Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 29, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #12,886 of 13,350
I got a Straight Wire S-Link Digital because I liked how it looked and the price at the cable co wasn't too bad.

I got my DH labs D-750 RCA to BNC for the same reason, I have a BJC digital coax and notice a minimal improvement in SQ.

Thanks for the useful info. Do you think there is any difference in Bluejeans BNC cables and BNC cables that advertise 100% silver?

In my experience digital cables make the least difference, speaker/headphone cables the most.

Analog ICs coming down in the middle. I use large, shielded power cables.

As usual for such subjects YMMV

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #12,887 of 13,350
hi there!

I got my DH labs D-750 RCA to BNC for the same reason, I have a BJC digital coax and notice a minimal improvement in SQ.

In my experience digital cables make the least difference, speaker/headphone cables the most.

Analog ICs coming down in the middle. I use large, shielded power cables.

As usual for such subjects YMMV

My system ain't any close to super high end but I also believe cables are important to a certain extent... as long as they are not the ones with "dollarama/dollar store" quality, we should get a fairly decent "connection" going... :)

So I will probably invest in headphones/speakers first... sources & DAC and pre-amp/amp... and use not any crazy expensive cables in between... of course if my system if worth 15k plus... my cables might be a tid bit more expensive, BUT as a group, I think it won't make any sense for me to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars in cables if the rest of my system won't be resolving such details...

Cheers!

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #12,888 of 13,350
You can get some quality cables without investing a lot, Belden makes some very good wire as well as Canare, Mogami, and even West Penn.

Start with at least OFC on headphone wire and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #12,889 of 13,350
hi there!

My system ain't any close to super high end but I also believe cables are important to a certain extent... as long as they are not the ones with "dollarama/dollar store" quality, we should get a fairly decent "connection" going... :)

So I will probably invest in headphones/speakers first... sources & DAC and pre-amp/amp... and use not any crazy expensive cables in between... of course if my system if worth 15k plus... my cables might be a tid bit more expensive, BUT as a group, I think it won't make any sense for me to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars in cables if the rest of my system won't be resolving such details...

Cheers!
If one goes inexpensive connectors, the metal clamps might be a bit on the soft side (that's what I noticed with my Amazon Basics parts). I shy away from premium cables, as my bloody house-panthers (cats) do chew on them (on pain of water pistol-ing). I try to keep my cables neat and tucked away (that's my quirk). And my SCUBA-ravaged ears can't pick up cheap-ass-cable analogue distortion. Meh...

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #12,890 of 13,350
Enjoy the tweaking. I reached the end of the little-brushed-aluminium-box-upgrade path. The Vali 2 is an odd little toaster. I use it almost exclusively (as compared to the Magni, that sits below it all). I can't put my finger on WHY I do it. The glowing tube is mesmerising to me, I guess. It does sound different to its solid-state brother. Good luck, eh.
Yup, the rig on my desk is Mimby & Vali 2. Can’t be beat for its size...

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #12,891 of 13,350
I just received the Yggy. I noticed when it begins to play a song, there is something inside making a 'tack' sound and the led lights in the front blinks once.

What is making the 'tack' sound?

The source of music is Raspberry Pi + Allo Signature + Volumio . Coxial to Schiit.

Also, I notice that if I use Laptop - USB - Schiit, when play a song it does not 'tack' , i guess this is due to the Raspberry Pi and Volumio, they cut the signal when a song stop or it goes to next song.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #12,892 of 13,350
I just received the Yggy. I noticed when it begins to play a song, there is something inside making a 'tack' sound and the led lights in the front blinks once.

What is making the 'tack' sound?
IIRC the Schiit DACs all "tack" when there's a sample rate change. I've never heard it because I preprocess everything to 96KHz.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #12,896 of 13,350
Hi, here is the answer from Schiit, it took 15mins to have them answer :)

"
Hello,

Yes, the clicking sound you are referring to is the Muting relay. When the incoming datastream is interrupted, Yggdrasil will mute. The relay is rated for 15 million cycles, so don’t stress about it. Or buy a better transport. Or use USB.

"

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #12,897 of 13,350
Well, it'll still occur whenever the sampling rate changes. 15 million cycles, many things will go out 100 times over before that relay. Enjoy the tunes! I've never had a piece of Schiit go bad.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #12,898 of 13,350
I did you preprocess everthing to 96Khz?
I am assuming you meant "how" or "why".

How: I use minimserver to feed a streamer. I have it configured to upsample (resample?) to 96Khz/24b.

Why: One of the components in my chain (2ch, not headphones) upsamples internally to 96Khz for DSP reasons. Since it's an older component I've assumed that the newer software running in ffmpeg is better than the chip. ffmpeg is what minimserver is using to upsample.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back