Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 16, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #13,261 of 13,350
I've owned several tube amps and receivers and the 12ax7 RCA,black plates made in the 50's have always been a favorite. Even more so than the Telefunkens, Mullards, or Bugle Boys.
For me Phillips Herleen 7062 are my favorite.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #13,262 of 13,350
I found a great tube sound with the Vali 2++ and RCA Command 5670. Still detailed but has the tube influence. A GE JAN 5670 will definitely give you more of a solid state sound.
I bought an Asgard 3 to replace my Asgard 2 as soon they were available. I've always enjoyed its warm presentation, especially with the Modi Multibit. I have a Modi Multibit 2 out for delivery today that I'm looking forward to.
Enjoy! Vali 2 (I have the original, from before any pluses were added), punches far far above its weight, in my book. I have a number of tubes for it, and really like the military (JAN) 5670s (with adapter) grom GE. The Genelex Gold Lion 6922 is also great. Probably the best value in Schiit amps, in my opinion. Pairs really well with Modi Multibit (original).

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #13,263 of 13,350
Enjoy! Vali 2 (I have the original, from before any pluses were added), punches far far above its weight, in my book. I have a number of tubes for it, and really like the military (JAN) 5670s (with adapter) grom GE. The Genelex Gold Lion 6922 is also great. Probably the best value in Schiit amps, in my opinion. Pairs really well with Modi Multibit (original).
The Genalex Gold Lion 12ax7 gold pins are my favorite new production tubes for a 12AX7.

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #13,264 of 13,350
Yup, Schiit amps are great.
Yes they are, for the most part, my daily driver is a Rag 1. The DAC's are amazing however. In 2015 I was looking for a sub 10k DAC that sounded like music and the Gungnir MB v1 did it for me.

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #13,265 of 13,350
The Genalex Gold Lion 12ax7 gold pins are my favorite new production tubes for a 12AX7.
Some of what is made now is pretty good, but I have never heard a JJ of the past few decades that didn't suck. I'm sure there must be a few,

I use the E80CC with my BHCs with sublime results - but it only works with the speedball and a resistor value change.

Not getting ripped off with NOS, or "lightly used" tubes requires patience and a big nose for fraud.

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #13,266 of 13,350
Some of what is made now is pretty good, but I have never heard a JJ of the past few decades that didn't suck. I'm sure there must be a few,

I use the E80CC with my BHCs with sublime results - but it only works with the speedball and a resistor value change.

Not getting ripped off with NOS, or "lightly used" tubes requires patience and a big nose for fraud.
Yeah, so when are the folks at PSvane gonna get off their arses and make a 6922, hey?

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #13,267 of 13,350
Jan 16, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #13,268 of 13,350
Jan 16, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #13,269 of 13,350

Not getting ripped off with NOS, or "lightly used" tubes requires patience and a big nose for fraud **
** on the smell-out for nine-pin-occhios 🤣🤣

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #13,270 of 13,350
Jan 17, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #13,271 of 13,350
Yes they are, for the most part, my daily driver is a Rag 1. The DAC's are amazing however. In 2015 I was looking for a sub 10k DAC that sounded like music and the Gungnir MB v1 did it for me.
Cool, but between the Gungir and $10k (as well as between Gungir and a $100 Topping), there are a lot of dacs. What competition did it go against?

I feel Schiit is a better bang for the bucks deal with their amps, while the dacs were a metter of taste more than their amps, in my case at least (amps impress more easily with just raw technicalities I guess).

Gungir can be endgame to many, even the Bifrost line has its charms. They just didn't click with me vs Chord, Audio-gd, Violectric, which to my ears are perhaps more "colored", but usually I tend to prefer that so...

If I was starting my head-fi journey on a budget, I would get a "Topping" style dac first, and invest more downstream. I've the D30 pro, it's "perfect"... to a fault... :)

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #13,272 of 13,350
Cool, but between the Gungir and $10k (as well as between Gungir and a $100 Topping), there are a lot of dacs. What competition did it go against?
Yggy (early) and Bryston BDA-2. The Gumby sounded the closest to my Koetsu Rosewood Sig, with better bass under 60 Hz. including the soundstage. The Yggy, was more defined but with more treble which I feared would irritate me over time. The Bryston was suave but actually lacked top end air - so no to that. By the way if the Yggy thats sold now was sold then I would have bought that.

The 10k threshold came from the Krell KPS 20i that cost $9k over 20 years ago and was the first digital playback (player) that sounded like music, but with a room stereo that already listed for $50k and 12k pieces of vinyl and two young children, the time wasn't right to buy then.
I feel Schiit is a better bang for the bucks deal with their amps, while the dacs were a metter of taste more than their amps, in my case at least (amps impress more easily with just raw technicalities I guess).
OK. I have only heard one of the DAC's that are installed in the amps (meh) and only about 1/2 of the ones (decent for the money) they have made under the Gumby level (the non MB version is not to my liking at all), but the Yggy is a reference piece, and the Gumby is its younger brother with a slight audiophile presentation (euphonic).

I sold my vinyl playback and all my vinyl after the Yggy was in my hands. Can't think of a higher compliment.
Gungir can be endgame to many, even the Bifrost line has its charms. They just didn't click with me vs Chord, Audio-gd, Violectric, which to my ears are perhaps more "colored", but usually I tend to prefer that so...

If I was starting my head-fi journey on a budget, I would get a "Topping" style dac first, and invest more downstream. I've the D30 pro, it's "perfect"... to a fault... :)
Gungnir MB 1 is more in the Audio-gd and violectric nieghberhood. To each his own. There have been a lot of improvements since the Gungnir MB 1 was built. But after the selloff came more downsizing, so, I'm sticking with it, and not checking out any more DAC's starting now so I won't get any ideas...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #13,273 of 13,350
Gungnir MB 1 is more in the Audio-gd and violectric nieghberhood. To each his own. There have been a lot of improvements since the Gungnir MB 1 was built. But after the selloff came more downsizing, so, I'm sticking with it, and not checking out any more DAC's starting now so I won't get any ideas...
Ever since I've got mine I have yet to read of another DAC that would suit me better. I mean, if things were perfect, I can spend time looking and listening. Since these days it's buy-it-and-return-it there's no point.

HST, the Linn streamer I have comes with a comparable DAC.

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #13,274 of 13,350
Um, both are Valhalla 2… Keep in mind that Schiit isn’t really about tube distortion, Jason values accuracy and detail. But I do get it about thr rabbit hole. Try Asgard. If you don’t like, trade up to Jot!

Yeah I got a bit confused and could have sworn they came out with a new one or changed the Valhalla 2 at some point but I guess not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back