Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #12,827 of 13,350
Jun 29, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #12,828 of 13,350
Hey folks! Happy Friday!!! Hope all is well!!!

I have a Valhalla 2... but I believe you can use the same family... so.. JJ E88CC's have been good to my ears... not expensive at all...

NOS and Amperex for instance might be BETTER option but I really don't want to spend big bucks on tubes... :)

I have ordered a pair of 6922EH from ElectroHarmonix just to give it a try... they are also quite affordable... I'll let you know in the next few weeks... :)

BTW, if the amp starts adding a "pitch" over the music... and I "pause" the music and/or restart the computer and it goes away... is this a sign that the tubes are starting to fail? :frowning2:

Cheers!

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #12,829 of 13,350
I have the Mjolnir 2 and I’m very happy with it. Any good tube suggestions?

I like my Amperex Jan's and Telefunken's about the best. But there are plenty of top notch tubes at a lesser prices to be had.

The proof, as they say, is in the listening. Especially if your MJ2 is used both for HP and speaker listening.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #12,832 of 13,350
But I was listening to my LYR3 yesterday with the "stock" Tungsol versus my MJ2 with some pricey Amperex's, both thru SE outs,and the LYR3 holds it's own quite well. I'd be hard pressed to say which I prefer.

What I'm about to say might cause a negative reaction amongst long time "tube rollers" who may read this. Believe me, I'm not trolling & am just sharing my personal opinion; neither do I proclaim to be an expert about tubes which I'm not & neither am I putting down long time "tube rollers" ' opinions. So here goes : I have a Schiit Lyr (1). I've owned very expensive NOS Amperex & Telefunken tubes. A few weeks ago I bought new (cheap) electro harmonix 6922 tubes & new (relatively cheap) Genalex Gold Lions e88cc 6922.

I concur with your statement of being hard pressed to say which you prefer between your stock Tungsol vs the more pricey tubes because that's exactly what I experienced also. The reason I tried new tubes is because I've been burned a couple of times with expensive NOS tubes that either went defective after a few weeks or that I had to return (never without a fight) because they just didn't sound right. To make a long story short, I sold my expensive Telefunkens & Amperex tubes & I find the sound of the new tubes to be just as good. Finally, with new tubes I'm pretty much guaranteed "peace of mind" that they're going work without any issues.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #12,833 of 13,350
Good evening folks! Happy Canada Day loooong weekend to my fellow canadian friends!

What I'm about to say might cause a negative reaction amongst long time "tube rollers" who may read this. Believe me, I'm not trolling & am just sharing my personal opinion; neither do I proclaim to be an expert about tubes which I'm not & neither am I putting down long time "tube rollers" ' opinions. So here goes : I have a Schiit Lyr (1). I've owned very expensive NOS Amperex & Telefunken tubes. A few weeks ago I bought new (cheap) electro harmonix 6922 tubes & new (relatively cheap) Genalex Gold Lions e88cc 6922.

I concur with your statement of being hard pressed to say which you prefer between your stock Tungsol vs the more pricey tubes because that's exactly what I experienced also. The reason I tried new tubes is because I've been burned a couple of times with expensive NOS tubes that either went defective after a few weeks or that I had to return (never without a fight) because they just didn't sound right. To make a long story short, I sold my expensive Telefunkens & Amperex tubes & I find the sound of the new tubes to be just as good. Finally, with new tubes I'm pretty much guaranteed "peace of mind" that they're going work without any issues.

Nice... I have not received yet the Electro Harmonix I ordered... but I have been using the JJ E88CCs and I am quite happy... I haven’t tried any fancy NOS to be honest, but it kind of scares me to see the prices to be like a few hundred bucks.... and considering tubes DO go bad... and it might be even harder and more expensive to get hold of the “good” ones... :frowning2:, I think I will stick to new production tubes...

Cheers!

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #12,834 of 13,350
Over on the LYR3 tube rolling thread the latest darling of the 6SN7 family is the Westinghouse NOS WGTB's, $22.00/single, $45.00/matched pair(last time I checked). A great sounding tube.

On the subject of JJ's, the two 12AU7's that came with my Rogue RH-5 are every bit as good as some of the pricier other brands I have tried / purchased.

