Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 9, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #12,961 of 13,350
Has anybody here upgraded from a Fulla 2 to a full Modi/Magni or Modi/Vali stack who can comment on the improvements they saw by upgrading?

Is a Fulla/Magni stack worth upgrading to, or does the stack really need a Modi DAC?
Your Fulla 2's volume knob is smoother (and for my ogre-sized finger tips... more controllable) than my Magni 3's pot. My vote: Modi/Vali2 combination... for something a little different. I'm very very pleased with my Vali's performance and it does sound different than my Magni... for what it's worth. Modi-3 or Modi Multibit? Ooof, I'll reserve judgement (pssh, for ripped CDs [16-bit, FLAC], it's an excellent pairing for me). Unless your headphones need more oomph, I suspect your Fulla will be awesome enough. My 2 cents...

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #12,962 of 13,350
Sorry for an ignorant question. But recently I have got Meze Empyrean which is a low impedence Planars. It has impedence of 31.6.
Can I safely use it with Valahalla2 in low gain where it says the output impedenxe of 3.5. In Schiit website it is advertised to be used with planars as well.
Do you see any downside of using Valhalla2 with low impedence headphone in low gain. Does it have any long term detrimental effect on drivers?
I've suspect the Valhallas won't trash your Meze cans. I took a look at page 4 of the Valhalla2's manual: ...Headphone Jack. This is where you plug your headphones in. Unlike most Schiit amps, Valhalla’s slow turn-on means we don’t need a muting relay. In the case of sensitive headphones and IEMs, though, you may want to wait a minute for the amp to stabilize before plugging in.

What I do with my Vali 2 (when it's cold)...
a. Turn it on. Volume at zero.
b. Let it power up. While it does have a muting relay, it does make a disconcerting (but harmless) pop if I leave my headphones plugged in (and on my ears).
c. Plug in my cans. Adjust the gain switch (hi for my HD650 clones).
d. Slowly increase the volume.

On page 5, the manual comments on attaching components to the RCA-out jacks: ...Preamp Outputs. Connect to powered monitors or a speaker amp. CAUTION: Switch Valhalla 2 on and wait at least 30 seconds before turning on a powered monitor or amp, and turn off the powered monitor or amp before turning Valhalla 2 off. Preamp outs are muted when headphones are plugged in.

That's not an ignorant question at all, @kumar402 . You do NOT want magic blue smoke coming out of your cans. The Valhalla's my next amp (0% need... my Magni/Vali combo is 100% all I need. THAT glorious 4-tube beast is 100% want). :ksc75smile:

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #12,963 of 13,350
AED11690-9274-46D1-8C70-9B4F7BE9DA3D.jpeg
Your Fulla 2's volume knob is smoother (and for my ogre-sized finger tips... more controllable) than my Magni 3's pot. My vote: Modi/Vali2 combination... for something a little different. I'm very very pleased with my Vali's performance and it does sound different than my Magni... for what it's worth. Modi-3 or Modi Multibit? Ooof, I'll reserve judgement (pssh, for ripped CDs [16-bit, FLAC], it's an excellent pairing for me). Unless your headphones need more oomph, I suspect your Fulla will be awesome enough. My 2 cents...
I’ll second the modi/vali2 stack (multibit for me). In other news, I may have gone overboard with a new volume knob (but after doing it, I LOVE it for the fine control it gives me). Note that it also mostly obscures the power LED (ymmv on that one). Note that this is a 1.25” knob. I have a 0.75” one coming monday, might see what I think..

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #12,964 of 13,350

I’ll second the modi/vali2 stack (multibit for me). In other news, I may have gone overboard with a new volume knob (but after doing it, I LOVE it for the fine control it gives me). Note that it also mostly obscures the power LED (ymmv on that one). Note that this is a 1.25” knob. I have a 0.75” one coming monday, might see what I think..
That image was GLORIOUSLY bonkers. Is that solid block of milled steel... and if so, do you think its torsion could somehow damage the stock potetiometer? It's the one beef I have with both my Vali and Magni... the knobs are slick and puny (I know. I know. Spend more money and buy a Valhalla & Asgard). Thanks for the image post @JamminVMI :smile_phones:

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #12,965 of 13,350
That image was GLORIOUSLY bonkers. Is that solid block of milled steel... and if so, do you think its torsion could somehow damage the stock potetiometer? It's the one beef I have with both my Vali and Magni... the knobs are slick and puny (I know. I know. Spend more money and buy a Valhalla & Asgard). Thanks for the image post @JamminVMI :smile_phones:
Lol! Nah, it’s an aluminuum knob, but the extra diameter makes very fine adjustments ( for the Audioengine A2’s or Hifiman HE-4xx’s) very easy.

I thought it was comical when I first set it up, but nowI’m in love with it! And knob was $3.25!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #12,967 of 13,350
My name is Jamie, and I'm a Schiit addict (Hi, Jamie!)

Have a Lyr3, plus a Gumby to MJ2 rig. I like this stuff, ok?

GMB & MJ2 ... I like that stuff as well ! Not heard the LYR3 yet but if I have an MJ2, should I be worried ?!!

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #12,969 of 13,350
Lol! Nah, it’s an aluminuum knob, but the extra diameter makes very fine adjustments ( for the Audioengine A2’s or Hifiman HE-4xx’s) very easy.

I thought it was comical when I first set it up, but nowI’m in love with it! And knob was $3.25!
Question, @JamminVMI ...When you removed the stock knob, did you have to remove the top chasis? I’m assuming the potentiometer had a ‘half-moon’ spindle. I don’t know how much force one has to use to swap out knobs (and am wondering if I should grasp the switch’s base [so I don’t loosen the electrical contacts]). Straight-forward swap?

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #12,970 of 13,350
Question, @JamminVMI ...When you removed the stock knob, did you have to remove the top chasis? I’m assuming the potentiometer had a ‘half-moon’ spindle. I don’t know how much force one has to use to swap out knobs (and am wondering if I should grasp the switch’s base [so I don’t loosen the electrical contacts]). Straight-forward swap?
As straightforward as can be. Its a set-screw knob on a D-shaft (solid round shaft w/flat side). As long as you have the right tool for the set screw, takes a whole minute...

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #12,971 of 13,350
As straightforward as can be. Its a set-screw knob on a D-shaft (solid round shaft w/flat side). As long as you have the right tool for the set screw, takes a whole minute...
Nice! Thanks.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #12,973 of 13,350
Hey all, just dropping in to say hi and put a pin in this thread. Been running a Valhalla/Bifrost stack for a while - love it!

welcome! i have been enjoying this exact combo as well, and I don’t think I have any plans of changing anytime soon...perfect as pre amp going to tube power amp and even better straight to the headphones...

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #12,974 of 13,350

This is the 3/4" knob I have on mine. Love it so much better than the stock.

pGQU3UL.jpg

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #12,975 of 13,350
This is the 3/4" knob I have on mine. Love it so much better than the stock.

pGQU3UL.jpg
That actually fits better with the overall aesthetic of V2, I think. Mine’s a bit of overkill (but I like it...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back