Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 24, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #12,436 of 13,350
If you're talking about Chord Mojo, which I believe you are, it's output is SE only and will only feed your amp SE, not balanced. You will need to look at a purely balanced DAC option if you want to go balanced into a Jotunheim. Such as Yggy, Gumby or even the DAC card for the Jotunheim...if staying in the Schiit family.

Ahh ok, so it won't convert the signal to allow a balanced output like the cavalli liquid carbon does when using the mojo as the dac. Thats a bummer.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #12,438 of 13,350
Jotunheim will output a balanced signal through its front 4 pin xlr regardless of input. That is the nature of the unique pivot point topology inside the Jotunheim. I have Mimby going to Jotunheim via rca, and Jotunheim to hd650 via 4pin xlr.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #12,439 of 13,350
Ahh ok, so it won't convert the signal to allow a balanced output like the cavalli liquid carbon does when using the mojo as the dac. Thats a bummer.

The output will leave the amp balanced but if the incoming signal is not balanced, I would ask what is the point? Since Jotunheim is balanced from input to output, I would argue that feeding it a SE signal is selling its capabilities short. Take advantage of its fully balanced capabilities and feed it a balanced signal. My opinion, anyway.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #12,440 of 13,350
Hey everyone - I've got a rather specific question. I've been agonizing over making this move and I might need a little bit of enabling/encouragement from ya's to finally do it. :wink: Anyone out there with an LCD4 make the jump from a Bifrost Multibit/Lyr 2 stack to a Gungnir Multibit/Mjolnir 2 stack? I wanna go balanced and, this the direction I've been thinking of going in. Thoughts?

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #12,441 of 13,350
The output will leave the amp balanced but if the incoming signal is not balanced, I would ask what is the point? Since Jotunheim is balanced from input to output, I would argue that feeding it a SE signal is selling its capabilities short. Take advantage of its fully balanced capabilities and feed it a balanced signal. My opinion, anyway.

of course you´re right. if you have a balanced source better but it´s more one possibility in more offered by the Jot.
i had bal. amplfier that worked only with balanced source

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #12,442 of 13,350
of course you´re right. if you have a balanced source better but it´s more one possibility in more offered by the Jot.
i had bal. amplfier that worked only with balanced source

Got it. Out of curiosity, which amp only accepted a balanced input?

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #12,444 of 13,350
Multibit for jotenheim was big fact but no space in the interior and i think that the main section does not support the power demanded for a dsp sharc and dacs.a fpga solution chord style?
In every case, the akm 4490 is a good chip

Yea I'm sure you are right abotu that.

It seems that the AKM DAC's are mostly used by Denon/Onkyo/JVC, etc....
Their main customers seem to be Japanese audio brands, which makes sense considering its a japanese brand.

In which case I probably have alot of experience with the sounds they make since I have a JVC head unit in one of my cars and 2 Denon Heos.

Whereas it seems that TI sells to lots of set top box companies and car audio mfg (some OEM's).... either way I'm anxious for my Fulla2 to arrive so I can hear how it sounds :)

Its in the mail and should be arriving in a few hours.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #12,445 of 13,350
Akm 4490 is used in high-end equipment too. I never tried multibit dacs and i believe that sound really good but the principal thing is the dac board of.jot costs only 100 dollars so the.objective is quality at low price

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #12,446 of 13,350
Akm 4490 is used in high-end equipment too. I never tried multibit dacs and i believe that sound really good but the principal thing is the dac board of.jot costs only 100 dollars so the.objective is quality at low price

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/akm-semiconductor-inc/AK4490EQ/974-1060-1-ND/4918895

If I knew all the chips in there I could look them all up but still.

That is how there is money to be made and they can still build in the USA.

Since IC costs are quite low these days so most of the cost is in labor and R&D.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #12,447 of 13,350
i have an earmaxpro small tube amp with dt880 cans. my amp has no balanced option. if i buy a gumby multibit would i be neglecting its full potential by not having gear to extract balanced performance from gumby. its looking like an end game solution for me so upgrading to balanced cans and amp is not really an option. some say not much difference from SE to balanced and some seem to swear by balanced. cheers mk

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #12,448 of 13,350
  i have an earmaxpro small tube amp with dt880 cans. my amp has no balanced option. if i buy a gumby multibit would i be neglecting its full potential by not having gear to extract balanced performance from gumby. its looking like an end game solution for me so upgrading to balanced cans and amp is not really an option. some say not much difference from SE to balanced and some seem to swear by balanced. cheers mk

You have no worries here. The single ended outputs are internally summed. They are just as good as the balanced outputs.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #12,449 of 13,350
hi Winders,

When you say SE summed and that being just as good as balanced could you give me some detail here as i don't really understand these terms. could you explain why SE is as good as balanced?  it is very encouraging news though!! learning fast

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #12,450 of 13,350
Well, I fibbed a bit. XLR is "better". But using the single ended outputs is fine. Let's put it this way, if Gumby had been designed with SE outputs only, those outputs would be no better than the SE outputs Gumby has now. Just pretend the XLR outputs aren't there and you will be fine. If you ever need them, they are there.

I can't tell you how Schiit summed the XLR output signals to get the SE outputs. But, rest assured, they did it the best way they could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back