Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 26, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #12,871 of 13,350
I've received a brand new Schiit Gungnir yesterday and I noticed that the digital coax port has a lot of wiggle play. Theres no problems with the sound, but I was wondering if this could be a cause for concern. I've already contacted Schiit about it and am waiting for a reply. But I also wanna know if any of you have experienced this.

Oh carp! Um, that doesn’t look right. Contact customer service & send them that GIF, eh. :triportsad:

Jan 26, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #12,872 of 13,350
Oh carp! Um, that doesn’t look right. Contact customer service & send them that GIF, eh. :triportsad:

I've already sent it in for replacement this morning.

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #12,874 of 13,350
Jan 28, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #12,876 of 13,350
Thanks for the useful info. Do you think there is any difference in Bluejeans BNC cables and BNC cables that advertise 100% silver?

I've used Pangea USB cables that use a silver coating and liked them but I've not seen if any of their regular digital cables come with BNC's or not. I use solid-core silver interconnects that I think very highly of but I've not compared them to the exact same cable in copper to tell you if being made with silver wire makes a big enough difference to justify the price difference. I would imagine that any quality 75 Ohm digital cable with BNC's would work great for you. Good luck!

Jan 28, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #12,877 of 13,350
Well, looky here! Seems like a good place to start :).

I am looking to pick up a Modi Multibit along with a Magni 3 and a Vali to either split via a Y connector or just use the SYS in a reverse configuration. These would be connected to one of 3 sets of cans, the ATH-M50x, Grado SR225e or the Massdrop HD6XX. I am looking for input on this stack/can combo. I'm sure parts of this have been asked before but this thread is huge. Any input from present users would be welcome.

For instance, I am getting the Vali as an intro to tube amps for myself. Would you recommend this? Or would you say scrap that idea and just go with a Jotunheim instead of the two amps/ especially with my current lineup of headphones. I am planning on getting a higher end set of closed-backs and/or a set of Hifiman HE4XX or Monoliths in the future.

Looking forward to chatting!

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #12,878 of 13,350

I am looking to pick up a Modi Multibit along with a Magni 3 and a Vali to either split via a Y connector or just use the SYS in a reverse configuration. These would be connected to one of 3 sets of cans, the ATH-M50x, Grado SR225e or the Massdrop HD6XX. I am looking for input on this stack/can combo. I'm sure parts of this have been asked before but this thread is huge. Any input from present users would be welcome.

For instance, I am getting the Vali as an intro to tube amps for myself. Would you recommend this? Or would you say scrap that idea and just go with a Jotunheim instead of the two amps/ especially with my current lineup of headphones. I am planning on getting a higher end set of closed-backs and/or a set of Hifiman HE4XX or Monoliths in the future.

I'm not sure I can answer everything, but I would say great to get the Vali to play with.
It is a very cheap way to get into tubes.
I have multiple setups but just at home:

Me (office): Jotunheim MB -> Sys (for whole house on/off capability only)
Son 1: Modi -> Vali 2
Son 2: Modi -> Magni

I put the Magni on a more cluttered desk where I was afraid of breaking a tube.

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #12,879 of 13,350
I'm not sure I can answer everything, but I would say great to get the Vali to play with.
It is a very cheap way to get into tubes.
I have multiple setups but just at home:

Me (office): Jotunheim MB -> Sys (for whole house on/off capability only)
Son 1: Modi -> Vali 2
Son 2: Modi -> Magni

I put the Magni on a more cluttered desk where I was afraid of breaking a tube.

What do you think of the Modi/Magni compared to the Jotunheim MB?

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #12,880 of 13,350
What do you think of the Modi/Magni compared to the Jotunheim MB?
I haven't done comparisons. I'm sure many others have.

Mike

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #12,881 of 13,350

20181019_142631617_iOS.jpg
wiring-top-half-2018October.png
under-table-wiring-2018October.png ... I'm a visual learner @NikonJ . Happy "Frankenstein-ing" (wiring this :ksc75smile: and that). No magic blue smoke, eh.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #12,882 of 13,350
Man, that's great! That looks like a lot of fun too! Im excited to try this. I still need to compare the amps in the Magni and Vali to the amp in the Jot and decide if this is the way I want to go, who knows, maybe ill get a Jot AND a Vali, lol. Thanks for the great pics!

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #12,883 of 13,350
Thanks for the useful info. Do you think there is any difference in Bluejeans BNC cables and BNC cables that advertise 100% silver?

I also use a Blue Jeans / Belden 1694A Coax Digital cable with a BNC connectors on both ends to connect my Parasound CD1 to my Gungnir. BJC's cables are well build and can be customized to any lenghth and color upon order. I've also experiemented with Copper vs Silver cables in the past. And if the difference I heard between them was real, then I perceived that the more expensive Silver cables have harsh and unpleasant treble. I'm not inclinded to buy another silver cable again, nor would I recommed them to anyone.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #12,884 of 13,350
Man, that's great! That looks like a lot of fun too! Im excited to try this. I still need to compare the amps in the Magni and Vali to the amp in the Jot and decide if this is the way I want to go, who knows, maybe ill get a Jot AND a Vali, lol. Thanks for the great pics!
Enjoy the tweaking. I reached the end of the little-brushed-aluminium-box-upgrade path. The Vali 2 is an odd little toaster. I use it almost exclusively (as compared to the Magni, that sits below it all). I can't put my finger on WHY I do it. The glowing tube is mesmerising to me, I guess. It does sound different to its solid-state brother. Good luck, eh.

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #12,885 of 13,350
I got a Straight Wire S-Link Digital because I liked how it looked and the price at the cable co wasn't too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back