Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 6, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #13,231 of 13,350
At the Schiitr. A cool hang, no question. My order was due in at 2PM. I got there a little early and did some listening in the HeadFi room, and in the hifi room. Here Ape and a customer are enjoying. 20230105_134735_HDR~2.jpg
We need LCD-R2... this time not limited to 67 units

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #13,232 of 13,350
Jan 6, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #13,233 of 13,350
At the Schiitr. A cool hang, no question. My order was due in at 2PM. I got there a little early and did some listening in the HeadFi room, and in the hifi room. Here Ape and a customer are enjoying. 20230105_134735_HDR~2.jpg

Did they sell the Schiit rug?

Jan 8, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #13,234 of 13,350
Really cool, maybe one day I'll be able to make the pilgrimage. I've always wondered what the really high dollar Schiit sounds like.

Jan 12, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #13,235 of 13,350
Bunch of questions coming, sorry been holding them back for a while.

I currently run a Magni 3+ with a Modi Multibit. Used to run an Eitr too but the USB chip went out in it for the second time and I didn't want to send it back for a repair to Schiit for a second time. Plus Ive always thought I would upgrade the stack eventually anyway. My main headphones are Senn HD6xxs.

I always come to the Asgard and the Jot. Can someone, if you can, sort of describe the difference between the two amps and is the Jot worth the extra 150 bucks. Especially when taking into consideration the HD6xxs.

Also would the Jot be worth it even if I had no desire to run balanced?

How are the DACs that come in it?

It would be nice to have a one box solution but also the MM is really good, but doesn't have Unison USB, so I need to run some sort of decrapifier, so another box if I kept the MM in the chain. Also that mean Ill either need to send the Eitr back a second time to get fixed and hope the USB doesn't go again, of which I little confidence in since this is the second time its went out, there's gotta be something else wrong with it we aren't finding. OR I need to find another USB solution.

I know about the MM2 but Ive also heard it sounds nothing like the original and Im afraid I wont like it, So I dont really want to spend the 300 bucks on it unless Im sure. Also....its 300 bucks. I could probably find an old Multibit BF1 for that or less...Also Schiit appears to be selling multibit cards separately from the as/jot but for some reason aren't selling asgards or jots with them installed.

I am not 100 percent against D/S and even have a slight curiosity of how good D/S implementation sounds.

How is the multibit card in the Jot? Id heard they weren't as good as the MM when they first came out but Im sure they have been revisions made to it.

So sorry I know lots to unpack, but again Ive been mulling this for a while waiting for updates to the line and I think this is the right time.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #13,236 of 13,350
I always come to the Asgard and the Jot. Can someone, if you can, sort of describe the difference between the two amps and is the Jot worth the extra 150 bucks. Especially when taking into consideration the HD6xxs.
I can't say for the HD6xxs specifically, but for me the Jot2 was absolutely worth it as an upgrade from the A3...
...because it has the balanced option. If you are 100% sure you'll never used balanced, then just get the A3. Bass is much tighter with more impact, and the improvement in dynamic range with Jot2 balanced is noticeable to varying degrees with just about all of my headphones and IEMs, those with planar or dynamic drivers in particular. It's just a bigger overall sound that is that much easier to get immersed in.
I have the ESS DAC in my A3 and I think it's pretty good for a $100 upgrade that gives me a simple one-box solution I can deploy at different spots around the house away from my main desk setup, or take with me on a holiday.
I know about the MM2 but Ive also heard it sounds nothing like the original and Im afraid I wont like it, So I dont really want to spend the 300 bucks on it unless Im sure. Also....its 300 bucks. I could probably find an old Multibit BF1 for that or less...Also Schiit appears to be selling multibit cards separately from the as/jot but for some reason aren't selling asgards or jots with them installed.
You're in the US right? You can always take advantage of Schiit's 15-day money back guarantee, and trial the MM2 with no real risk. I think if you order an A3 or Jot2 with the card at the same time Schiit will install it for you.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #13,237 of 13,350
...because it has the balanced option. If you are 100% sure you'll never used balanced, then just get the A3. Bass is much tighter with more impact, and the improvement in dynamic range with Jot2 balanced is noticeable to varying degrees with just about all of my headphones and IEMs, those with planar or dynamic drivers in particular. It's just a bigger overall sound that is that much easier to get immersed in.

I am not 100 percent sure I would stay single ended, its just a cable swap for the Senns, but more money and another rabbit hole that I dont know that im totally interested in.

How about another slightly related question.....how many people use Eitrs and how many people have had issues when them? I still think about the possibility of sending mine back again but the fact that its tossed 2 USB chips now makes me suspect there is some other issue with it and I don't know if its something that can be tested for.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #13,238 of 13,350
I am not 100 percent sure I would stay single ended, its just a cable swap for the Senns, but more money and another rabbit hole that I dont know that im totally interested in.
Lol, that's what I used to think which is why I bought the A3 as my first amp. Plus which at the time Jot2 hadn't yet been released, and I thought the older Jot1 was due for a refresh..

tbh, I reckon balanced is worth pursuing. I finally got around to getting a balanced cable for my 64Audio A12t the other day, and I was surprised how much difference it makes with both the Jot2 and my HiBy RS6 DAP. That much closer to end-game I guess... :)

Jan 12, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #13,240 of 13,350
tbh, I reckon balanced is worth pursuing.
Balanced makes a huge difference (to me) in my HT setup. How quantifiable of a difference does it make with headphones?

