Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 24, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #12,858 of 13,350
Yes it has preouts but when I connect them I hear nothing. What source would it play? I only have HDMI in from 3 separate sources. I hear none of those. Tape out provides no audio either. Yes it’s a monster of a receiver or was. Kind of old now. Monster price too.

It should work. do you have speaker output, how about headphones on the receiver?

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #12,860 of 13,350
Yes speaker output is connected to Left, Center, Right, surround L and R. What do you mean headphones on the receiver? My headphones are connected to the Valhalla 2. Trying to get my HDMI sources through the receiver to the Valhalla. I assume I need an HDMI audio extractor.

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #12,862 of 13,350
Sub has the LFE connection (White) being used running to the receiver. The Other Red one is open but can’t use only one to connect to Valhalla. Thanks.
Is there a setting in the HDMI source (blu ray or whatever) to output PCM rather than 5.1 audio? That’s what I had to do to get audio from some devices to a DAC.
Your receiver looks like it has optical output. Do you have a DAC with optical input? You could use that as a means to convert the HDMI to optical and to analog RCA for the Valhalla.
Alternately, if you have a TV, you could just output HDMI from your receiver to the TV and then feed the analog out from that to your Valhalla

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #12,863 of 13,350
Is there a setting in the HDMI source (blu ray or whatever) to output PCM rather than 5.1 audio? That’s what I had to do to get audio from some devices to a DAC.
Your receiver looks like it has optical output. Do you have a DAC with optical input? You could use that as a means to convert the HDMI to optical and to analog RCA for the Valhalla.
Alternately, if you have a TV, you could just output HDMI from your receiver to the TV and then feed the analog out from that to your Valhalla

Thanks, I will try your TV solution. Yeah I know about the DAC. I don't have one yet so that would obviously work.

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #12,864 of 13,350
Hi,
I am looking for a new DAC. I am torn between Schiit Yggy (A1) and a good NOS Dac (~$1500).

Some people in forum said that Schiit Yggy can't produce a sound as "organic" as a good NOS DAC. Yggy is more "clinical, detailed, bold and incisive".

I'm kind of confused with the terms. If Yggy is "detailed and incisive", why can't it convey the soul and the message of the songs it plays? Why is NOS is always referred as 'organic, fatiguing free, relaxed' source? What do you think about the sound of Yggy (A1)? Is it relaxed, fatiguing free or clinical?

I don't have chance to try out many DAC so these questions keep bugging me sometimes.

I appreciate any answers.

Best,
Huy.

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #12,865 of 13,350
I've received a brand new Schiit Gungnir yesterday and I noticed that the digital coax port has a lot of wiggle play. Theres no problems with the sound, but I was wondering if this could be a cause for concern. I've already contacted Schiit about it and am waiting for a reply. But I also wanna know if any of you have experienced this.

2s1ww6.gif

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #12,866 of 13,350
I've received a brand new Schiit Gungnir yesterday and I noticed that the digital coax port has a lot of wiggle play. Theres no problems with the sound, but I was wondering if this could be a cause for concern. I've already contacted Schiit about it and am waiting for a reply. But I also wanna know if any of you have experienced this.

Yeah, that's no good. I would get that fixed/exchanged under warranty. It could have been damaged during shipping.

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #12,867 of 13,350
Hi,
I am looking for a new DAC. I am torn between Schiit Yggy (A1) and a good NOS Dac (~$1500).

Some people in forum said that Schiit Yggy can't produce a sound as "organic" as a good NOS DAC. Yggy is more "clinical, detailed, bold and incisive".

I'm kind of confused with the terms. If Yggy is "detailed and incisive", why can't it convey the soul and the message of the songs it plays? Why is NOS is always referred as 'organic, fatiguing free, relaxed' source? What do you think about the sound of Yggy (A1)? Is it relaxed, fatiguing free or clinical?

I don't have chance to try out many DAC so these questions keep bugging me sometimes.

Best,
Huy.

If you're willing to try used, and a little bit higher budget... Metrum Onyx?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METRUM-A...=item4b5b4670a3:g:GV4AAOSwm~1cQL7T:rk:18:pf:0

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #12,868 of 13,350
Hi,

Best,
Huy.

"Some people in a forum." Blah, blah blah. Of course, you're now asking people in another forum for input.

The real issue regarding a DAC is this: Does it make music that sounds like real music? Organic, clinical, syrupy, analog- all BS.

@Baldr who designed the Yggy is a musician and a huge music fan. His DAC's sound like music, not like random adjectives. My Yggy 1 sounded great. If you buy and Yggy 1 yours will sound great, and eventually you can get it upgraded and it will sound better.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #12,869 of 13,350
Hi,
I go to concerts fairly often. I am often surprised at how real instruments in a real space sound so clinical, detailed, bold and incisive.

Then I go home and listen to my stereo. It plays the same music in a very organic way. And, I think to myself, "That's not how it's supposed to sound."

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #12,870 of 13,350
"Perfect Sound Forever" is one of those great lies foisted on the listening public in the early 80's for CD's (and live music doesn't have ticks & pops like vinyl or tape hiss).
It may be a perfect representation of the recording as long as the disc doesn't get damaged but its not a perfect representation of listening to the same music live.
Live music and reproduced music are two different things, once in a while our brains convince us that the "canned" experience is uncannily like being there but I think its an illusion we create for ourselves, albeit a pleasurable one. And, I like when it happens, but...
Listening with earbuds, earphones, and speakers (or other transducers, remember plasma tweeters?) are three different listening experiences and none completely replicate a live experience, there is no "HoloDeck" for music.
The most we can hope for is to discover what we like best and enjoy it for what it is and what it can do. It gives us the freedom to listen to what we want when we want.
I've been attending live classical concerts for 5 decades, I still shake my head at the multitude of differences between the live sound experience and the most expensive systems (upwards of a quarter mil) I've auditioned over the years, after every live concert. Heard a fellow once say the live experience was "too much to take in". Shades of "too many notes", LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back