Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 13, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #13,246 of 13,350
Idk, with full size headphones I never had any issue with just using the standard usb implementations. I would get a 2nd hand schiit amp for the HD650, Asgard 3, even the Asgard 2. Lyr 2 or Lyr 3 would be endgame for me. There are other good non Schiit options as well as far as discrete solid state amps go. Then invest the savings in a good "topping" style dac to have a reference for further journeying into different flavors of dac tech, discrete ladder, fpga, MB chips etc...

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #13,247 of 13,350
Do you mean the older Valhalla 2 or the current Valhalla on the schiit site?

I've considered tubes and they have always intrigued me but I've avoided them up to this point due to the fact that I would end up going down another expensive rabbit hole, I couldn't help but to start tube rolling. Also they're a bit of a hassle that I don't know that I want to deal with.

That said I wouldn't completely rule them out. Here is the thing I like fast music, electronic, metal. I like a tight fun sound. I like lots of bass. I like, it's tough to describe, but I call it musical which honestly may be two different sounds. Tubes to me I hear things like lush, syrupy, laid back. I don't know if I would like them.
Um, both are Valhalla 2… Keep in mind that Schiit isn’t really about tube distortion, Jason values accuracy and detail. But I do get it about thr rabbit hole. Try Asgard. If you don’t like, trade up to Jot!

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #13,248 of 13,350
Do you mean the older Valhalla 2 or the current Valhalla on the schiit site?

I've considered tubes and they have always intrigued me but I've avoided them up to this point due to the fact that I would end up going down another expensive rabbit hole, I couldn't help but to start tube rolling. Also they're a bit of a hassle that I don't know that I want to deal with.

That said I wouldn't completely rule them out. Here is the thing I like fast music, electronic, metal. I like a tight fun sound. I like lots of bass. I like, it's tough to describe, but I call it musical which honestly may be two different sounds. Tubes to me I hear things like lush, syrupy, laid back. I don't know if I would like them.
With a Valhalla 2, you can vary the sound to an extent from ‘lush, syrupy, laid back’ to ‘lean, crisp, forward’ by the choice of tubes: particularly the front pair (6N1P, 6DJ8, 6922, or 12AT7 / 12AU7 with adapters).

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #13,249 of 13,350
With a Valhalla 2, you can vary the sound to an extent from ‘lush, syrupy, laid back’ to ‘lean, crisp, forward’ by the choice of tubes: particularly the front pair (6N1P, 6DJ8, 6922, or 12AT7 / 12AU7 with adapters).
I hate admitting it to myself given how much I’ve invested, but I have a really hard time telling the difference between any tubes in my Valhalla 2 and either the Vali 2+ or even Asgard 3, but I realize YMMV. Now an OTC amp from some good people in Ukraine on the other hand, that is what I call lush dynamic driver bliss.

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #13,250 of 13,350
I hate admitting it to myself given how much I’ve invested, but I have a really hard time telling the difference between any tubes in my Valhalla 2 and either the Vali 2+ or even Asgard 3, but I realize YMMV. Now an OTC amp from some good people in Ukraine ** on the other hand, that is what I call lush dynamic driver bliss.
** Tor Audio ? 🤔

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #13,251 of 13,350
** Tor Audio ? 🤔
Nailed it!

After a perilous journey out of the country and across the Atlantic last year, it was well worth the wait. My least favorite thing about it is that it’s sort of ruined the rest of my gear in comparison! 🤣

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #13,252 of 13,350
I hate admitting it to myself given how much I’ve invested, but I have a really hard time telling the difference between any tubes in my Valhalla 2 and either the Vali 2+ or even Asgard 3, but I realize YMMV. Now an OTC amp from some good people in Ukraine on the other hand, that is what I call lush dynamic driver bliss.
It also depends on your headphones.

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #13,253 of 13,350
Nailed it!

After a perilous journey out of the country and across the Atlantic last year, it was well worth the wait. My least favorite thing about it is that it’s sort of ruined the rest of my gear in comparison! 🤣
Looks great and their prices aren't really that terrible but a bit more than I'm looking spend.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #13,254 of 13,350
I am not 100 percent sure I would stay single ended, its just a cable swap for the Senns, but more money and another rabbit hole that I dont know that im totally interested in.

How about another slightly related question.....how many people use Eitrs and how many people have had issues when them? I still think about the possibility of sending mine back again but the fact that its tossed 2 USB chips now makes me suspect there is some other issue with it and I don't know if its something that can be tested for.
My HD-600 sounds well better balanced than SE on my Rag 1, same is true for my planars. I've been using balanced for 27 years and no interest in going back.

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #13,255 of 13,350
Idk, with full size headphones I never had any issue with just using the standard usb implementations. I would get a 2nd hand schiit amp for the HD650, Asgard 3, even the Asgard 2. Lyr 2 or Lyr 3 would be endgame for me. There are other good non Schiit options as well as far as discrete solid state amps go. Then invest the savings in a good "topping" style dac to have a reference for further journeying into different flavors of dac tech, discrete ladder, fpga, MB chips etc...
Wait, You are recommending Schiit amps, but not DAC's? Hmm.

Senn 600/650/800 sound a good deal better on OTL tube amps - but the BHC, BHCs, and XDU00 T26 sound better with them than the Vahalla 2. Perhaps the new one will fix this. All of those named amps sound better on the 600 and 800 over my Ragnarok 1 for instance, not to mention the Bryston BHA-1.

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #13,256 of 13,350
Wait, You are recommending Schiit amps, but not DAC's? Hmm.

Senn 600/650/800 sound a good deal better on OTL tube amps - but the BHC, BHCs, and XDU00 T26 sound better with them than the Vahalla 2.**
** in part, because of the low nominal output impedance of Valhalla 2: 3.5 ohms (low gain), 14.0 ohms (high gain). A more typical OTL has a nominal output impedance ~ 100 to 120 ohms.

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #13,258 of 13,350
Um, both are Valhalla 2… Keep in mind that Schiit isn’t really about tube distortion, Jason values accuracy and detail. But I do get it about thr rabbit hole. Try Asgard. If you don’t like, trade up to Jot!
I found a great tube sound with the Vali 2++ and RCA Command 5670. Still detailed but has the tube influence. A GE JAN 5670 will definitely give you more of a solid state sound.
I bought an Asgard 3 to replace my Asgard 2 as soon they were available. I've always enjoyed its warm presentation, especially with the Modi Multibit. I have a Modi Multibit 2 out for delivery today that I'm looking forward to.

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #13,259 of 13,350
I found a great tube sound with the Vali 2++ and RCA Command 5670. Still detailed but has the tube influence. A GE JAN 5670 will definitely give you more of a solid state sound.
I bought an Asgard 3 to replace my Asgard 2 as soon they were available. I've always enjoyed its warm presentation, especially with the Modi Multibit. I have a Modi Multibit 2 out for delivery today that I'm looking forward to.
RCA tubes are great, I have a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back