I'm thinking, personally, my MagPi and an MM2 are probably going to be where I end up. My MagPi sounds amazing with my Gumby but that's not really a practical set up -- gumby takes up 1/4 of my (small) desk!

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #13,241 of 13,350

I currently run a Magni 3+ with a Modi Multibit. Used to run an Eitr too but the USB chip went out in it for the second time and I didn't want to send it back for a repair to Schiit for a second time. Plus Ive always thought I would upgrade the stack eventually anyway. My main headphones are Senn HD6xxs.

It would be nice to have a one box solution but also the MM is really good, but doesn't have Unison USB, so I need to run some sort of decrapifier, so another box if I kept the MM in the chain. Also that mean Ill either need to send the Eitr back a second time to get fixed and hope the USB doesn't go again, of which I little confidence in since this is the second time its went out, there's gotta be something else wrong with it we aren't finding. OR I need to find another USB solution.

I am not 100 percent against D/S and even have a slight curiosity of how good D/S implementation sounds.

How is the multibit card in the Jot? Id heard they weren't as good as the MM when they first came out but Im sure they have been revisions made to it.

So sorry I know lots to unpack, but again Ive been mulling this for a while waiting for updates to the line and I think this is the right time.

I am not so sure the Asgard 3 would be an upgrade with only HD6XX. I've tried the pairing a few times and it hasn't stuck with me. Between Sundara and HD6XX I prefer the Sundara by a lot on this amp. Synergy with 6XX isn't there for me.

Jotunheim 2 is fully balanced so running it SE I believe you're only using half the circuit. A decent XLR cable for the 6XX is like $50? I'd just add it in as part of the upgrade if you go this route. It probably isn't worth getting just to run it single ended only.

Can't comment on the multibit card, but if you were looking at the 9028 internal card its not too shabby. I don't like ESS dacs but in the Modi it's not the worst thing in the world (and I mean that as a big compliment). USB 9028 card is roughly equal to Modi 3E USB performance in my opinion, but external dacs have the advantage of additional inputs. The tradeoff of a smaller footprint I don't think is as big as it used to be.

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #13,242 of 13,350
I am not so sure the Asgard 3 would be an upgrade with only HD6XX. I've tried the pairing a few times and it hasn't stuck with me. Between Sundara and HD6XX I prefer the Sundara by a lot on this amp. Synergy with 6XX isn't there for me.

Jotunheim 2 is fully balanced so running it SE I believe you're only using half the circuit. A decent XLR cable for the 6XX is like $50? I'd just add it in as part of the upgrade if you go this route. It probably isn't worth getting just to run it single ended only.

Can't comment on the multibit card, but if you were looking at the 9028 internal card its not too shabby. I don't like ESS dacs but in the Modi it's not the worst thing in the world (and I mean that as a big compliment). USB 9028 card is roughly equal to Modi 3E USB performance in my opinion, but external dacs have the advantage of additional inputs. The tradeoff of a smaller footprint I don't think is as big as it used to be.

But if I went balanced the jot would be an upgrade with the senns?

I don't think I'd get a modi 3e, I would just stick with the modi multibit at that point. Which I like quite a lot. I was hoping the mm2 was an improvement over it plus unison but it seems it's more different than better.

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #13,243 of 13,350
Lol, that's what I used to think which is why I bought the A3 as my first amp. Plus which at the time Jot2 hadn't yet been released, and I thought the older Jot1 was due for a refresh..

tbh, I reckon balanced is worth pursuing. I finally got around to getting a balanced cable for my 64Audio A12t the other day, and I was surprised how much difference it makes with both the Jot2 and my HiBy RS6 DAP. That much closer to end-game I guess... :)

Jot 2 is one of those amps that have very noticeable differences in SE and Balanced output due to different discrete topology between the two. On op-amp based amps with gazillion amount of feedback, the difference is negligible between SE and Balanced

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #13,244 of 13,350

Wow! Lots of juicy questions! My opinion only, but here goes…

1. If you’re running Senn 6s (in any flavour), consider Valhalla 2. Pretty much made for them. If solid state is your desire, go with Asgard. I prefer it to Jot 2, by a fair margin (I find Jot 2 too bright). As to internal DACs, unless you NEED a single box solution (some do), stick with separates. Better sound, more inputs. What you’re using today may not be what you use tomorrow.

Again, my opinion, hope it helps…

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #13,245 of 13,350
Do you mean the older Valhalla 2 or the current Valhalla on the schiit site?

I've considered tubes and they have always intrigued me but I've avoided them up to this point due to the fact that I would end up going down another expensive rabbit hole, I couldn't help but to start tube rolling. Also they're a bit of a hassle that I don't know that I want to deal with.

That said I wouldn't completely rule them out. Here is the thing I like fast music, electronic, metal. I like a tight fun sound. I like lots of bass. I like, it's tough to describe, but I call it musical which honestly may be two different sounds. Tubes to me I hear things like lush, syrupy, laid back. I don't know if I would like them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back