That being said, with the exception of some extraordinarily expensive and rare to find RCA's the most expensive 6SN7's and 12AU7's I've come across are, in general, cheaper than many of the top shelf(?) 6DJ8's I've come across.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #12,835 of 13,350
Good evening folks! Happy Canada Day loooong weekend to my fellow canadian friends!

Nice... I have not received yet the Electro Harmonix I ordered... but I have been using the JJ E88CCs and I am quite happy... I haven’t tried any fancy NOS to be honest, but it kind of scares me to see the prices to be like a few hundred bucks.... and considering tubes DO go bad... and it might be even harder and more expensive to get hold of the “good” ones... :frowning2:, I think I will stick to new production tubes...

Cheers!
Heh, I wonder if the equipment from the DEW line is sitting in a warehouse somewhere. I bet they used tubes. I have this image of you plucking them off gear & plugging them into your Valhalla. :ksc75smile:

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #12,836 of 13,350

It’s one of the reasons that I’m sticking with solid-state (I.e., Magni). My lustful eyes sneak peeks at the Vali2. I have this fantasy of stopping by flea markets as I drive up to our woodlot and rummaging for tubes.
I’m intensely curious what the ‘tube sound’ is like. It’s a fascinating hybrid of 21st & 19-20th technologies.... almost diesel-punk in look! Meh, just my 2¥...

Jun 30, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #12,837 of 13,350
It’s one of the reasons that I’m sticking with solid-state (I.e., Magni). My lustful eyes sneak peeks at the Vali2. I have this fantasy of stopping by flea markets as I drive up to our woodlot and rummaging for tubes.
I’m intensely curious what the ‘tube sound’ is like. It’s a fascinating hybrid of 21st & 19-20th technologies.... almost diesel-punk in look! Meh, just my 2¥...

With SS I find the sound consistently the same day in and day out and I find that's a big plus once you find an SS amp sound you like.
To my ears the Ragnarok is a great sounding amp and I've always owned pre and power amps simultaneously (and now HP amps) from both camps for the variety and the subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) differences. I do also like the Jot as long as I use it with my Loki, the Jot is very different to my ears from the Rag.

"I’m intensely curious what the ‘tube sound’ is like." The Force is strong with tubes, one could easily end up inside the event horizon with no chance of escape.

(diesel-punk) Love that terminology!!!

Jun 30, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #12,838 of 13,350
I do also like the Jot as long as I use it with my Loki, the Jot is very different to my ears from the Rag.
How are they different?
I have the Jot and have Rag on order (7/3 ??? backorder).

Mike

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #12,839 of 13,350
How are they different?
I have the Jot and have Rag on order (7/3 ??? backorder).

Mike

I hear the Jot as forward or bold in the mids, unforgiving of less than well recorded highs, big / solid bass response, not much depth to the sound field. Okay for most Jazz and rock.

The Rag has a presence that is not forward or recessed, a lot of the best characteristics of a tube amp but with a bit more transparency, and extension and control at the extreme top and bottom than any of my tube HP amps. My go to SS sound for my mostly classical leanings.
I like the Rags multiple inputs both SE and balanced, that allows me to compare DACs in a relatively quick A/B fashion.
Compares surprisingly very well with my LYR3, which makes the LYR3 a bargain in my book.

Small point; I can plug and unplug my headphones (SE or balanced) without having to hold the Rag down with one hand like I do with the Jot. If your a one amp owner who leaves their phones plugged in all the time and don't do a lot of A/B comparing, it's a non-issue.

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #12,840 of 13,350
I hear the Jot as forward or bold in the mids, unforgiving of less than well recorded highs, big / solid bass response, not much depth to the sound field. Okay for most Jazz and rock.

The Rag has a presence that is not forward or recessed, a lot of the best characteristics of a tube amp but with a bit more transparency, and extension and control at the extreme top and bottom than any of my tube HP amps. My go to SS sound for my mostly classical leanings.
I like the Rags multiple inputs both SE and balanced, that allows me to compare DACs in a relatively quick A/B fashion.
Compares surprisingly very well with my LYR3, which makes the LYR3 a bargain in my book.

Small point; I can plug and unplug my headphones (SE or balanced) without having to hold the Rag down with one hand like I do with the Jot. If your a one amp owner who leaves their phones plugged in all the time and don't do a lot of A/B comparing, it's a non-issue.
Thanks. Excited to receive my Rag and move my Jot to my home system to act as a DAC and a local HP amp.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back