplugged it and let it sit for a bit. Now its gone. Any idea what that cold have been?

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #13,308 of 13,350

It has periods when there is a little static it makes, usually about a hour after its ben on, does it for a little bit then stops. I asway though it was just something with the tubes.

Today it stated making a sort of high pitched staticky whine in the background. I unplugged everything and it was definitely the Val as it kept doing it. So I turned it off unplugged it and let it sit for a bit. Now its gone. Any idea what that cold have been?
So. To lessen the confusion, are you talking about Valhalla 2 or Vali 2? Either way, it’s pretty obvious. You can get hum, they can all of a sudden become microphonic (where if you touch the amp anywhere or even the rack/table, the sound of that comes through the headphones, or a channel goes out), or if life just starts sounding weird.

Sometimes stuff comes and goes. Watch and see if it becomes constant, and have (always have) spare tubes handy.

Which amp is it, anyway? And I wish the names weren’t so close, too. And are you using the stock tubes, or ones you’ve bought?

Edit: what you are describing could indeed be tube-related.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #13,309 of 13,350

I believe what you are experiencing are tube issues, not amp related. I’ve had similar issues where tubes suddenly become microphonic or were microphonic from the get go.

I’ve also had one tube develop static noises audible in headphones when there’s no sound playing, I moved that tube to my speaker preamp where they noise isn’t audible from normal listening distance and it has performed its duty well there for over a year.

If a tube starts making trouble check the pins and clean them if needed, if you use a socket extender/saver check that as well and try without it. Some issues like this come from bad contact between the tube pins and the socket.

Tubes are consumables and degrade over time and eventually fail. It’s logical to assume that this affects the sound signature but if it does it’s in a subtle way that I’ve not noticed yet. I’ve asked around and of what I understand they will keep their sound signature until failure or at least very far down the line.

The bottom line being; don’t worry, keep a few spares of the tubes you like, and enjoy the music :L3000:

Nov 4, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #13,310 of 13,350
So. To lessen the confusion, are you talking about Valhalla 2 or Vali 2? Either way, it’s pretty obvious. You can get hum, they can all of a sudden become microphonic (where if you touch the amp anywhere or even the rack/table, the sound of that comes through the headphones, or a channel goes out), or if life just starts sounding weird.

Sometimes stuff comes and goes. Watch and see if it becomes constant, and have (always have) spare tubes handy.

Which amp is it, anyway? And I wish the names weren’t so close, too. And are you using the stock tubes, or ones you’ve bought?

Edit: what you are describing could indeed be tube-related.

Yeah when I read it again I thought that's probably confusing. Its a Valhalla 2.

The back tubes are the stock ones. No idea how many hours they had on them when I got it, I bought the whole setup used from here. I think these may be the ones making the noise. I don't have spares for these.

The fronts are some Philips JAN 6922 they were NOS. I also have the stock fronts but I liked the JANs better.

Any suggestions for some spares that are somewhat reasonably priced?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #13,311 of 13,350
Any suggestions for some spares that are somewhat reasonably priced?
The standard complement of 6N1P / 6N6P matched pairs can be had from Schiit for $120 and from other (less reputable, like eBay) sellers for as low as $30.

Nov 4, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #13,313 of 13,350
Less reputable how? They sell bad stuff? Vivatubes on ebay has good reviews and has reasonably priced stuff.
Viva tubes have their own site and web store too, but of course your question is warranted; I did not mean to say all sellers on eBay are less reputable, or that someone having a presence on eBay would be less reputable because of it. My apologies that it came out that way.

That said, I just try to be a bit cautious there and avoid listings where “matched” turns out to mean “by year”.

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #13,314 of 13,350
Viva tubes have their own site and web store too, but of course your question is warranted; I did not mean to say all sellers on eBay are less reputable, or that someone having a presence on eBay would be less reputable because of it. My apologies that it came out that way.

That said, I just try to be a bit cautious there and avoid listings where “matched” turns out to mean “by year”.

I, see. Yeah I just got a set from viva. We will see.

Nov 4, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #13,315 of 13,350

Do you happen to recall if the 6n6ps need to be matched? I know in Folkvangr they don’t… Tak!

Nov 4, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #13,316 of 13,350
I, see. Yeah I just got a set from viva. We will see.
Viva is fine, as far as my experience goes. Last time I looked, they did not have any 6N6Ps, so I resorted to ebay. If you want the seller’s name, pm me.

i really like 5670s (they need an adapter) in front, tubedepot.com has both, and they tend to be cheaper than 6922/ECC88s.

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #13,317 of 13,350
Do you happen to recall if the 6n6ps need to be matched? I know in Folkvangr they don’t… Tak!
I don’t have a Valhalla so I’m not sure but I would think they do.

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #13,318 of 13,350
Viva is fine, as far as my experience goes. Last time I looked, they did not have any 6N6Ps, so I resorted to ebay. If you want the seller’s name, pm me.

i really like 5670s (they need an adapter) in front, tubedepot.com has both, and they tend to be cheaper than 6922/ECC88s.
I have had GE 5670's in the MJOLNIR 2 for years now ... the 5-Star seem to last forever !

Nov 5, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #13,319 of 13,350
Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #13,320 of 13,350
Just spotted this thread. I've been enjoying music again since buying Schiit Freya+ and Bifrost2/64 in September.
Patiently awaiting Mjolnir 3 and Urd. Have always listened to loudspeakers, trying headphones soon. Vinyl and CD sources.
Enjoying reading thru the various Schiit threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back