Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #11,986 of 13,350
  It is good to know the Valhalla 2 will drive 600 ohm cans. I have not have had the pleasure to try mine with any of that high an impedance yet.

Same experience with my Gen1 T1s.  They sound great.  High impedance but high total efficiency.  As long as the output rails can swing big enough, you're good.  In this case, definitely great.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #11,987 of 13,350

Same experience with my Gen1 T1s.  They sound great.  High impedance but high total efficiency.  As long as the output rails can swing big enough, you're good.  In this case, definitely great.

Good info. I may need to grab a Schiit Mani soon, I have a phono preamp but I am not happy with it. Any of you folks currently using the Mani and can you offer any impressions?

thanks

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #11,988 of 13,350
  Good info. I may need to grab a Schiit Mani soon, I have a phono preamp but I am not happy with it. Any of you folks currently using the Mani and can you offer any impressions?

thanks

Been using one for a few months now. What're you currently using?

Compared to my Phono Box S:

-Slightly more detailed and more treble content. Not overly bright but brighter than the Phono Box
-Leaner in the bass, bass response feels tighter and less round
-Slightly more noisy 

Both are in around the same price bracket so I didn't expect a huge upgrade or anything. If you want your vinyl to sound warm and smooth, the Mani probably isn't that. It's certainly what I was looking for as now my vinyl setup competes pretty well with my digital (Bifrost 4490) in the realm of detail and treble response. My scope of experience with phono pres is pretty narrow but for it's price I don't really find myself wanting much more out of it.

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #11,989 of 13,350
Bought the Mani 6 months ago, and could not be more pleased. Records sound so lifelike...all aspects of the sound the Mani produces are great, soundstage, depth and width, detail and clarity are fantastic, as is the bass response. Works with both mm and mc.

After doing a Google search for reviews and watching this guy, who is into vinyl big- time, I bought it.

https://youtu.be/R4PvNVBUQGY

It really should cost more than it does.

My setup: Music Hall mmf7 w/ Goldring Eroica High Output Mc
Woo Audio WA5 ( Elrog 300b, Sophia Electric 6sn7 and 274b mesh plate) What a sound!
Rebuilt Threshold S200 amp
"Lightspeed" passive attenuator ( better than pre-amps costing way more)
Pair of Wavetouch "Grand Teton SE" 2 way speakers ( incredible sound and value, just like the Mani)
Pair of AKG K1000 headphones.
AKG BAP 1000 Audiosphere

I also have the Schiit Multibit Gungnir for cd's.....another great sounding product!

Hope that helps. :)

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #11,990 of 13,350
  Been using one for a few months now. What're you currently using?

Compared to my Phono Box S:

-Slightly more detailed and more treble content. Not overly bright but brighter than the Phono Box
-Leaner in the bass, bass response feels tighter and less round
-Slightly more noisy 

Both are in around the same price bracket so I didn't expect a huge upgrade or anything. If you want your vinyl to sound warm and smooth, the Mani probably isn't that. It's certainly what I was looking for as now my vinyl setup competes pretty well with my digital (Bifrost 4490) in the realm of detail and treble response. My scope of experience with phono pres is pretty narrow but for it's price I don't really find myself wanting much more out of it.

I am currently using a Little Bear tube type pre-amp out of China. I thought it would be more of a kit than it was but you do get to work on it some long after it is put together lol. I keep having some hum issues and even on a good day the background hum is more than I like. I figured I would get something that I could count on while I delve back into the tube pre and see if I can clean up some of the noise issues.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #11,992 of 13,350
What should i do with my modi 2 when my bifrost multibit arrive in the mail?
Buy a magni 2 and use it at school?
But then then i would need new closed headphones :p

I had that combo. There are worse ideas. You would be very pleased.

These are good problems to have, buy more Schiit.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #11,993 of 13,350
Schiit's customer service continues to impress me.  In a couple of weeks shy of 5 years as a customer, they've been unfailingly helpful, responsive, pro-active and accommodating.

Back when the "4490" Bifrost was just about to be announced (but hadn't been), I'd finally gotten around to ordering the "Uber" upgrade.  Rather than them just sending me one of the Uber boards they MUST have had on hand, they held the order and sent me one of the first half-dozen, hand-built, "4490" boards.  I got it a week before it was announced and didn't realize what they'd done until Jason posted pictures of the new analog/DAC board.

Was a fun discussion with Alex about how that came about - a nice, and personal, touch.

Today, as Amy was about to ship me my new Lyr 2 and Bifrost MB*, she contacted me to see if I wanted to change my shipping in order to have the unit for the weekend.  There was no need for her to do that, but the net result is that I'll get the unit 4 days earlier than I expected and at $20 less than if I'd specified "next day" shipping.

