Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 23, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #12,946 of 13,350
@Focux ... I love my brushed-aluminum Schiit boxes; however, if I had to make a choice, I'd buy better headphones over another DAC or headamp (superior end product [sound]). I've heard good things about the Mojo (it has all those weird and wonderful coloured buttons the the side right?). Let us know what you end up with, eh.

My next headphone will be a planar magnetic. I then have the 'holy trinity': (a closed-back) + (an HD650 )+ (a can with a different driver technology). I'm really satisfied with my two Schiit amps... they allow me to play & mix-and-match! :smile_phones:

This...:L3000:

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #12,947 of 13,350
Just the surface noise.

Seriously. The biggest point in favor for vinyl in the past few years--for me, anyhow--is that new releases aren't mastered as loud for LP as for CD (Beck, My Morning Jacket, Neko Case, Radiohead, Wilco, The War on Drugs, etc.). Even so, Multibit (and all I have now is the Mimby!) sounds so good I've decided to ride out the loudness wars and give up on vinyl. Surface noise, setup hassle...

I think the Yggy is going to be my end-game. I was considering the Gumby, but with the Mimby in place I don't think I'll regret waiting and saving up.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #12,948 of 13,350
Seriously. The biggest point in favor for vinyl in the past few years--for me, anyhow--is that new releases aren't mastered as loud for LP as for CD (Beck, My Morning Jacket, Neko Case, Radiohead, Wilco, The War on Drugs, etc.). Even so, Multibit (and all I have now is the Mimby!) sounds so good I've decided to ride out the loudness wars and give up on vinyl. Surface noise, setup hassle...

I think the Yggy is going to be my end-game. I was considering the Gumby, but with the Mimby in place I don't think I'll regret waiting and saving up.
I just learned something! Loudness phenomena (vinyl) < (compact disc), eh. Huh. I was never a vinyl kid (cassette tapes all the way), and I hopped onto the CD bandwagon in 1989. My little multbit monster (ModiMB) does its thing. And does it very well (somehow). :ksc75smile:

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #12,949 of 13,350
FLTWS, you're right that I should go straight to the source and talk to Schiit. And let's hear it for keeping the humble CD alive and kicking! I've tried Tidal and am in the process of unloading my vinyl and analog setup. I just prefer putting a silver disc on, sitting back, and not having to deal with a computer or fussing over TT setup. And multibit sounds good enough (even with the Mimby!), I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

QFT :beerchug:

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #12,950 of 13,350
Holy heck my new bifrost multibit slams (and sounds really great). The difference in impact is more immediate than I anticipated.

IMG_1565.jpg

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #12,951 of 13,350
Holy heck my new bifrost multibit slams (and sounds really great). The difference in impact is more immediate than I anticipated.

I had an interest in the Bifrost recently.
I have a Modi 3 and a Modi Multibit, I've heard they sound very similar to the Bifrost versions. Is there any reason to upgrade from the Modi to the Bifrost?

Also that Asgard 2, do you consider it to be neutral and transparent?

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #12,952 of 13,350
I have a Modi 3 and a Modi Multibit, I've heard they sound very similar to the Bifrost versions. Is there any reason to upgrade from the Modi to the Bifrost?

After doing some soul searching, and some wallet searching, I decided to go with the bifrost multibit over the modi multibit not because I thought the sound would be dramatically different, but because I wanted something future proof and upgradable. I already blew through an original modi and a modi 2 u, both of which I loved, and I didn't want to have to sell another dac. I can tell you the bifrost multibit is certainly a tangible upgrade from the modi 2 u, but not sure about the bifrost MB vs. modi MB. Also, I just wanted something to match the size of the Asgard 2, which I've owned since 2013.

As to whether the Asgard 2 is neutral and transparent... I don't really know how to answer that. I'm not so great at identifying those qualities in audio equipment. I can tell you it's a friggin awesome solid state amp that's fast, crisp, and reasonably detailed. It can power my mrspeakers aeon closed to their full potential. It has better imaging than the amp in the ifi micro idsd Black label in my opinion. But I don't know if I would describe it as neutral right off the bat. Just not the adjective I would use. It does kick ass with lots of different genres of music.

I heard a benchmark amp at can jam that was really transparent and neutral and clear. More than the Asgard 2. But the Asgard 2 is $250 and the benchmark costs $3k. It definitely didn't sound $2750 better.

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #12,953 of 13,350

I've heard rumblings that the the Bifrost Multibit and Modi Multibit sound almost identical. My vote: save up for a Gungnir Multibit (that's my plan, anyway). I haven't seen comparisons between the Magni3 and the Asgard2... yet. :ksc75smile:

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #12,954 of 13,350

That's a NICE looking set up.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #12,956 of 13,350
I bought a Cthulu and man that power brick is huge! I thought it would be the size of a laptop brick, but it's probably over twice as big.

Buying from Schiit sucks for Canadians. I bought a SYS and the Chtulu, so total cost of $73 USD. Add $50 for shipping,and it worked out to $169 CAD. and then another $15 for brokerage, and all told it cost me $185 CDN to get two things that should cost $73. Obviously the exchange and brokerage are out of Schiit's control, and I did pay a little extra for faster shipping, but still, I paid over 2.5x the US price. I wish they had a Canadian distributor.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #12,957 of 13,350
I bought a Cthulu and man that power brick is huge! I thought it would be the size of a laptop brick, but it's probably over twice as big.

Buying from Schiit sucks for Canadians. I bought a SYS and the Chtulu, so total cost of $73 USD. Add $50 for shipping,and it worked out to $169 CAD. and then another $15 for brokerage, and all told it cost me $185 CDN to get two things that should cost $73. Obviously the exchange and brokerage are out of Schiit's control, and I did pay a little extra for faster shipping, but still, I paid over 2.5x the US price. I wish they had a Canadian distributor.
I feel your pain, @jnak00 . We get hosed at the border... for HST... for the CDN-to-USD exchange rate... for the brokerage fees (Really FedEx... REALLY?!). I've had my Cthulhu since last spring. It powers my Loki, Magni, Modi, and EITR. It's dead-quiet (no weird humm... no perceived EM-interference in my brushed aluminum boxes). Yeah, we overpaid for it; however, it's a quality piece of hardware. Grumble grumble grumble...I-understand-why-bootleggers-have-a-buffalo-post-office-box-and-accidentally-take-it-across-Sarnia. No no no. Be honest. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #12,958 of 13,350
I feel your pain, @jnak00 . We get hosed at the border... for HST... for the CDN-to-USD exchange rate... for the brokerage fees (Really FedEx... REALLY?!). I've had my Cthulhu since last spring. It powers my Loki, Magni, Modi, and EITR. It's dead-quiet (no weird humm... no perceived EM-interference in my brushed aluminum boxes). Yeah, we overpaid for it; however, it's a quality piece of hardware. Grumble grumble grumble...I-understand-why-bootleggers-have-a-buffalo-post-office-box-and-accidentally-take-it-across-Sarnia. No no no. Be honest. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Fedex isn't even that bad for fees....UPS has been way worse to me in the past. $70 in brokerage fees for a $100 package? Are you kidding me???

Maybe it's better for me to have it cost so much...otherwise I'd probably have a lot more Schiit and a lot less cash.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #12,960 of 13,350
Sorry for an ignorant question. But recently I have got Meze Empyrean which is a low impedence Planars. It has impedence of 31.6.
Can I safely use it with Valahalla2 in low gain where it says the output impedenxe of 3.5. In Schiit website it is advertised to be used with planars as well.
Do you see any downside of using Valhalla2 with low impedence headphone in low gain. Does it have any long term detrimental effect on drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back