(*I decided NOT to upgrade my current Bifrost "4490" to MB so that I could have all four Bifrost versions side by side, as I have the D/S boards to hand, and have a buyer from my existing Bifrost anxiously waiting for a very good deal indeed).

Good people, good products, good Schiit.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #11,994 of 13,350
Is there a Valhalla 2 Appreciation thread?  

This is my third day with it, and I am very impressed, coming from the magni 2 uber. 

There were no rubber feet for it in the box, but hell, it makes the HD600 sound soooo good, correcting most of the things I found lacking in the Magni 2 uber, without adding any new flaws. 

Great thing this Valhalla 2. Even when it is not exactly what I was looking (forward, Klipsch like sound), I think this combo is a keeper and end game for me. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #11,995 of 13,350
  Is there a Valhalla 2 Appreciation thread?  

This is my third day with it, and I am very impressed, coming from the magni 2 uber. 

There were no rubber feet for it in the box, but hell, it makes the HD600 sound soooo good, correcting most of the things I found lacking in the Magni 2 uber, without adding any new flaws. 

Great thing this Valhalla 2. Even when it is not exactly what I was looking (forward, Klipsch like sound), I think this combo is a keeper and end game for me. 

I do not know of a specific thread but I really like the line out capability on the amp. I transition easily from headphones and Martin Logan speakers and a Klipsch sub.

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #11,996 of 13,350
  I do not know of a specific thread but I really like the line out capability on the amp. I transition easily from headphones and Martin Logan speakers and a Klipsch sub.

Does it color the sound in some way?  I have no experience with any pre-amp output, and I am comparing the Valhalla 2 to the magni 2 uber, but the latter is connected to the pre-amp outputs of the former. I dont know if it is affecting what I am listening from the Magni 2 uber. 

What do you think?  

The reason I do it this way is because I want to be able to switch between amps as fast and as easily as possible. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #11,997 of 13,350

Does it color the sound in some way?  I have no experience with any pre-amp output, and I am comparing the Valhalla 2 to the magni 2 uber, but the latter is connected to the pre-amp outputs of the former. I dont know if it is affecting what I am listening from the Magni 2 uber. 

What do you think?  

The reason I do it this way is because I want to be able to switch between amps as fast and as easily as possible. 

It depends on which tubes you have in the valhalla 2 at the time and if you are looking for the warm "tube" sound. I run another dac/amp through the valhalla 2, I can plug my headphones into either or listen to speakers through the valhalla 2 and still keep headphones in the dac/amp. I hope that makes sense but I am getting use out of both and the final stage before the speakers is the Valhalla 2.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #11,998 of 13,350
Checking in with a Bitfrost Mulitbit/Valhalla 2 setup. My DT880 600ohm cans sound incredible through this setup.

It is good to know the Valhalla 2 will drive 600 ohm cans. I have not have had the pleasure to try mine with any of that high an impedance yet.

My dt880 is run through the same setup. Just got a Bimby today to compare to my 4490 Bifrost. Not quite as good as my hd650s through the same setup, but they drive my 600ohm Beyers very well.

@Torq

Have you done any written comparisons between the Bifrost 4490 and Bimby? Interested to see if my findings line up with yours. My Bimby has been getting warmed up for the last 6 hours or so.

Aug 6, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #11,999 of 13,350
My dt880 is run through the same setup. Just got a Bimby today to compare to my 4490 Bifrost. Not quite as good as my hd650s through the same setup, but they drive my 600ohm Beyers very well.

@Torq

Have you done any written comparisons between the Bifrost 4490 and Bimby? Interested to see if my findings line up with yours. My Bimby has been getting warmed up for the last 6 hours or so.

Not really ... a few comments in a post I made ages ago, based on not-much critical listening ... 

However, I'm about to (see this post/thread to see when that occurs, though the results will get their own thread).

I'm now in a position to do back to back comparisons with all variations of Bifrost ... i.e. both USB Gen 1 & 2 boards, the original analog/DAC board, Uber board, the "4490" and multi-bit.  So I'll likely compare all eight configurations.  I might, in the interests of time, do the four primary comparisons and then only do a single USB board comparison with the unit that ultimately I think sounds the best, but we'll see ... my intent is to do the whole eight-way shebang.

I might also do something double-blind here ... but that depends a lot on sensible, suitably skilled, local participation and timing.

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #12,000 of 13,350
Could you post picturesof your Valhalla 2 turned on?? Mine has been on forthree days, and i am enjoying it very muvh with my HD600, but some of the tubes are quite jiggly, and their light is very dim. I cant notice iff they twosmall tubes are on when i look at them from the front . I have been comparing them to the magni 2 uber and at 12 o'clock , the magni is coniderably louder thanthe Valhalla.

Is all this normal??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back